Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 12:05 PM

428 posts, read 848,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisl01 View Post
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 12:13 PM

428 posts, read 848,899 times
Hip Hop may not be relevant but Country Rap tunes is still relevant. Maybe in the northeast with its gentrification and rapidly declining Black populations it is not, but in the South Rap and Country music are very relevant. Also I am listening to Three Six Mafia tear the club right now. You know that so called word is bond speak on it god, aiiite son, ignorant buffoonery rap. I am out this thread . I got my answers. New Yorkers are still arrogant and quick to belittle the south and a couple people on here gave me some good music leads.

Thanks for putting me up on Troy ave.

And thanks to the dude with the "foundations documentary" I had forgotten New York almost went bankrupt in 1975. You have led me to research more about what new york was like in the 70 and 80's. All i've ever researched or watched about New York was either pre 1950's when NYC was less than 5% Black, 60's era Malcolm-X, and 90's spike lee movies and tribe called quest stuff.

Old 01-03-2014, 12:19 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,976,059 times
What's also happening in the northeast, well from a NYC observation and more recent times. Segments of the population are being inspired or shifting into other subcultures. I am seeing more Black and Latino youths into Rock, Punk, Skate, Hipster and Electric themes than I did it the past. Declining populations indeed, but also a shifting of sub cultures and likely being inspired by the new comers.

Old 01-03-2014, 12:37 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,404,247 times
i don't get why you made the thread if you just have this basic, one-track perspective about new yorkers anyway. all of us don't have an arrogant attitude anymore than southerners have an over-compensating, cocky attitude.

and since when was dropping knowledge considered ignorant buffoonery?
that's a new one for me. you might have things a little twisted up yo.

papoose is one of my favorite underground ny emcees right now.
you might want to check him out, but then again maybe not. you
might not deal with lyrical scientists.

Old 01-03-2014, 02:57 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,973 times
I don't know...where is hip-hop relevant these days? This ain't the 90's when it had it's heyday in pop culture.

Old 01-03-2014, 03:06 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,404,247 times
^ that's what happened to hip hop. everyone wants to be radio-friendly and make "pop tunes" so they can get more exposure and make more money. i guess all music takes that route afterwhile.

Old 01-03-2014, 08:15 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,774,713 times
Gentrification also has a big deal to do with it.

Old 01-03-2014, 09:06 PM

3 posts, read 4,984 times
Most musical movements tend to follow a sort of linear transition (whether it be Heavy Metal to hip-hop/rap) in which the region of inception tends to be recognized for the birth, but the "nurture" or "development" of the actual musical endeavor is what I look forward to. While It would be cool for certain (good) artists to pop-up within NYC, the reality is that most artists that are still entertaining and interesting, imo, will likely aim to tour NYC. Therefore, I'm satisfy with that notion. Moreover, I still enjoy hip-hop/rap artist, regardless of their regional origin or current place of habitat. Artists like Deltron/DEL, Aesop Rock, etc are still producing entertaining music, i'll be there to attend their events. And we can stand here debate and quarrel all day about how certain characteristics of certain artists of the genre were "watered down/<insert any other "nuance of change> from the inception of artists. It's trivial, when it comes to the people still being entertained or be put-off, it'll happened regardless of our own interest in the music/idea. Enjoy yourselves, or don't.

E_G

Old 01-03-2014, 09:16 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,976,059 times
Another track I am digging -

Old 01-03-2014, 09:50 PM

620 posts, read 1,073,451 times
It IS relevant... Its just that before NY hip hop was a certain sound distinct from say Southern rap and west coast rap(snoop , nate dogg) .

With technology and integration ..these lines are blurred. And while NYC has several rappers bubbling right now... There is no distinct, nyc, boom boom bap soundt that makes it "NY"

Even Fabolous ( one of my fav. Rappers from East NY) raps over a trap beat( considered southern)

Sot there is really no saying any more
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City