Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 07:25 AM

112 posts, read 352,666 times

Advertisements

Governor Cuomo declared a state of emergency in the 5 boroughs today, yet DeBlasio ordered NYC public schools open? I think with the roads a mess and the frigid temperatures, this was a bad decision. Just about all private and parochial schools in NYC are closed today. Your opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 08:02 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,907,340 times
I think my commute was even better than the last storm we had.

If schools closed every time it snows or it's cold outside then kids would go to school maybe half of the winter months.
And when kids stay home, parents have to stay home. Loss of productivity, comes at a great cost my friend.

So bundle up and get out there. It's not even that bad.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:24 AM

1,616 posts, read 2,490,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediumrare View Post
Governor Cuomo declared a state of emergency in the 5 boroughs today, yet DeBlasio ordered NYC public schools open? I think with the roads a mess and the frigid temperatures, this was a bad decision. Just about all private and parochial schools in NYC are closed today. Your opinions?
You shouldn't waste your time asking that question. All it's going to accomplish is to bring out the teacher and union bashers.

There has been no logic at the NYC DOE for the last 15 years. Evidently, that trend will continue. While the wisest course would have been to keep schools closed, it would also have been smarter to have a delayed opening. As I drove my wife to work at 7 AM, many others were not even out and about yet. Roads were uncharacteristically empty. It was after my return home that I saw a lot of the "private business" folk getting ready to leave. They obviously had the option to delay their departure until conditions became more tolerable. At 7 AM the roads might have been plowed (mostly) but they were far from safe. I witnessed a number of mothers with children slipping and sliding in cars and on foot. People do not realize that when schools are open, unlike an office, the adults have to be there on time to receive the children. There is no flexibility despite poor road conditions, minimal parking, decreased transit service, and uncleaned sidewalks.

Sadly, the NYC school system has become more of a daycare service that anything else. I speak from experience when I tell you that little will be accomplished today with more absences and children being distracted.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:25 AM

1,616 posts, read 2,490,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
I think my commute was even better than the last storm we had.

If schools closed every time it snows or it's cold outside then kids would go to school maybe half of the winter months.
And when kids stay home, parents have to stay home. Loss of productivity, comes at a great cost my friend.

So bundle up and get out there. It's not even that bad.
Even young children are aware of the dangers of frostbite in these temperatures.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:48 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,993,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediumrare View Post

Stop being such a wutz--- the schools should have opened today--- it is fine out. I come from New England and this is like a spring day to me.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:49 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,907,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic59 View Post
Even young children are aware of the dangers of frostbite in these temperatures.
Yea and even young children know that you have to bundle up when it's cold outside.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:56 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
Damn cold today, I had my skiing gloves on and still get frostbite. Close the damn schools already.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:07 AM

343 posts, read 1,092,921 times
it is cold, and it is messy. but i'm pretty sure he didn't close schools AGAIN because they were just closed at the beginning of the month. when they close schools unexpectedly they have to make those days up at the end of the year.

bundle up snow bunnies!

Old 01-22-2014, 10:29 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,080,233 times
When I got up this morning I thought,as I did with the last storm,that a delayed opening would have been the appropriate action.I left a little earlier than usual but it really wasn't necessary.My usual 17 minute bus ride took about 20 minutes and there were lots of school kids on the bus.Nobody else seemed to have much of a problem either.

I think some people are getting really wimpy about this cold and snow thing and some other people are just looking for a reason to bash the mayor no matter what he does.

The better question is why did the governor declare a "state of emergency ?"

Last edited by bluedog2; 01-22-2014 at 10:42 AM..

Old 01-22-2014, 11:04 AM

8,695 posts, read 11,084,011 times
I am a product of nyc public school. As long as I can remember, its pretty rare nyc school are closed. From what I understand, it was more about the school lunches for the students. When I was in public school a long time ago, they merged 5 classes into one small classroom....had about 8-10 kids total....and we watched a movie & discusses nonsense all day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City