Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 08:42 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,984,523 times

Advertisements

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/10/us...w&rref=us&_r=0

Food stamps, after getting cut in Nov., are being cut AGAIN. The Democrats and the Republicans have agreed to cut them by 9 billion or 900 million a year for 10 years.

Clearly programs or people in NYC supported by snap benefits will feel the economic impact. HRA with less federal money coming in will have to lay off workers and/or close cases for clients. This is not counting the second round of sequestration cuts.

And of course, the unions want raises with retroactive pay at a point when the city is getting in less money.

I don't think the city will actually go bankrupt, but if the unions get raises that money has to come from somewhere. Meaning the city will just lay off more civil service workers and use more technology to replace them where possible.

Let me say I am not in favor of working people losing their job, but cuts in federal funding put the city in a precarious position. How can the unions not only ask for a RAISE, but ask for RETROACTIVE pay?

In a work case scenario if NYC declared bankruptcy, all union contracts would be null and void anyway, so pushing the city into a bad contract just isn't worth it.

Now that I think of it, all these cuts are happening in the middle of a COLD WINTER. How COLD!

Last edited by NyWriterdude; 01-11-2014 at 09:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 03:16 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,066,898 times
Cut in food stamps again? What are they thinking? Beer sales at the bodegas are already down

Old 01-12-2014, 03:35 AM

277 posts, read 401,574 times

Old 01-12-2014, 06:36 AM

2,517 posts, read 4,256,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/10/us...w&rref=us&_r=0

Food stamps, after getting cut in Nov., are being cut AGAIN. The Democrats and the Republicans have agreed to cut them by 9 billion or 900 million a year for 10 years.

Clearly programs or people in NYC supported by snap benefits will feel the economic impact. HRA with less federal money coming in will have to lay off workers and/or close cases for clients. This is not counting the second round of sequestration cuts.

And of course, the unions want raises with retroactive pay at a point when the city is getting in less money.

I don't think the city will actually go bankrupt, but if the unions get raises that money has to come from somewhere. Meaning the city will just lay off more civil service workers and use more technology to replace them where possible.

Let me say I am not in favor of working people losing their job, but cuts in federal funding put the city in a precarious position. How can the unions not only ask for a RAISE, but ask for RETROACTIVE pay?

In a work case scenario if NYC declared bankruptcy, all union contracts would be null and void anyway, so pushing the city into a bad contract just isn't worth it.

Now that I think of it, all these cuts are happening in the middle of a COLD WINTER. How COLD!
Good, hopefully that'll motivate these people to get off their butts and find a job and fend for themselves instead of depending on Uncle Sam for a handout.

Old 01-12-2014, 06:38 AM

706 posts, read 1,042,362 times
Damn bro! You are still posting here. Lol, just move back to NYC.

Do you create these many threads in the new city you live in??

Last edited by LifeSurfer; 01-12-2014 at 07:07 AM..

Old 01-12-2014, 06:58 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,907,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeSurfer View Post
Damn bro! You are still posting here. Lol, just move back to NYC.

Do you create this many threads in the new city you live in??
Good question.

I don't know where this guy lives but dude needs to move on with his life. Oh wait.....

Old 01-12-2014, 07:41 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
Good, hopefully that'll motivate these people to get off their butts and find a job and fend for themselves instead of depending on Uncle Sam for a handout.

Have you ever worked out who eventually gets the food stamp MONEY?
Think hard about that and see if you can work it out for yourself?

<I am available for hints if you cannot get the answer.>

Old 01-12-2014, 08:00 AM

2,517 posts, read 4,256,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Have you ever worked out who eventually gets the food stamp MONEY?
Think hard about that and see if you can work it out for yourself?

<I am available for hints if you cannot get the answer.>

I already know what you're going to say...corporations. But that's a no brainer KK. Corporations are PRODUCERS. Handout or not, all monies go to PRODUCERS because people seek services PRODUCERS aka corporation create.

Heck, if you don't want PRODUCERS aka corporation to benefit from handouts or any monies, I suggest one go out and kill their dinner like before civilization existed instead of depending on PRODUCERS aka corporation to do the killing for you, cutting it up in nice little pieces or chucks and conveniently pack it up for you.

You see where I'm going with this KK? If one wants convenience, then one is at the wims of the PRODUCERS aka CORPORATIONS. Hence why tax incentives are given to corporations which people like you like to slander and call it corporate welfare.

PRODUCERS aka Corporations are a good thing in a civilized society as they not only provide a service, they hire people to help provide that service.

I don't care how anti-business one may be, the fact is that without PRODUCERS aka corporations, one would be very inconvenienced.

Remember, you don't appreciate the stuff you have until you lose it. Keep that in mind KK next time you have one of your anti-business rants.

Old 01-12-2014, 08:36 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,066,898 times
You mean an anti-business rant that was made by on a computer made by one of those producers. Amazing how people are so blinded not to see how much they have that is Produced by the same evil corporations they despise.

Old 01-12-2014, 08:39 AM

675 posts, read 1,256,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
I'm sure you're smart enough to know that a large percentage of people receiving food assistance do actually work? And I'm also sure you're smart enough to know that JP Morgan makes billions in handling the electronic food stamp transactions and they produce NOTHING (other than a fraudulent debt-based monetary ponzi scheme) right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City