Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 11:51 AM

20 posts, read 43,810 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I am thinking of moving to Pelham Bay in the Bronx and was hoping to get some insight from people who have lived in the area or just moved there. I have visited the area by car and train and have felt very safe walking around and with the area in general. I am curious why the area is priced so relatively low - it is a quiet neighborhood, easy access to highways, local/express 6 train to Manhattan and relatively decent food options for the Bronx and is also located right next to an amazing park and waterfront.

In my mind, the only reason that makes sense for why it is undervalued is the long commute to Manhattan (45min-1hr if you are downtown) and the lack of nightlife. It is by no means a trendy or cool neighborhood but I feel it has everything one could want from NYC if they want affordability, peace and quiet, easy transportation access (and always a seat on the train), and green space.

I would like to hear people honest opinions on what they like/dislike about the neighborhood, how demographics have changed (just by reading the forums it seems it was predominantly Italian but is now moving toward a more Hispanic presence), and how they see the future of this hidden Bronx neighborhood.

Thanks guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2014, 11:58 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,689,401 times
it always looks safe and it is but its a bit too urban and gritty, not enough trees, crowded, trafficked

Old 01-19-2014, 12:00 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,378,760 times
You pretty much nailed it on the head...it is a long way to the city. It does have lots of great things that you indicated, relatively safe, quiet, green, lots of parkland, suburban homes, some food and entertainment options, easy highway access, the 6 train, and affordable. But that commute to Manhattan is a killer...so it keeps prices affordable. That's not such a bad thing!

As for the future, look for it to continue to improve, and becoming an increasingly Hispanic enclave.

Old 01-19-2014, 12:10 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,976,059 times
A cousin of mine moved into the area and around the Buhre stop 2 months ago and likes it. He stated his train ride home has some sketchy individuals on it until it enters Parkchester then it all relaxes again. LOL!

Old 01-19-2014, 12:10 PM

They probably are saying the same thing about your cousin..which is why they are exiting at Parkchester!

Old 01-19-2014, 12:35 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,639,758 times
Pelham Bay Park is one of the few areas of the Bronx I really enjoy and my favorite area of the Bronx. It's beautiful, near a great park, has good dining options and good shopping options (if you consider Bay Plaza and Westchester Square). Plus, the 6 train is right there. Seems like some are fussing about the 6 train but the 6 train (along with he 1) are consistently ranked as one of the best trains in NYC. I've NEVER had a problem with the 6. It can take me from Pelham Bay to Chinatown in an hour and its always on time. Whether its early morning or late night, the 6 train has never given me a problem (maybe one time due to a police investigation but not malfunctions).

Pelham Bay is also one of the few places in the Bronx where I feel safe going for a jog at 3am. No where else in the Bronx would you catch me running or jogging at that time.

Old 01-19-2014, 12:55 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,080,233 times
The neighborhood is fine.The only reason why the rents and prices are relatively low is because it is in The Bronx.If Pelham Bay were in Brooklyn or Queens the rents would be 50% higher.

Old 01-19-2014, 01:03 PM

Well yes and know...if Pelham Bay were in Brooklyn and Queens and as far away from Manhattan as it is now, the rents would be the same. If Pelham Bay were in BK and Queens but 15 minutes from Manhattan, THEN the rents would be 50%++++ higher.

Old 01-19-2014, 01:11 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,080,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Well yes and know...if Pelham Bay were in Brooklyn and Queens and as far away from Manhattan as it is now, the rents would be the same. If Pelham Bay were in BK and Queens but 15 minutes from Manhattan, THEN the rents would be 50%++++ higher.
No,if Pelham Bay were in Brooklyn or Queens and the same distance from Manhattan the rents would be 50% higher. If it were in Brooklyn or Queens and only 15 minutes fro Manhattan the rents would be more than 100% higher.

Old 01-19-2014, 01:21 PM

I disagree but who knows. At the end of the day I like the nabe, just think it is too far from the city. I like the 6 train...it is a work horse and always reliable, but that's the only line serving the area, and it is a local train at that (except during rush hour).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City