Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 06:15 AM

19,074 posts, read 14,010,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumshoe Lady View Post
What kind of example?

You mean other young black males will grow a huge afro?

And then maybe all the other young black girls can wear a witch's hat or a garland of flowers in their hair.

Geez...not the black teens that I know.
You're talking to the guy who says Chiara makes him physically ill.

Dante on the other hand seems like a good kid who does well in school. I don't care about his afro one lick. If the mayor uses him as an example for black males, that's a good thing. I'd much prefer him over the three who rode the ferry into SI a few days ago to rob and stab people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 09:29 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,736,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumshoe Lady View Post
What's it to you what she wears on her head when her dad is being inaugurated? Or if they were celebrating New Years?

You're the one who brought it up

Quote:
And then maybe all the other young black girls can wear a witch's hat or a garland of flowers in their hair.

Old 01-06-2014, 03:12 PM

345 posts, read 854,906 times
That afro has to go. That's one hairstyle that shouldn't come back. Every time I look at my high school yearbook, it's like, what were we thinking.

Old 01-06-2014, 06:01 PM

25,556 posts, read 24,010,568 times
I think people are projecting their own issues with other people onto Dante. We don't know how the de Blasio's feel about the issue of sagging pants, or if Dante ever dresses like that.

But for the record, I've worn my jeans sagging because I didn't put on a belt that day. The cops didn't stop me. I'm not a thug.

Someone wearing their pants sagging doesn't make them a bad person any more than wearing a suit made Bernie Madoff and other notorious criminals on Wall Street good people because they wore suits.

Some of you should listen to En Vouge's song, Free Your Mind.

En Vogue - Free Your Mind (Official Video) - YouTube

Old 01-06-2014, 07:55 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,995,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Don't need to personally know them. Just know that most black parents who care about their sons don't tolerate certain behavior. They know what assumptions a cop might make and what they might do. Mrs. de Blasio has spoken out about her experiences of racism. She knows that some cops will just see a black kid, and not be concerned about what he is like as an individual, or what kind of home he comes from. Or in the case of Dante, that his father is white.

Indeed some of the saggies who you see pull them up before they go home.

I suspect that most cops by now will be able to recognize mr dante and he will be able to wear his pants where ever he likes... from all accounts not a bad kid white or black so let's all just leave him alone. Mom and Dad will be watching every move you can be sure

Old 01-07-2014, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I think people are projecting their own issues with other people onto Dante. We don't know how the de Blasio's feel about the issue of sagging pants, or if Dante ever dresses like that.

But for the record, I've worn my jeans sagging because I didn't put on a belt that day. The cops didn't stop me. I'm not a thug.

Someone wearing their pants sagging doesn't make them a bad person any more than wearing a suit made Bernie Madoff and other notorious criminals on Wall Street good people because they wore suits.

Some of you should listen to En Vouge's song, Free Your Mind.

En Vogue - Free Your Mind (Official Video) - YouTube

Come on, now. Your pants weren't hanging off your rearend and your underwear and/or butt crack out just because you weren't wearing a belt.

No, clothing doesn't make a person good or bad but you can best believe if the cops are looking to do a stop and frisk, they're going to roll up on someone with a thug-look (black OR white) before rolling up on someone in a business suit

Old 01-08-2014, 01:18 PM

58 posts, read 110,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
He's a privileged kid with a wonderful life ahead of him. Who needs being a normal boy?

Especially in NYC, being a normal boy is the least of your concern.

And I doubt he can mess things unless he does something really bad. Again, look at the Giuliani kids and the Bush kids.
Dante will probably end up at either Harvard, Yale or Princeton. I imagine that Dante could very well, in a few years win the NYC mayoral race.

Old 01-08-2014, 01:23 PM

58 posts, read 110,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd10025 View Post
That afro has to go. That's one hairstyle that shouldn't come back. Every time I look at my high school yearbook, it's like, what were we thinking.
The afro is nothing more than a natural hairstyle for black people. I find it appalling that so many black men and black women feel the need to alter their hair, just to make whites and others feel comfortable. All black people should feel comfortable and confident doing the same.

I like the De Blasio family because they seem comfortable in their own skin. Charlane and Chiara do not wear chemically treated hair or weaves/wigs and Dante sports his natural hair as well.

Old 01-08-2014, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miranda231 View Post
The afro is nothing more than a natural hairstyle for black people. I find it appalling that so many black men and black women feel the need to alter their hair, just to make whites and others feel comfortable. All black people should feel comfortable and confident doing the same.

I like the De Blasio family because they seem comfortable in their own skin. Charlane and Chiara do not wear chemically treated hair or weaves/wigs and Dante sports his natural hair as well.

Since when do black women get relaxers and wear wigs and weaves to make white people (or anyone for that matter) "comfortable"???? I've never heard anything like this before..... crazy.

Old 01-08-2014, 02:41 PM

559 posts, read 1,112,648 times
NYC: Bill Di Blasio, Dante Di Blasio
North Korea: Kim Il Sung, Kim Jong Il, Kim Jong Un
Azerbaijan: Heydar Aliyev, Ilham Aliyev
Libya: Muammar Ghaddaffi, Seif Ghaddafi
USA: George H W Bush, George W Bush
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City