Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2013, 11:46 AM

19,058 posts, read 13,981,222 times

Advertisements

You don't have to agree with me. You're wrong either way by roughly 13,000 if not more.

Old 10-06-2013, 11:50 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,367,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
NYPD received 200 calls and they were STILL NOWHERE TO BE SEEN.

People keep saying the cops were "occupied" with other bikers. I don't believe that. What about helicopter patrol? Where were they? Every other city has one for times like this. Where was NYPD's?

I'm not letting NYPD slide on this. From the time the SUV driver sped off, it seemed to be a good while before the other bikers caught up with him WITH NO NYPD IN SIGHT. How long did it take before the cops arrived AFTER the beating? Who got their first? EMT or NYPD?

Again, when you have 45,000 cops for one city, you essentially have a mini-army on your hands.

NYPD not being on the scene either on ground or air is INEXCUSABLE.

Raymond Kelly has to answer for this. He sends cops to other countries telling them how to run THEIR police forces for certain situations, but yet can't even handle crime on his own highways.

I agree with another poster up top who said that NYPD should go to cities where the cops know how to handle biker crowds like this and MAN THEIR HIGHWAYS PROPERLY.
You misunderstood my question and the point of my post. My post was analyzing one of the bikers arguments that they were trying to stop Lien after the hit and run. If that was the case, then the first course of action should have been to notify the police. Did the bikers do that? And even then, if they truly wanted to "prevent" him, was it justified to beat him down, and break the windows of his car.

You wont let NYPD slide on this, and I wont let the paralyzed guy slide on this either. Even before you get behind a vehicle, it is the individual responsibility that they have the proper certification by law that they can operate that vehicle legally. If the paralyzed guy did not have the license to do so, then that tells me he does not have the proper capacity to operate a vehicle legally, and therefore unfairly places himself and others at risk.

Old 10-06-2013, 11:51 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,092,718 times
NYPD - Frequently Asked Questions

The NYPD's current uniformed strength is approximately 34,500. *note this does not include detective, swat, auxiliary, etc.

Old 10-06-2013, 11:52 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,032,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
You don't have to agree with me. You're wrong either way by roughly 13,000 if not more.
Okay, 32,000 cops.

Still the largest police force in the country for a small radius compared to other places who could definitely use the manpower.

Old 10-06-2013, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post

The NYPD's current uniformed strength is approximately 34,500. *note this does not include detective, swat, auxiliary, etc.
Thanks Ryu.

Old 10-06-2013, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gichicago View Post
You misunderstood my question and the point of my post. My post was analyzing one of the bikers arguments that they were trying to stop Lien after the hit and run. If that was the case, then the first course of action should have been to notify the police. Did the bikers do that? And even then, if they truly wanted to "prevent" him, was it justified to beat him down, and break the windows of his car.

You wont let NYPD slide on this, and I wont let the paralyzed guy slide on this either.
What makes you think I care about the paralyzed person like that?

There's a good chance that dude would not be paralyzed had NYPD been monitoring the situation when they closed the ramps. Why weren't cops following these guys?

After knucklehead went and got himself hit by the SUV the FIRST TIME, cops should have been there wanting to know what happend and why a CROWD had gathered.

Had the cops been there, then SUV person wouldn't have felt threatened and drove over the paralyzed comatosed biker in an effort to get away. It took an extra several minutes until they caught up to him and still no officers.

No one gets a pass in this situation. SUV driver will get paid for his troubles and the paralyzed dude, if he comes out of the coma will pray for death from being forced to live a "living death" type of existence.

Old 10-06-2013, 12:13 PM

37,120 posts, read 41,299,979 times
Quote:

There's a good chance that dude would not be paralyzed had NYPD been monitoring the situation when they closed the ramps. Why weren't cops following these guys?

After knucklehead went and got himself hit by the SUV the FIRST TIME, cops should have been there wanting to know what happend and why a CROWD had gathered.

Had the cops been there, then SUV person wouldn't have felt threatened and drove over the paralyzed comatosed biker in an effort to get away. It took an extra several minutes until they caught up to him and still no officers.

No one gets a pass in this situation. SUV driver will get paid for his troubles and the paralyzed dude, if he comes out of the coma will pray for death from being forced to live a "living death" type of existence.

The NYPD was addressing the ramp problem. Should they run over the bikers on the ramps to get on the freeway? The bikers wanted to keep the cops off the freeway so their friends could play.

What we do not know is how long it took to get police and NYPD to Mieses, which would be interesting. The ramp blockade had the unintended consequence of hindering EMS response, too, I suspect

Old 10-06-2013, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The NYPD was addressing the ramp problem. Should they run over the bikers on the ramps to get on the freeway? The bikers wanted to keep the cops off the freeway so their friends could play.
NYPD has motorcyle cops. I see them all the time. If they have these cops to work the streets, then I'm sure they're available for the highways.

Again, no excuse.

Quote:
What we do not know is how long it took to get police and NYPD to Mieses, which would be interesting.
I'm dying to know this as well.

Quote:
The ramp blockade had the unintended consequence of hindering EMS response, too, I suspect
Emergency responders should never be denied access. So, are you saying there were no cops at the exit/entrance points either?!!

If this is true, they basically let whatever drivers that were trapped with these fools alone to fend for themselves. Yeah, I see a huge settlement for SUV driver.

Old 10-06-2013, 12:35 PM

19,058 posts, read 13,981,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post

Why did you add that note? It's not in the link. The NYPD's official head count is around 34,000 uniformed officers of all ranks, no matter how long you guys go around in circles trying to justify any other number. That's the allocated number but it's usually less depending on academy classes and retirements.

Let's just say that I know what I'm talking about on this one...

Old 10-06-2013, 01:12 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,367,260 times
Quote:

Um, my statement on the paralyzed guy had nothing do with you. I dont care what you think about him. By the way, there would be even a better chance if the dude would not have been run over, if he was not on his bike in the first place, because he was not licensed and had it revoked. If that is true, then this tells me he was not fit to be operating a motorcycle in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City