Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 06:30 PM

106,673 posts, read 108,856,202 times

Advertisements

the real profit is in what con edison does which is the transmission lines and substations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 08:29 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
typically incomes grows too . the last few decades though with two back to back recessions slowed wage growth though.
my income is ten times what it was 36 years ago.

i am sure most folks are earning many times there income 36 years ago.

and your point?
How nice for you that your income increased tenfold. Marie Antoinette earned a lot more as Queen of France than as Princess of Austria. But not everyone could be the Queen of France, or you for that matter.

My point? Prices are inflating at far more than 2-3% per year and inflation is defined as the increase in the prices of goods, not an increase in wages, a decrease in bond rates, an increase in Dow Jones average or the precession of the planet Mercury.

We are suffering a high inflation rate and the government is cooking the books to deny it/lie so they can keep piling money into the banks and stock market fight wars on a credit card, and avoiding taxing to pay for the foolishness. The effects of restoring sanity are year by year become potentially more and more disastrous. I'd rather not live through the 70's AGAIN.
<which coincidentally were caused by running ANOTHER war we could not afford.>

That is my point.

Old 11-17-2013, 08:39 AM

you are still wrong wrong wrong about your comments about the fed cooking the cpi numbers.

web sites love to talk about the myth of the recalculation of the cpi and most of the info is just that myth.

overall the cpi is quite accurate and if you read how the numbers are calculated you will see that5 they are not and most of the changes have made it more accurate.

there is no such things going on like if steak is to expensive let them eat hamburger.

i wish i had a dime for every time that one appears.

the fact is read a little about just how the numbers are calculated and you will find as a price change indicator it does a prettygood job.

it is NOT A COST OF LIVING CALCULTOR . that is going to be unique to you.

36 years ago the social security calculator on line shows 9,230 is indexed today to 69,000 as the equivelant pay.,

that is far far more than the doubling of prices in your example.

Old 11-17-2013, 08:46 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,238,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
typically incomes grows too . the last few decades though with two back to back recessions slowed wage growth though.
my income is ten times what it was 36 years ago.

i am sure most folks are earning many times there income 36 years ago.

and your point?
My income doesn't grow, in fact some of my jobs have gone down in pay what they were 10 years ago, yet con ed keeps increasing, rent keeps going up, food and other items cost more. Everyone assumes people get a yearly raise to cross balance the increases, that is Not always the case!

Old 11-17-2013, 08:51 AM

look at the time frame kefir is talking about ,36 years not ten years. he used the example of prices doubling at 2% inflation.

if someones income is only 2x what it was 36 years ago then in my book they are a financial failure.

like i said two back to back recessions have slowed wage growth or reduced it . but many big expenses were offset. americans are in debt up to their eyeballs.

cost of homes, mortgages ,refinancing ,auto loans college loans ,personal loans have dropped putting more and more money into most americans monthly budget.

energy costs are lower than 5 years ago. a new car is cheaper today than even a few years ago.

lots of things have gone down offsetting a lack of wage growth.

do not confuse your own personal cost of living with the country at large.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: