Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 09:32 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,569,297 times

Advertisements

I think I am at a turning point in my life. The clients I am surrounded by every day at work carry $2,000 handbags and rock David Yurman bling, drool-inducing Louboutins of the most luxurious designs any red-blooded diva (or junior high school student even) would kill for. When I was younger I thought that was something to be very proud of (naively, of course). Now, I am at a point where I am thinking long-term. Hitting 30 is what really made me step back and question it all. For those of you older than me, if you had to take it all back and live a more modest life would you have done so? By that, I mean if you were in a position to scale back. And where would you have invested, if so? A quote that really made me think that much more... by the great Warren Buffett... "Wall Street is the only place where guys in Rolls-Royces show up to get advice from the guy who takes the subway to work". It seems like the REALLY smart people don't buy into this crap. Am I dumb for lusting after a $420 pair of Tom Ford sunglasses? I feel very guilty sometimes for liking nice things. I have this conversation with myself constantly when I probably should just be enjoying life.

Last edited by EastBoundandDownChick; 09-17-2013 at 09:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2013, 10:02 PM

34,104 posts, read 47,316,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
I think I am at a turning point in my life. The clients I am surrounded by every day at work carry $2,000 handbags and rock David Yurman bling, drool-inducing Louboutins of the most luxurious designs any red-blooded diva (or junior high school student even) would kill for. When I was younger I thought that was something to be very proud of (naively, of course). Now, I am at a point where I am thinking long-term. Hitting 30 is what really made me step back and question it all. For those of you older than me, if you had to take it all back and live a more modest life would you have done so? By that, I mean if you were in a position to scale back. And where would you have invested, if so? A quote that really made me think that much more... by the great Warren Buffett... "Wall Street is the only place where guys in Rolls-Royces show up to get advice from the guy who takes the subway to work". It seems like the REALLY smart people don't buy into this crap. Am I dumb for lusting after a $420 pair of Tom Ford sunglasses? I feel very guilty sometimes for liking nice things. I have this conversation with myself constantly when I probably should just be enjoying life.
You have to enjoy life. I got Louies, Pradas and Gucci shoes in the crib and I'm middle class. It's no big deal to want to access some of the finer things in life. Why go to work then????

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-18-2013, 12:00 AM

1,496 posts, read 2,238,962 times
There's nothing wrong with wanting the expensive stuff, as long as you understand exactly why you want it: status.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:26 AM

364 posts, read 708,616 times
I believe that as long as you don't spend more than you make, you have the rights to buy as your heart desires. I don't spend a lot on dress shirts and pants (I shop at Express with coupons and when it's on sale), but I own 2 Burberry trench coats.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:40 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,868,687 times
Eastbound - As long as you work in a salon you have to accept that you will never on your own be able to afford the same lifestyle as your rich clients. I don't see that as a bad thing.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:49 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,381,509 times
I live way, way, WAY below my means and still live quite comfortably. And it is ok to treat yourself too...having a $1,000 purse is ok..it's when you have the $1,000 purse, 10 pairs of $400 jeans, $3,000 a month 1 bedroom apt, dinner every night for $150, $700 BMW 5 series car payment, with no savings in the bank, no retirement or emergency funds, and racking up credit card debt to support it all is where you will inevitably fail, miserably.

I can see hitting 30 as a milestone and wake up call for some (but not all). You don't want to live in a closet anymore, you don't want 2 roommates anymore, you want to start establishing yourself, buy a place, etc....new priorities...it's normal.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:49 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,240,868 times
There were times when we lived within or below our means. Years ago, my husband and I didn't make the salaries we do now. We worked hard, paid our bills and saved to buy a house. I've made sacrifices and have "gone without" so I could do more for my daughter. I used to feel guilty if I wanted to treat myself to something. I no longer have that guilt. I work hard and I deserve to treat myself to fine things from time to time. The key is knowing when to treat yourself and when you're just frivously spending money to be flashy. People who have big bucks, whether they earned it or inherited it, may not have that mind-set. For many it's "I have the money so I'll spend it" and for many it's all about "status".

Old 09-18-2013, 07:54 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,218,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post

You're a bad, naughty girl. And you deserve to be punished...

Old 09-18-2013, 08:02 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,381,509 times
Strange I always pictured you to be much heavier.

Old 09-18-2013, 08:05 AM

11 posts, read 13,144 times
YOLO...but figure out what is really imporatant to you. I try not to spend my money on expensive bags, instead I will take a nice vacation at least once a year, otherwise why work. Don't be envious of other people's bag, you don't know what that person did to get that bag...secretary doing extra work under the desk...I'm just saying..lol...you never know. You know what you do for yours so if that is the way you want to treat yourself, then so be it. A bag does nothing for me but a memorable good time on vacation suits me just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City