Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 07:02 AM

25,556 posts, read 24,061,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
This is true in many situations in spite of the ridiculous comments made here about ivies and so on.
It is not racist, but culture-ist.

The brutal truth is - such names situate people in a certain cultural realm and quite often people do not want to deal with it. For anything, there are a million applicants. Many of those can be disqualified immediately. You are still left with 100 or so equally qualified people and it becomes challenging to choose. So second-tier sets of criteria come into play. And the thing is, people are looking to eliminate people any way they can because, again, there are just so many interesting and qualified applicants whether it be for school admissions, jobs and internships, whatever. Having sat on many committees for various things, I can tell you that it is overwhelming.

Its amazing how people here have a friend who doesn't like to hire someone with Black sounding names, and then they declare that one owner of a small business speaks for all employers. WOW
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2013, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Yeah, I get that and I'm not blaming them at all. It's just that at the same time there are some beautiful sounding ethnic names that aren't being used because of what you said. I personally think that my husband's name would have been awesome if it had been Javier. It's a shame that people assume things based on something like a name.
Then again, look at politicians with Marco Rubio. You do have successful Hispanic politicians (or people in other fields) with Hispanic names. Ditto for other ethnic groups and their names.

Old 09-08-2013, 07:18 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,348,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
In our current climate this is not really true in practice, or not perceived as such anyway.
Certain groups are understood as litigation risks and therefore are not hired.
Tendencies to pul the race card and all, and who can prove or disprove this ... ? Very difficult. So why bother, making yourself vulnerable.
It is still true. HR departments need to keep stats on diversity to share with Legal departments for defending certain matters and with regulators to respond to inquires.

Old 09-08-2013, 08:06 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,231,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
You got admissions data from Georgetown itself to confirm this? You interviewed Georgetown officials?

I see you also totally ignore the legacy admissions, when the children of affluenet alumnae are admitting into the school because their parents donated a lot of money to the school.
I'm not gonna waste my phone battery on you in order to give you links. Just peruse the toplawschool.com forums for a little while if you're really interested. A plethora of really smart people discuss it openly. People who get in as URMs discuss it openly and post their stats. These stats are compared to others, with graphs and everything. These URMs don't try and act as if this concept does not exist. They know it well and take full advantage.

Lol I ignored the legacy admissions? Buddy, I acknowledged it in my very next post after you brought it up. Yes, that also occurs. We can talk about that as well. I agree, it's BS. Nepotism is never a good thing. That's a different topic though. You'd find, as you can see, that we agree on that if there were a discussion on the matter.

Now what I see is that you're still ignoring my question. Does affirmative action not exist in your eyes in any capacity? Did I invent this term last night sitting at my computer?

Old 09-08-2013, 08:17 AM

937 posts, read 1,137,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
I'm not gonna waste my phone battery on you in order to give you links. Just peruse the toplawschool.com forums for a little while if you're really interested. A plethora of really smart people discuss it openly. People who get in as URMs discuss it openly and post their stats. These stats are compared to others, with graphs and everything. These URMs don't try and act as if this concept does not exist. They know it well and take full advantage.

Lol I ignored the legacy admissions? Buddy, I acknowledged it in my very next post after you brought it up. Yes, that also occurs. We can talk about that as well. I agree, it's BS. Nepotism is never a good thing. That's a different topic though. You'd find, as you can see, that we agree on that if there were a discussion on the matter.

Now what I see is that you're still ignoring my question. Does affirmative action not exist in your eyes in any capacity? Did I invent this term last night sitting at my computer?
Affirmative action doesn't do much. If it did, you wouldn't have such sky high levels of unemployment (even amongst black college educated professionals). In this society and throughout much of the world, having white skin (irrespective of ethnic background) is an ace, because you will be treated as an individual and usually given the benefit of the doubt, in most situations.

A black person (irrespective of class) has to repeatedly prove their competence. This was in effect long before affirmative action (AA) policies were put into place. In reality, AA has done more for white women than any other "minority" group, but no one ever wants to address this.

Old 09-08-2013, 08:27 AM

11,201 posts, read 9,121,716 times
this thread should be closed as it has gone way off topic......

Old 09-08-2013, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl332 View Post
Affirmative action doesn't do much. If it did, you wouldn't have such sky high levels of unemployment (even amongst black college educated professionals). In this society and throughout much of the world, having white skin (irrespective of ethnic background) is an ace, because you will be treated as an individual and usually given the benefit of the doubt, in most situations.

A black person (irrespective of class) has to repeatedly prove their competence. This was in effect long before affirmative action (AA) policies were put into place. In reality, AA has done more for white women than any other "minority" group, but no one ever wants to address this.
I hear that a lot about white women. It may be true about women, but in reality it's black women who benefit the most.

And I will say that AA in the workforce is almost a different discussion than it in admissions for higher education. Being that getting a job is pretty much only based on an interview, they're kind of tough to compare.

We may not agree, but I'm glad that you at the very least acklowledge that this concept exists though...

Old 09-08-2013, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
this thread should be closed as it has gone way off topic......
It will be soon...

Old 09-08-2013, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
I hear that a lot about white women. It may be true about women, but in reality it's black women who benefit the most.

And I will say that AA in the workforce is almost a different discussion than it in admissions for higher education. Being that getting a job is pretty much only based on an interview, they're kind of tough to compare.

We may not agree, but I'm glad that you at the very least acklowledge that this concept exists though...
Care to share with us exactly how Black women benefit the most? What jobs are they allegedly getting due to affirmative action?

And care to share with us how you were able to divine these Black women specifically got their jobs due to affirmative action?

Also, what's the job performance of these Black women? Presumably they must be good, because no employer is a charitable organization. If you can't perform you are so fired.

Old 09-08-2013, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Care to share with us exactly how Black women benefit the most? What jobs are they allegedly getting due to affirmative action?

And care to share with us how you were able to divine these Black women specifically got their jobs due to affirmative action?

Also, what's the job performance of these Black women? Presumably they must be good, because no employer is a charitable organization. If you can't perform you are so fired.
Lol I'm not answering your multiple questions anymore until you answer one of mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City