Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 08:30 AM

937 posts, read 1,134,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
I was reading this article:

New Yorkers struggle in this economy, even if they*are working* - NY Daily News

I wondered about WHY so many New Yorkers are below or near the poverty line. In a place with such unlimited opportunity. I understand there are better benefits here for the poor than in many places so perhaps that is part of it. But it still doesn't make sense because who would intentionally WANT to be poor? The salon I work at is always busy, my seasonal bartending job is always busy. I did not need a ton of education or skills to acquire those jobs. I made terrible money until I built a clientel but restricted the hours and worked a side job 32 hours a week that was more lucrative. I simply work hard everyday and make a decent living. I know this probably sounds really naive but I came from a very ordinary background. No special extras handed to me other than a little help with college books and tuition. I had lean times and good times. But as long as I clocked the hours I never touched the levels of poverty the people in this article are at. It doesn't make sense to me. Also, I don't have dependents. Why are these people having kids if they can't afford them, only to complain and demand help? Wouldn't it seem logical not to have them until you are adequately financially prepared, or move to a place with lower COL? It almost seems like people enjoy it.
There is no such thing as income inequality in NYC. Bloomberg's corporate pals continue to feed and support the poor, so there is absolutely nothing to worry about.

Old 09-18-2013, 09:16 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,241,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
A lot of New Yorkers are very poor because too many of them are so VERY, VERY, VERY RICH.
There's only one pie and too many taking immense pieces leaving only crumbs behind.
Actually, the US economy is not quite a zero-sum game. It is heavily consumer driven. We need money to circulate faster through the economy, for all (or at least more) to prosper. When people spend, there are more jobs. When people hoard, the economy slows.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
According to Bloombucks we don't have real poor people. Our poor people are rich by many other country's standards.
Well, that is a fact. Ask immigrants around you in NYC, how things are where they came from.

Last edited by bigjake54; 09-18-2013 at 09:27 PM..

Old 09-18-2013, 09:52 PM

268 posts, read 480,925 times
I would really like to see what this EastBound girl looks like.

....she's either cute as hell or butch ugly - no in between.

Old 09-18-2013, 10:34 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,568,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeRrYcRaCk View Post
from Michigan to harlem to Michigan to Chicago to greenpoint to the Bronx all withing like a year either this is a troll or straight up gypsy. either way all the ridiculous post this character makes entertains me.
Jerry- I did live in all of those places, within the span of 4 years. Not that hard to fathom. Learn basic math/reading/research skills before impulsively posting and judging a person's life. Why don't you tell them all about the time your girlfriend hacked your computer? She found messages about me, how you wanted to hook up with me. It was funny. She was like, 'Who are you, EBDC? Stay away from my man!". Like I'd ever go out on a date with a guy who uses 'crack' as part of his username. A real prize for mom and dad. Are you still with that fool?

Old 09-18-2013, 10:50 PM

268 posts, read 480,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
Why don't you tell them all about the time your girlfriend hacked your computer? She found messages about me, how you wanted to hook up with me. It was funny. She was like, 'Who are you, EBDC? Stay away from my man!". Like I'd ever go out on a date with a guy who uses 'crack' as part of his username. A real prize for mom and dad. Are you still with that fool?

Old 09-19-2013, 02:29 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,313,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebrator View Post
Germany is one of the most industrious countries in the world despite their three months of vacation time per year.

I always wondered why New Yorkers feel the rest of the world is lazy or unsuccessful.

How is it hard to manage a business there?
I said it in my post. Workers council. Much more difficult to lay someone off. You have to keep someone on payroll until they find another job or settle with them. The settlements can be substantial. Also, you can't just give someone more work other than what they were originally hired for without approval from workers council. Much of Europe is like this. We can learn some things from them.

Old 09-19-2013, 06:17 AM

8,691 posts, read 11,078,805 times
I will be bold & say it

-lots of lazy people
-lots of people accepting mediocrity
-lots of NYer on low income housing
-lots of NYer on rent stabilize/rent control apartments
-lots of NYers on Medicaid, welfare, food stamps.

^^these all have a cumulative effect. So its not one but a handful

I personally know people who don't give a crap. They don't want to earn too much to jeopardize their status to accept these govt handouts. I was shock to see it with my own eyes to see people have food stamps or on Medicaid who drives a brank spanking new $75,000 Benz....

Old 09-19-2013, 06:44 AM

8,691 posts, read 11,078,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
She also is a genius, no? I remember seeing that she had a super high IQ. So why isn't she working for NASA or something.
all the geniuses post on CD

Old 09-19-2013, 08:20 AM

706 posts, read 1,042,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
all the geniuses post on CD
her iq is like 157 but she works in an upscale hair salon.. she is like a sex and the city rainman (rainwoman).

Old 09-19-2013, 08:24 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,403,086 times
lots of people were born and raised in poverty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City