Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 09:34 AM

3,244 posts, read 5,242,905 times

Advertisements

The new year begins with a bang:
9 shot, none killed in separate NY shootings - WSJ.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 10:09 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,052,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
University Heights has had 2 shootings and a stabbing already!

183rd and Grand ave, Police involved shooting.

Police involved shooting in the Bronx - New York News | NYC Breaking News

^ Heavy drug spot.

Quote:
An hour later, a 24-year-old man was popped in the buttocks after a fight broke out between a large group near Jerome Avenue and West Fordham Road in the Fordham Heights neighborhood of The Bronx, cops said.
Gun mayhem in early hours of 2013: 9 shot as year begins - NYPOST.com

There was also a stabbing on Jerome ave and 183rd street, which I can't find.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:34 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,380,404 times
You must be so proud! The city usually starts with a bang...NYE/holidays and the parties surrounding it are notorious for problems. Put a bunch of dumb broke people together, add alcohol and drugs, stir vigorously to the sounds of reggaeton, bachata, and reagga, and enjoy! Works every time!

I know when I was younger there was not an x-mas or NYE that went by without a major family fight of some sort, with cops making their appearance more times than not.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:37 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,810,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
You must be so proud! The city usually starts with a bang...NYE/holidays and the parties surrounding it are notorious for problems. Put a bunch of dumb broke people together, add alcohol and drugs, stir vigorously to the sounds of reggaeton, bachata, and reagga, and enjoy! Works every time!

I know when I was younger there was not an x-mas or NYE that went by without a major family fight of some sort, with cops making their appearance more times than not.
And then you wonder why the crime thread doesn't see as much activity as it did in previous years...

Old 01-03-2013, 11:00 PM

Bronx mother becomes city's first murder victim of the year as she takes a bullet to save her daughter - NY Daily News
Victim was a school crossing guard, shot by daughter's ex, visiting from Virginia. Did he bring the gun with him?

Last edited by bigjake54; 01-03-2013 at 11:15 PM..

Old 01-03-2013, 11:06 PM

Three cops shot in two incidents in the Bronx, Brooklyn* - NY Daily News
One perp dead, not to be counted as a murder!

Last edited by bigjake54; 01-03-2013 at 11:20 PM..

Old 01-04-2013, 07:09 AM

Well it isn't a murder...now is it? Neither is taking 50 pills and killing yourself...lunestra didn't murder you. There are different categories.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:01 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,253,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Well it isn't a murder...now is it? Neither is taking 50 pills and killing yourself...lunestra didn't murder you. There are different categories.
What kind of drug is LUNESTRA?

Old 01-04-2013, 09:12 AM

You are a big boy...google it.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:16 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,810,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
Seeing as how this occured once again, I could respond to you on this thread as opposed to the 2012 crime thread... You remember how you asked me if that was an acceptable answer to my question as to why there was only one murder listed when three murders occured within the same precinct?

My answer to that question is that I expected no less of compstat and the task force... Who in the hell gets to decide justifiable homicide... How is one life more valuable than another if both are murdered the same way... So you're telling me if a cop was to be shot and killed his murder would tally but if the cop and the perp were in a firefight and both are shot and killed, only one counts? How does that make any sense in your mind?

To give you examples, what about a mother killing an abusive husband who decided that enough is enough and she won't take it anymore... Is that a justifiable homicide? What about a mother protecting her children from a husband or partner who is a child abuser? Is that a justifiable homicide? Murders like these happen everyday and yet they get counted as homicides nonetheless...

My point is, what I have noticed about this city in terms of murder statistics that I have not seen anywhere else, is that this city has such a limited view of what constitutes murder in this city, that murderers can practically get away with anything as long as they are in the proper circumstances or know how to cheat the system a little bit...

For example from what I believe you and one other cop on this cite have told me these are situations that have happened this year that weren't considered homicides...

Cops involved in a firefight killing the perpetrators... (Justifiable Homicide)
Reckless driving killing a pedestrian (Deemed accidental manslaughter)
Arson leading to a murder (Deemed accidental manslaughter)
Questionable bodies floating in the hudson (Deemed automatic suicide)

When you continue to go down the list of what actually constitutes a murder in this city... It really is no wonder why the murder rate is so small...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City