Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2013, 11:01 PM

733 posts, read 1,164,781 times

Advertisements

Plenty money to be made

Old 11-16-2013, 11:02 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,970,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattstro87 View Post
my boy works at m4 also..id love to be there haha
We're supposed to get more guys so you never know lol but if anything transfer in, I came here by chance from class and I love it.

Old 11-17-2013, 05:31 AM

3,742 posts, read 6,394,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikfleye3 View Post
We're supposed to get more guys so you never know lol but if anything transfer in, I came here by chance from class and I love it.
This will be the advantage for you mattstro. First garage romance! Most guys will tell they love their garage when they first get to it like Mike here. Wherever you go you will probably say the same.

Why?

Cause it's the only experience in dsny you'll have. You won't really know "hey every other garage is better than here." Lol. I loved my garage when I got there out of FBF too. (Now if I'm ever forced to go back there, I may burn it down lol)

Old 11-17-2013, 05:52 AM

116 posts, read 240,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNY...DirtyStayOut View Post
Retro sounds great but in the end as everything stands now, we will screw ourselves bigtime. Give us our raises going forward and call it a day. To get that cash we will have to give up things, and honestly we have given enough. Our healthcare is not negotiable. As much as I would love that money, big picture it will only hurt us.

As a long time union member I can tell you that retro is Not something you should ever back down on. The reason is this : The only reason contracts are allowed to expire without a new contract in place is the guarantee that the city will be penalized for failing to negotiate in a timely manner. Retro pay is the citys "penalty" for not negotiating fairly. If you fold on retro, and there was no penalty to the city for leaving the unions w/o a contract for YEARS, why would they ever come to the table again at the end of any contract? They will just let you work a few years without one & then sit down when they feel like it. Fold on retro & you will never have a timely contract again, ever. There are ways to work out retro , it could be given yearly over the life of the contract, a certain amount a year, but never ever give up retro in favor of a higher raise. You will lose out. Thats a very dangerous precedent to set.

Old 11-17-2013, 06:01 AM

3,742 posts, read 6,394,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitinginBklyn View Post
As a long time union member I can tell you that retro is Not something you should ever back down on. The reason is this : The only reason contracts are allowed to expire without a new contract in place is the guarantee that the city will be penalized for failing to negotiate in a timely manner. Retro pay is the citys "penalty" for not negotiating fairly. If you fold on retro, and there was no penalty to the city for leaving the unions w/o a contract for YEARS, why would they ever come to the table again at the end of any contract? They will just let you work a few years without one & then sit down when they feel like it. Fold on retro & you will never have a timely contract again, ever. There are ways to work out retro , it could be given yearly over the life of the contract, a certain amount a year, but never ever give up retro in favor of a higher raise. You will lose out. Thats a very dangerous precedent to set.
Everyone understands why retro exists. The point in this upcoming contract many are making is our first priority is health care first.

Sadly though....they always make us work a few years with no contact regardless

Old 11-17-2013, 06:09 AM

1,356 posts, read 1,223,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitinginBklyn View Post
Understood, and I agree with you. But you never met Harry Nespoli. Lets see how it works out, but don't be surprised if he gives away the kitchen sink for that retro. That's the fear, leadership is the problem.

Old 11-17-2013, 06:47 AM

311 posts, read 458,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWOL AGAIN View Post
This will be the advantage for you mattstro. First garage romance! Most guys will tell they love their garage when they first get to it like Mike here. Wherever you go you will probably say the same.

Why?

Cause it's the only experience in dsny you'll have. You won't really know "hey every other garage is better than here." Lol. I loved my garage when I got there out of FBF too. (Now if I'm ever forced to go back there, I may burn it down lol)
that is true..im in SI..i know my luck...im bronx bound haha hoping for manhattan though.....on a good note....amtech didnt mess up my uniforms the 2nd time so im good with it haha

Old 11-17-2013, 06:53 AM

and honestly whatever garage im put in is fine...i cant stand complaining or wishing i had it better etc...im just grateful for this job..and it beats going on the road 5 or 6 days a week with tractor trailers lol it is what it is man...i just wana come in everyday do my work and go home..as time goes on more pieces will fall into place as senority grows..thanks everyone!!

p.s....driving those collection trucks are a piece of cake..dont get how a dude in our class got into a fender bender lol but then again i guess i understand...99% of the guys took the cdl at fbf..which means they only had a week basically of ever driving a truck..all you instructors at fbf is cool as heck....awol im still trying to find you at fbf...would like to at least personally thank you

Old 11-17-2013, 06:56 AM

where has torper been? im use to seeing this forum blasted with his questions haha

Old 11-17-2013, 07:02 AM

206 posts, read 300,703 times
Is this new mayor going to give problems with having classes next yeAr?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City