Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 10:20 AM

18 posts, read 40,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by matzoman View Post
Many latins are white. Latin is an ethnicity not a race. Just how white are you?
Sorry, I saw someone on another thread use "Latin" to describe restaurants in East Elmhurst, so I thought that was the term to use on this forum. My mistake. As far as how white I am, I'm of English and Eastern European ancestry so pretty white.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 10:36 AM

1,557 posts, read 3,306,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whofan View Post
Sorry, I saw someone on another thread use "Latin" to describe restaurants in East Elmhurst, so I thought that was the term to use on this forum. My mistake. As far as how white I am, I'm of English and Eastern European ancestry so pretty white.
You will be fine. Like an earlier poster said, Business likes the color green best.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:12 PM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whofan View Post
Always wondered that. For example, if a white person were to walk into a Chinese restaurant in Flushing, would they be treated rudely?
No they wouldn't and I am speaking from personal experience.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:42 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
I always find it strange that white people think they are the victims of anything...they are perpetually afraid of anything nonwhite. The irony is that they perpetrated the most vile, violent and vicious attacks on people of color for centuries, and still maintain all the power....yet they are the ones that are always afraid!

WTF is wrong with you? If blacks can eat safely at the 99.9% of restaurants which are nonblack..what are you afraid of excatly?

Old 08-20-2013, 01:06 PM

912 posts, read 2,099,637 times
Just avoid Romanian restaurants

Old 08-20-2013, 01:18 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,236,113 times
Some people have to escalate things to a whole different level. The question is will you be treated RUDELY, not will you be a victim of an attack.

I went to a spanish restaurant 2 years ago in Jackson Heights. There were 10 of us--2 white females and the rest men. The waitresses treated the 2 of us like ish and acted like they didn't understand English but when the men asked for something they smiled and got the order.

And yes, I've gone to Chinese restaurants in Downtown Flushing and in Chinatown in the city and yes, sometimes they were rude. I go to the salon for a mani pedi and they speak under their breaths to each other in their language and do that stupid giggle. You ignore it and if you can't stand it that much you just don't go back.

Old 08-20-2013, 01:23 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,238,105 times
Who cares??

This is NYC. If you want predictable. smiley service, stay in the suburbs and go to olive garden.

Not knowing what you're going to get is part of the adventure.

Old 08-20-2013, 01:29 PM

18 posts, read 40,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I always find it strange that white people think they are the victims of anything...they are perpetually afraid of anything nonwhite. The irony is that they perpetrated the most vile, violent and vicious attacks on people of color for centuries, and still maintain all the power....yet they are the ones that are always afraid!

WTF is wrong with you? If blacks can eat safely at the 99.9% of restaurants which are nonblack..what are you afraid of excatly?
Sorry. I thought I would be unwelcome at ethnic restaurants in ethnic neighborhoods (ex: Chinese restaurant in Chinese neighborhood) because of all the bad things white people have done to people of color. I know it's probably a stupid thing to think. That's why I made this thread, to find out whether I'm all worried for nothing or not. And so far, it seems I am worried for nothing. I'm sorry if I offended anyone with this thread, that was not my intention. Thanks to everyone for all your replies.

Old 08-20-2013, 01:56 PM

56 posts, read 124,168 times
I didn't find your question offensive, Whofan, just a little naive.

However, bellakin up there who gets offended when people speak to each other in their native language and "do that stupid giggle"-that's another story.

Old 08-20-2013, 02:11 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,580,539 times
It's also very funny when someone assumes you don't speak their language. My very white New York born cousin is fluent in Mandarin and Cantonese, and has spent a considerable amount of time working in China and New York. He speaks more fluently than my Chinese-American friend who grew up hearing it at home and often surprises people
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City