Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do West Indians assimilate into AA culture?
Yes, they become more like AAs 14 35.00%
No, they remain very distinct 26 65.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 01:43 PM

23 posts, read 40,293 times

Advertisements

West Indians normally live among their kind, as do Africans and African Americans. You'll get the occasional cross overs into other communities, such as myself. My family is from Antigua and Barbuda and settled in Bedstuy back in the 80's. I lived around a lot of African Americans, with the trickle of Caribbean families. I would say we blend well, but I've experienced some bias for being from the west indies growing up in Bedstuy. Only name calling i dealt with was being called "Curry Goat"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2020, 07:47 AM

30,613 posts, read 18,198,614 times
They remain pretty distinct. There is a reason why people of Caribbean descent tend to form Caribbean communities if their numbers support it. And they tend to elect other Caribbean-Americans as their representatives, not African Americans, if their numbers allow them to do so.

When my paternal great grandparents immigrated to the States from the British West Indies (Antigua) around 1920, they settled in Harlem originally. But as their numbers started to grow and fertile ground opened in parts of Brooklyn, etc., they moved to Crown Heights along with many others like them.

But this isn't to say that African Americans and Caribbean Americans don't get along.

Note, I don't call myself Caribbean American as it's not the culture that I was raised in. My mother's family is African American and my father's mother--while proud of her Caribbean roots--did not marry into the Caribbean community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City