Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How well are the race relations in this part of Staten Island?
Great 1 5.26%
Fine 10 52.63%
Bad 8 42.11%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 11:19 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times

Advertisements

Yes cuz unless you actually did something or experienced something, it never happened. If it makes you feel better, I am sure you did but you are just too old to remember, or maybe it gets blurry with all the other sad testaments to your life. If all the things to wish for...why am I not surprised you wish for that?

Which brings me back to Staten Island and its residents....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 11:20 AM

3,921 posts, read 9,125,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Yes, there are changes in demographics even as you get near the SIE, such as around Tioga and the former College of SI campus (now the Petredies School). You see Asians, Indians, Hispanics, etc... something you just didn't have back in the day.
Definitely. That applies to basically every area down by the SIE (South Beach, Willowbrook, Bulls Head, etc) Even areas like Travis, New Springville and Midland Beach, which are further from the SIE have seen the same changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Bulls Head/Graniteville is a very nice area, but again you really have to like townhouse living, which isn't my style.
The problem ends up being that you end up with a lot of the crowding as more urban areas, without receiving the same level of services. For instance, I'm trying to get the MTA to add a new bus route in Bulls Head/Graniteville, and they're giving me a hard time. Without easy access to a bus route, they force people to drive, which isn't a good thing when you're dealing with that level of density.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Checkmatechamp...nothing I said about Staten Island was untrue. You know the race-based campaign Joe Lhota ran, his sheer idiocy, and his appeal to the "angry white voter" 90s style....and his campaign resonated nowhere else EXCEPT Staten Island. So that begs the question...Why? For the answer, look to Staten Island residents like Airborne.

Secondly, I practice what I preach..I have family who were born and raised in Staten Island, and I spent a fair amount of time there...and what my family went through on Staten Island was the kind of stuff people of color were going through in the 60s...being chased down the streets by angry kids with bats because they walked in the "wrong" neighborhood..except this was the 80s and 90s...WTF! The indignities their parents went through were not much better. That borough is the last vestige of the Archie Bunkers of NYC...
Ooooh, he received 53% of the vote out here. Yeah, we were overwhelmingly in favor of Lhota. Apparently the 44% of Staten Islanders who voted for DeBlasio didn't count. Even deep on the South Shore, DeBlasio still managed to get a good 30-40% of the vote.

There were other areas where this kind of stuff was going down, even in the 1980s. People talk about how that used to happen by the Coney Island subway station. For that matter, what about the incidents in Howard Beach & Bensonhurst? I guess because that stuff happened in the 1980s, that still goes down today. Never mind the fact that, for instance, Bensonhurst has greatly changed in demographics since the 1980s.

We're talking about a time period when the city was entirely different. Crime in general was a lot higher back then. I wasn't even born yet, so an entire generation has come into existence in the meantime. A lot can change in 20-30 years. Those teens who chased you down back in the 80s & 90s are 40-50 years old!

Old 12-29-2013, 11:25 AM

Checkmate...53% of the vote is a majority...and as such..the majority has spoken. That doesn't mean EVERYONE is like that...but unfortunately that majority is quite vocal and not just sitting home knitting. And yes, Bensonhurst, Howard Beach, etc were equally vile places BUT have changed for the better. Unfortunately what is happening to Staten Island is that it is becoming like Woodlawn in the Bronx, the last place where 'they' can pretend it's still 1950 (and get away with it for the most part).

Note: I have not been chased down by anyone...it was family. PS-They still live there and own a bar on Staten Island..and while some things change, some things stay the same..and Lhota winning in Staten Island when he lost so badly in the rest of the city is telling. Airborne's comments on these threads is quintessential Staten Island...the proof is in his pudding...and he is 40+ years old..so what does age matter?

Old 12-29-2013, 11:53 AM

19,031 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Quote:
Yes cuz unless you actually did something or experienced something, it never happened. If it makes you feel better, I am sure you did but you are just too old to remember, or maybe it gets blurry with all the other sad testaments to your life. If all the things to wish for...why am I not surprised you wish for that?

Which brings me back to Staten Island and its residents....
No, I'm not speaking of my anecdotes being the only reality. I'm saying that I wish I was the one chasing them with the bat. Clearer?

Old 12-29-2013, 11:58 AM

19,031 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Quote:
...and he is 40+ years old..so what does age matter?
Again, I wish!

When I'm 43, I'll be a very happy, non-NY resident living very far from here. Unfortunately for me (and my family), that age is still nearly a decade away.

Old 12-29-2013, 12:01 PM

588 posts, read 947,304 times
I'm the last one to defend SI but its far from some backwards town in the sticks, if anything its getting too built up. So what if De Blasio lost here.
ps. racism goes both ways

Old 12-29-2013, 12:25 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,125,537 times
Quote:
Checkmate...53% of the vote is a majority...and as such..the majority has spoken. That doesn't mean EVERYONE is like that...but unfortunately that majority is quite vocal and not just sitting home knitting. And yes, Bensonhurst, Howard Beach, etc were equally vile places BUT have changed for the better. Unfortunately what is happening to Staten Island is that it is becoming like Woodlawn in the Bronx, the last place where 'they' can pretend it's still 1950 (and get away with it for the most part).

Note: I have not been chased down by anyone...it was family. PS-They still live there and own a bar on Staten Island..and while some things change, some things stay the same..and Lhota winning in Staten Island when he lost so badly in the rest of the city is telling. Airborne's comments on these threads is quintessential Staten Island...the proof is in his pudding...and he is 40+ years old..so what does age matter?
I don't exactly see what makes Howard Beach so different from Woodlawn or the South Shore of Staten Island. (Your comments don't even apply to the whole borough. In the North Shore districts, 70-80% voted for DeBlasio. And don't start with this nonsense about "those areas are mostly Black & Hispanic" because that includes areas that are mostly White as well). Bensonhurst, of course is a different story.

And they're vocal how? Are they organizing KKK rallies? Are they still going around chasing people with baseball bats? (Not in the 1980s. Now in 2013.)

And who knows if they voted for Lhota because they were worried about crime? Maybe they didn't like DeBlasio's policy on taxes or something.

Old 12-29-2013, 12:29 PM

588 posts, read 947,304 times
this^

Old 12-29-2013, 02:03 PM

Checkmate I think we will agree to disagree. The same reason/delusions people think the only reason why Woodlawn is still 95% Irish is because "people of color don't want to live there"..the same excuses why the Fire Dept is still exactly as it was in 1960 because "people of color don't want those jobs", and why Breezy Point makes sure it remains exactly the way it is whether it is 2013 or 1950...on and on...I don't play those silly games..that's for the simple minded and/or delusional. You are welcome to believe Staten Island is just a wholesome quiet community....and it is..so long as you "belong" there....and that includes 2013..the same way Woodlawn in 2013 is.

These types of communities are dwindling thankfully, but Staten Island is the last hold out for Archie and crew. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but pretending I am the one with the problem because I call them out, is silly. Does this mean everyone in Staten Island is that way? Of course not...does this mean Staten Island is holding KKK rallies? That's a dumb question as you should know racism in 2013 doesn't come knocking on your door with white robes...

It's really an insular community that wants to stay that way..much like the Woodlawns and Breezy Points...if you don't fit the part..they make no mistake about letting you know..and therein lies the problem for me and many others.

Old 12-29-2013, 02:10 PM

34,018 posts, read 47,252,748 times
Quote:
Checkmate I think we will agree to disagree. The same reason/delusions people think the only reason why Woodlawn is still 95% Irish is because "people of color don't want to live there"..the same excuses why the Fire Dept is still exactly as it was in 1960 because "people of color don't want those jobs", and why Breezy Point makes sure it remains exactly the way it is whether it is 2013 or 1950...on and on...I don't play those silly games..that's for the simple minded and/or delusional. You are welcome to believe Staten Island is just a wholesome quiet community....and it is..so long as you "belong" there....and that includes 2013..the same way Woodlawn in 2013 is.

These types of communities are dwindling thankfully, but Staten Island is the last hold out for Archie and crew. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but pretending I am the one with the problem because I call them out, is silly. Does this mean everyone in Staten Island is that way? Of course not...does this mean Staten Island is holding KKK rallies? That's a dumb question as you should know racism in 2013 doesn't come knocking on your door with white robes...

It's really an insular community that wants to stay that way..much like the Woodlawns and Breezy Points...if you don't fit the part..they make no mistake about letting you know..and therein lies the problem for me and many others.
/thread

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City