Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 12:32 PM

25,556 posts, read 24,052,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
The Senate is going to change some of it, but like you, I can't wait either, but for reasons that differ from YOURS.

Cut off foodstamp benefits and watch the red states (who are the poorest) go ape ****! LOL!
Having lived in the rural areas of red states, they won't go ape. A lot of people hunt or do other things to get food, including growing at least part of their food.

They do not have vast concentrations of people who are totally dependent on the government, like NYC does.

I also would say people in rural areas tend to have family and community support that people are far less likely to have in NYC. On a much broader scale. Its a very different mentality. Oh, and the red states never spent what NYC spent on welfare to begin with.

Also, the red states have far fewer renters than NYC (actually, NYS has far fewer renters than NYC). Part of NYC's problem is that its a renters town, and over a long period of time most people cannot afford rents here. It was like this long before Bloomberg (though it got worse under him).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2013, 12:32 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,429,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
Yes, thank God. Now maybe people on welfare will actually take the initiative to get up off their asses and be a productive members of society as oppose to sitting back and collecting FREE money for being lazy and an underachiever.
Have much experience at being poor? ever lived in a place with no jobs?and have no way to get to one even if there was a minimum wage job going 10 miles down the road. I'd suggest most people on assistance would like to have a job but for many its not as easy as just saying gee i think i'm tired of living in this run down tenement in this poor part of town relying on a couple of hundred bucks a month in food stamps yeah i think i'll go get a nice high paying job and move into a fine house in hilltopjay's neighborhood.
Your callous response IMO shows a total lack of understanding as to why a significant demographic of the country is poor.

Last edited by jambo101; 09-21-2013 at 01:53 PM..

Old 09-21-2013, 12:52 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,048,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
That's not entirely true. There are many people in this city on SSI because they have "mental illness", HIV, or some other condition they exaggerated. These people are not required to work. Many of their "mental illness" and Aids related problems are really due to addiction. And yes, these people sit around on their asses.
This isn't WELFARE. I don't know about you, but I don't want to work around a bunch of crazies and just because an HIV person "appears" healthy to YOU doesn't mean they are. SSI and Disability are not the same as WELFARE.

Quote:
I personally have known people who work in the welfare industry who are both friends and relatives. And I have personally know individuals who did the Aids welfare fraud scam or mental illness welfare fraud scam (to be fair ,there are people genuinely too mentally ill to work, and there are those who have faked it).
NO ONE can "fake" having HIV/AIDS. Stop it.

Quote:
Originally, as I noted, welfare was for people who lost their jobs and who needed temporarily help while looking for a new job. It was hijacked by poverty pimps. The free lunch is OVER!!
So does this mean you are HAPPY about the foodstamp cuts? Yes OR No??

Every time I ask you this, you write an essay about stuff I didn't ask you. I have no idea where you stand. I just need to know if you are in FAVOR of the foodstamp cuts.

Yay or Nay?

Old 09-21-2013, 12:52 PM

19,092 posts, read 14,056,720 times
Quote:
The Senate is going to change some of it, but like you, I can't wait either, but for reasons that differ from YOURS.

Cut off foodstamp benefits and watch the red states (who are the poorest) go ape ****! LOL!
I couldn't care less what happens in the red states or what they say. I live here and want to see the generational poor given a boot in the ass. EVERYTHING they haven't earned and paid taxes on needs to be taken away from them. Any poor people in the red states need their entitlements taken away also.

Old 09-21-2013, 12:58 PM

Quote:
This isn't WELFARE. I don't know about you, but I don't want to work around a bunch of crazies and just because an HIV person "appears" healthy to YOU doesn't mean they are. SSI and Disability are not the same as WELFARE.

NO ONE can "fake" having HIV/AIDS. Stop it.
Everyone can be crazy to some degree or another. And as for HIV, people can certainly get doctors to support them in claiming that they are sicker than they are, in order to cheat the system and get the welfare benefits.

Well, the free lunch is over, so as I said, it does not really matter whether I'm in favor of it. You can argue here until you're blue, but its up to people in these programs to find their own solutions as the Congress cuts funding to them.

The rest of the nation could care less about funding NYC's welfare complex. People finally are getting a reality check.

Old 09-21-2013, 12:59 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,048,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I couldn't care less what happens in the red states or what they say. I live here and want to see the generational poor given a boot in the ass. EVERYTHING they haven't earned and paid taxes on needs to be taken away from them. Any poor people in the red states need their entitlements taken away also.

But they ARE "earning" it. Everyone collecting welfare and foodstamps in New York City is FORCED to work for their benefits. They are made to work 21 hours a week making below minimum wage for city agencies as janitors and maids. The ones who with more office experience are forced to work for city agencies shuffling paper and answering phones. The remaining 14 hours (2 days) is spent doing "job search" activities which never materialize for 70% of them no matter how many interviews they go on.

Why do you and some others on here continue to perpetuate the lie that they don't work for their benefits?

This hasn't been true in close to 20 years when welfare reform took over in this city.

Old 09-21-2013, 12:59 PM

900 posts, read 2,376,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
This might have a negative side effect though, like people getting robbed for their groceries when they go home etc.

This is exactly what's going to happen. When poor desperate ill moral people don't have they simply look for someone who does.

All these robberies being reported on the local news the last few years I believe was a increase and response to the cut backs already set, it's only going to get worse.

So you conservatives and middle class who are cheering this on watch out.

Old 09-21-2013, 01:01 PM

900 posts, read 2,376,411 times
Quote:
But they ARE "earning" it. Everyone collecting welfare and foodstamps in New York City is FORCED to work for their benefits. They are made to work 21 hours a week making below minimum wage for city agencies as janitors and maids. The ones who with more office experience are forced to work for city agencies shuffling paper and answering phones.

Why do you and some others on here continue to perpetuate the lie that they don't work for their benefits?

This hasn't been true in close to 20 years when welfare reform took over in this city.
They are supposed to but I was told by someone that these lazy ones simply give up the food stamps and just rely on illegal means to make up the difference because they don't want to work.

Old 09-21-2013, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
What's happening is called a reality check. Those who ignore it do so at their own peril. They'd better do what they can to work, or will risk having to go in the garbage for food.

And isn't it strange the restaurant sector here can hire immigrants and out of towners, while welfare recipients don't even bother to go out for these jobs? Same for the hotel sector, certain types of construction jobs,etc.

Now just in case Marilyn claims discrimination is why they don't get these jobs, if that's the case the beloved poor need to become politically active and fight against any unreasonable barriers (where its structural issues in the economy, racism, or whatever) to unemployment.

Welfare has made them so lazy in some cases they don't even vote. This is a good thing, as it forces them to get up off their asses and be responsible for their own survival.

Old 09-21-2013, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvnyc View Post
This is exactly what's going to happen. When poor desperate ill moral people don't have they simply look for someone who does.

All these robberies being reported on the local news the last few years I believe was a increase and response to the cut backs already set, it's only going to get worse.

So you conservatives and middle class who are cheering this on watch out.
Then what would happen is people with money would simply flee the city again. What ultimately would happen when its just a bunch of poor people left? It would be pretty ugly for those poor people, as there'd be no money and no jobs (businesses flee high crime areas too) and ultimately no food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City