Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 06:52 PM

34,043 posts, read 47,260,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
I am a product of nyc public school. As long as I can remember, its pretty rare nyc school are closed. From what I understand, it was more about the school lunches for the students. When I was in public school a long time ago, they merged 5 classes into one small classroom....had about 8-10 kids total....and we watched a movie & discusses nonsense all day.
Old school! You sir are a real dirty new Yorker. Remember those pumpkin cookies?

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 06:54 PM

We never got snow days back in the 80s or 90s. You people are too touchscreen man. Today I went to work - on that A train that crosses over Jamaica Bay. I wore my aviator hat, my North Face snorkel, a hoodie, a knit sweater under that, a thermal shirt under that, regular t-shirt under that, long johns for the legs. I was good money. Get right. Layer up.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:58 PM

8,104 posts, read 6,748,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
We never got snow days back in the 80s or 90s. You people are too touchscreen man. Today I went to work - on that A train that crosses over Jamaica Bay. I wore my aviator hat, my North Face snorkel, a hoodie, a knit sweater under that, a thermal shirt under that, regular t-shirt under that, long johns for the legs. I was good money. Get right. Layer up.
Geez where were you going seventh...the North Pole?

Old 01-22-2014, 07:03 PM

1,616 posts, read 2,489,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
A simple & sensible suggestion for anyone worried about their child(ren)'s safety today:
If you don't want your children to go to school today, don't send them!
Has your child ever missed a day of school? Afraid the little one won't get a perfect attendance award? You can stay home with them, and perhaps share the day with your child(ren)! Wouldn't it be great, if you tried to teach the something today?
Especially, something that didn't involve whining?
Don't have kids, I am a teacher, I don't whine, I went to work today after driving my wife to her school.
You obviously know nothing about what actually goes on in schools so stop preaching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Ya,maybe all these people who get so angry about schools staying open should take a breath and think about the tens of thousands of NY City kids whose only source of food is the meals they get in school.No school means no food for some.

No,wait,that will probably just get them more enraged, since they are obviously prone to getting enraged anyway.The idea of feeding hungry kids might be too much for them to bear.
Probably the only place they get proper adult supervision, intelligent conversation, intellectually stimulated, prevented from wasting entire days playing video games or texting, get taught real values and don't get abused or spoiled.

Still doesn't mean that making them trudge around in negative wind chills and spend the day in poorly ventilated and heated buildings is right. Does no one understand the hypocrisy and contradictions flying around here?

Seriously, the level of ignorance, right wing rhetoric, and sheer idiocy displayed on this board is mind numbing. Really helps me understand why a lot of these kids are the way they are, considering the dolts posing as adults and parents in this city. Poor kids were doomed out of the gate.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Thank you for acknowledging it was FREAKIN' cold today.

A refreshing change from the brain dead refrain, "It ain't so bad".

One must be seriously damaged to not understand when temperature and weather extremes require exceptional preparation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLYbwH0q01s

Old 01-22-2014, 07:16 PM

OR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-OUEtULUt4

Old 01-22-2014, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic59 View Post
Thank you for acknowledging it was FREAKIN' cold today.

A refreshing change from the brain dead refrain, "It ain't so bad".

One must be seriously damaged to not understand when temperature and weather extremes require exceptional preparation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLYbwH0q01s
People in Alaska are laughing at us.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
Geez where were you going seventh...the North Pole?
No, to work - chasing that dollar. I'm not wasting personal days just because its cold out.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:32 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,071,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic59 View Post
Don't have kids, I am a teacher, I don't whine, I went to work today after driving my wife to her school.
You obviously know nothing about what actually goes on in schools so stop preaching.

Probably the only place they get proper adult supervision, intelligent conversation, intellectually stimulated, prevented from wasting entire days playing video games or texting, get taught real values and don't get abused or spoiled.

Still doesn't mean that making them trudge around in negative wind chills and spend the day in poorly ventilated and heated buildings is right. Does no one understand the hypocrisy and contradictions flying around here?

Seriously, the level of ignorance, right wing rhetoric, and sheer idiocy displayed on this board is mind numbing. Really helps me understand why a lot of these kids are the way they are, considering the dolts posing as adults and parents in this city. Poor kids were doomed out of the gate.
Nobody makes anyone do anything.Everyone knows that on big snow days the attendance is pretty much optional.Attendance today city wide was only around 50 %,so obviously many didn't feel forced to do anything.The point is that the schools were open for those who wanted or needed to go.

Nobody slams parents for keeping their kids home so why do some parents slam the one's who want or need their kids to be in school ? I don't get it.Why can't the schools be open and everyone deal with it in whatever way they want or can? What's all this pressure to close the schools ? It certainly didn't exist 20 years ago.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:33 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,370,159 times
If the rest of the people have to work, so should teachers. So sick of the whining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City