Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 08:13 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times

Advertisements

I flew my drone on a rooftop once and I had to run. An NYPD helicopter was approaching and spotted me flying the drone. I had to high tail it off of the roof. Drones are cool though but just becareful, also don't fly it near airports. I live near LaGuardia airport and I'm sure air traffic control can pick up or read pings from drones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2015, 11:30 PM

575 posts, read 672,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Thanks for the info. Also i might fly my uav in and around Randalls Island not to far from me. I just hope my aircraft does not crash into the East River or Harlem River.
. . . or any of the "three rivers" in Pittsburgh. Just don't let that thing get away from you.

Really, no river is excluded.

Old 01-19-2015, 08:30 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,515,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I live near LaGuardia airport and I'm sure air traffic control can pick up or read pings from drones.
If it makes you feel any better, that shouldn't be an issue. Your drone doesn't have a transponder on it (which sends out the "pings"), so the only you would be viewable is on primary radar, which is rarely used outside of an emergency and your small drone would just fall in with every bird in the sky.

Old 01-19-2015, 08:46 AM

1,998 posts, read 1,882,399 times
I believe the use of RC drones in NYC are becoming common for real estate developers looking to build luxury apartments. They want to film the view from above (as how a resident's apartment window view will appear).

Old 01-19-2015, 09:26 AM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
Flying an RC aircraft is illegal everywhere in NYC except at a few clubs controlled by the AMA (good luck getting in if you're not buddies with someone there).

Old 01-19-2015, 09:29 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,515,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Flying an RC aircraft is illegal everywhere in NYC except at a few clubs controlled by the AMA (good luck getting in if you're not buddies with someone there).
Anybody can join the AMA and fly with them. I did years ago, although I found I much preferred flying by myself rather than with a group.

I don't *think* you have to be in the AMA to fly at Floyd Bennett Field (the main spot I'm aware of in NYC). They're not a government organization and they don't own the field, so I don't see how they can force you not to fly unless you're a member.

Old 01-19-2015, 09:45 AM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
Anybody can join the AMA and fly with them. I did years ago, although I found I much preferred flying by myself rather than with a group.

I don't *think* you have to be in the AMA to fly at Floyd Bennett Field (the main spot I'm aware of in NYC). They're not a government organization and they don't own the field, so I don't see how they can force you not to fly unless you're a member.
Anyone can join the AMA, but the individual clubs are another matter. They are often not accepting new members and/or require sponsorship. Joke's on them, though, as there are a bunch of bills pending making a no-fly zone including Floyd Bennett Field. The Pennsylvania Avenue Radio Control Society controls that field.

The AMA has a nice little protection society going. They approach municipalities where people are flying, and they say "Nice park you got there, you really want to be liable for RC-plane related injuries? No? Here's what you do; you give us exclusive use of part of the park, ban RC flying everywhere else, and you'll be covered by our site insurance. Such a deal!"

Old 01-20-2015, 07:27 AM

7 posts, read 13,319 times
Some interesting news. It seems FAA can't keep up with the proliferation of recreational drones. The risk they pose to airplanes are compared to the risk birds crashing on engines:

Drones Flying Circles Around FAA - The Daily Beast

I guess regulations will come but it is a slow process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City