Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 01:03 PM

31 posts, read 55,081 times

Advertisements

The best choice we have right now is De Blasio, so he's who I'm going for. However, the scale of the problems we face are so massive that no mayor can reach out to all of us in the way that we need. It may very well take decades to undo a lot of the damage done by the Giuliani and Bloomberg administrations, although I will give Giuliani credit where it's due for making the ferry free in 1997.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2013, 06:00 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,139,995 times
I refuse to vote for Lhota. Unfortunately, I'm not crazy about DeBlasio, or any of the other candidates that were running before the primary elections (Liu, Quinn, etc), but anybody is better than him as far as I'm concerned.

Let's start with that whole incident at the MTA Board meeting, when he told a 77 year-old Holocaust survivor to "be a man". It speaks volumes of his character that he would do such a thing. (Apparently he was mad at him for parking in front of the MTA building, so instead of letting it go, he randomly brought it up even though it had nothing to do with the topic at hand).

But even if the comment was somehow directly related to the topic, it goes to show you what type of person he is. Imagine, a citizen going up to him to file a complaint about something, and he'll tell them to be a man.

And think about it this way: He cut his term early as MTA CEO. The MTA CEO is supposed to stay for something like six years, and he left after around a year and a half IIRC (I don't know what the exact time period is, but he did leave early). Fortunately, his replacement is capable (he was promoted from within), but it shows that he was just looking for a way to pad his resume, and wasn't genuinely interested in improving the MTA.

Now, as an MTA head, he wasn't particularly good, and I'll tell you why. Sure, he got the system up and running quickly after Sandy, which is a good thing, but what I don't like is that the MTA took some new money from some transit bill passed in Albany, and wasted it. He used it to restore service on some routes that were cut in 2010, and expand service in a few select areas.

Now you may be wondering: How is restoring/expanding service bad? Because it wasn't done efficiently. If somebody gives you an infusion of money, you don't go, blow it, and then say you have no more money. You look to see how it can be used efficiently.

There are routes that should've been a top priority to restore, that weren't. For instance, the B71 in Brooklyn saw a 29% growth in ridership in the years before it was cut, and yet it wasn't restored. Instead, they restored weekend service on the B2, which runs parallel to the B100 (a block away). There's a whole list of examples I have, but I don't feel like listing them.

Then they made new routes to serve growing areas like Hunts Point, Spring Creek, and Williamsburg. Except the problem is that those new routes are basically designed to fail and get very few riders. For instance, the Bx46 runs from Hunts Point to the Prospect Avenue subway station, serving the industrial parts of Hunts Point that aren't served by the Bx6. But it's a short little shuttle to nowhere. If it were extended to say, Yankee Stadium, it could serve people who currently take the Bx6 to get from Melrose/Morrisania to Hunts Point, as well as serve Banana Kelly HS students who live in Melrose/Morrisania.

Then there's the B84 from New Lots/Livonia to the Gateway Mall. Again, another little shuttle running every 30 minutes. There's a ton of problems with the route network in the East NY area, and this hardly solves any of them. Not to mention it explicitly avoids the new housing along Vandalia Avenue.

Then there's the B67 extension into the Navy Yard. They're taking a route that's already unreliable, and extending it further, making it more unreliable. Instead of doing that, they should've taken a route that passes through that general area (like the B57/B62), and rerouted that through the Navy Yard, saving money and avoiding making another route more unreliable.

So I figure that since they have money for these extensions/new routes, they have money to fill in some service gaps in my own neighborhood, as well as other Staten Island neighborhoods. (The proposal is over here. Feel free to sign the petition if you wish to do so). I go over to the MTA Board and ask them to look into this proposal, which would greatly improve the network out here at a minimal cost (I have the stats to prove it), and then suddenly, they have no money. I say "But you have money for the Bx46, and suddenly, you ran out of money?", and they didn't know what to say.

So I had a meeting with them, and they couldn't refute my proposal, except on the basis that it would cost money (it would cost a fraction of what the Bx46 cost them, and would benefit many more people. If you don't want to spend money, why bother having a transit system?) They kept trying to ignore me, but since I was persistant, eventually, they gave me some BS response using stats as to why it wouldn't work (and they still didn't respond to my refutation). And get this: After they said they ran out of money, apparently another $18 million fell out of the sky.

So if he's going to allow his agency to waste money that way, it's one more reason not to vote for him.

Old 09-21-2013, 06:59 PM

18,484 posts, read 31,688,256 times
just the though of Lhota with any MTA or any transit thing was enough to turn me completely off. Our transit system has been in a deficit for decades, and we have had nothing but fare increases, who in their right mind would vote for Lhota, coming from his background.

that alone makes me check the box no.

De Blasio is by far the best.

I am also glad Quinn didn't make it. I cannot stand her.

Old 09-21-2013, 10:03 PM

518 posts, read 826,787 times
[quote=availableusername;31493435]Because he's taller?[/quote

He's tall too?

Old 09-21-2013, 10:34 PM

518 posts, read 826,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Bloomberg is neither thrilled about any candidate. Remember Lhota called Bloomberg an idiot. Bloomberg succesor was supposed to be Christine Quinn who was pro status quo.
All true but Bloomberg has always been a political chameleon who never publicly endorsed any of the candidates yet when de Blasio pulled way ahead in the polls Bloomy practically called him a racist for using his black kids in campaign ads. That's nasty stuff and it must haunt Bloomberg to know that the probable next mayor will not will not have an open door policy for him at City Hall. Lhota, who did call Bloomberg an idiot, would probably shine Bloomberg's shoes on the steps of City Hall now because he is a political *****.

It's a hopeless cause but Bloomberg money has probably found it's way to Lhota by now and Bloomberg will find creative ways to publicly let us know who he favors. It's killing him. His master plan has come undone.

Old 09-22-2013, 09:20 AM

11,201 posts, read 9,105,548 times
Bill de Blasio's name has been changed twice citing personal reasons - NY Daily News

dude changed his name twice.

Old 09-22-2013, 09:27 AM

937 posts, read 1,136,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oodaloop View Post
Prosperity for you considering you probably had a job while we had the biggest recession in U.S. history. NYC had the lowest unemployment rate of any major city throughout the recession. That has a large part do to Bloombergs leadership. I know the people in this forum love to about all the "terrible" things he did.
Well, I can't say that everyone has equally enjoyed that prosperity.

Old 09-22-2013, 09:34 AM

937 posts, read 1,136,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
The real question is, why is this significant?

If you read the piece, not once does the "article" (and I use that term loosely) cite any criminal records associated with his previous name. Anyone can run a $ 10 or $ 20 dollar criminal search check, so I'm certain that the Daily News did, in the hopes of uncovering something unscrupulous. But obviously they didn't find anything, otherwise, it would have been mentioned in the article.

Who cares if someone doesn't like their name and decides to change it, as long as they are not hiding from past criminal activity.

Critical thinking is essential.

Old 09-22-2013, 09:38 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,223,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxi guy View Post
he's tall too?

wat

Old 09-22-2013, 10:05 AM

11,201 posts, read 9,105,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl332 View Post
The real question is, why is this significant?

If you read the piece, not once does the "article" (and I use that term loosely) cite any criminal records associated with his previous name. Anyone can run a $ 10 or $ 20 dollar criminal search check, so I'm certain that the Daily News did, in the hopes of uncovering something unscrupulous. But obviously they didn't find anything, otherwise, it would have been mentioned in the article.

Who cares if someone doesn't like their name and decides to change it, as long as they are not hiding from past criminal activity.

Critical thinking is essential.
did you even know he changed his name twice??

what would people relate to more. de blasio or wilheim jr?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City