Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 05:52 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
Not everyone can live in a 'nice' neighborhood. Why should some poor people get to live in better neighborhoods and others can't? Better neighborhoods are made by the people who live there, pay for them, and keep them nice.rce productive.

By the way, there is zero reason why lower class people can't make their neighborhoods great, foregoing the need to move out. Raise your kids right, build a community, and build community wealth. This has happened and is happening all over America. It is happening in NYC. The process isn't magic. it begins with strong family values, which migrate out into the community. Failure to impart and live by these values does not obligate the rest of society.
The flip side of that is, again, why should working class neighborhoods always have to accomodate people on SSI? They have to live somewhere, so why can't wealthy neighborhoods take on some of this?

Nationally, btw, most people are working class (if that) and nothing in general changes that. The only jobs that really have decent benefits are either union or management jobs, and most private sector jobs are neither. Work hard and make a lot of money? That's a crock of ****!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2013, 09:54 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,397,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
The flip side of that is, again, why should working class neighborhoods always have to accomodate people on SSI? They have to live somewhere, so why can't wealthy neighborhoods take on some of this?

Nationally, btw, most people are working class (if that) and nothing in general changes that. The only jobs that really have decent benefits are either union or management jobs, and most private sector jobs are neither. Work hard and make a lot of money? That's a crock of ****!
People on SSI should live in neighborhoods that naturally cost the amount of money that the average SSI recipient can afford. If you don't make more than an average SSI recipient, then you are in the same economic class as are they and it is economically just that you share the same neighborhood space. However, I didn't think we were talking about SSI recipients, who tend to be the elderly and disabled. Neither of these groups tend to cause much trouble. I thought the issue was with section 8 voucher families. I'm against the existence of section 8 outside of the poorest neighborhoods, as if you are too poor to afford rent than you should not complain that you have a roof over your head amidst other poor people who pay their entire rent from their paychecks. Why should poor individuals on assistance live in better neighborhoods than do poor people not on assistance? It gives a huge incentive to get on assistance rather than to actually work. Furthermore, what, then, gives actual poor working people incentive to work and build their own lives to the point that they can improve things for themselves and their children, if they are just working to catch up to section 8 recipients who ran ahead of them to the better neighborhood?

There are still ways to make money. If you are too old to take advantage of the opportunity to go to college and get into very attainable professions such as nursing, police work, or physical therapy work for instance, then you can raise your kids well enough that they can more readily attain such positions. It takes generations. We have moved to a high-skill economy in terms of middle class attainment. Low-skill service and low-skill professional jobs [many professions that used to be high skill are now considered low(er) skill in the outsourcing economy] are likely never going to pay well again. In the internet age, no family has an excuse as to why they did not know what fields to get into and how to achieve status in those fields. It may take years to get a perspective on the economy enough to make a correct career choice, but you can do it for yourself years down the road or do it so that you can better guide your kids. Personally, I lost about a decade of my youth adjusting to the rapidly changing economy after 9/11. When I do move up, it will be because of a lot of study and work. Why should a section 8 recipient be able to move next to me when they haven't gone through the same insanely difficult process to get ahead on their own?

Old 08-18-2013, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
People on SSI should live in neighborhoods that naturally cost the amount of money that the average SSI recipient can afford. If you don't make more than an average SSI recipient, then you are in the same economic class as are they and it is economically just that you share the same neighborhood space.Personally, I lost about a decade of my youth adjusting to the rapidly changing economy after 9/11. When I do move up, it will be because of a lot of study and work. Why should a section 8 recipient be able to move next to me when they haven't gone through the same insanely difficult process to get ahead on their own?
SSI receipients generally can't afford to live even in the poorest neighborhoods without a voucher. But why should they all be concentrated in the poorest neighborhoods? In some cases, they are dumped in outright dangerous neighborhoods.

But back to integration efforts. the luxury housing in Manhattan, much of it is 80/20s. So you do indeed have SSI receipients on Section 8 living in the same building as people making lots of money. Through NYCHA, you have low income residents living in very expensive Chelsea or the UES. Other government programs allow poor people to live in Hells Kitchen.

So basically, all your hard work and study in NYC is not getting you any further than a person who is smart about applying to welfare programs and housing subsidies.

Old 08-18-2013, 02:09 AM

19,049 posts, read 13,964,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
So basically, all your hard work and study in NYC is not getting you any further than a person who is smart about applying to welfare programs and housing subsidies.
Exactly why the middle class is fleeing NY. In many cases, taking valuable pension dollars with them. It's a lose-lose for NYC/NY all because of overly-liberal social policies that enable this nonsense.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Exactly why the middle class is fleeing NY. In many cases, taking valuable pension dollars with them. It's a lose-lose for NYC/NY all because of overly-liberal social policies that enable this nonsense.
You are quite correct on this matter and its why I too am leaving.

The situation you describe means NYC will have a fiscal collapse, like Detroit if that trend continues. Oh, and with possible additional federal cuts pending, plus the municipal unions wanting retroactive pay raises, the city's budget battles are going to get ugly.

Old 08-18-2013, 04:39 PM

620 posts, read 1,073,451 times
Im ALLLL for it !!!! Yassssss

I dont care if section 8s live next to me. They are people too. Im sooooooo for this.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:01 AM

268 posts, read 340,667 times
Quote:
I agree with you. This city is going to the dogs.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:10 AM

19,049 posts, read 13,964,273 times
We're leaving as soon as I have my pension in hand. More NY/NYC tax dollars flowing into free-state economies. I'm plan on narrowing down the field in the next few years. As of now I'm still all over the map.

The only chance of us staying is if I "earn" my daughters a free ride in SUNY, but the "price" I'd pay to "earn" that sucks so I prefer not to.

Old 08-19-2013, 10:18 AM

26 posts, read 40,434 times
NYCHA was created to move families out of tenements which was in poor conditions.

Old 08-19-2013, 11:06 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,930,168 times
Quote:
We're leaving as soon as I have my pension in hand. More NY/NYC tax dollars flowing into free-state economies. I'm plan on narrowing down the field in the next few years. As of now I'm still all over the map.

The only chance of us staying is if I "earn" my daughters a free ride in SUNY, but the "price" I'd pay to "earn" that sucks so I prefer not to.
I think you would like New Hampshire - we have a place there.
Have not been lately, no time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City