Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 07:07 AM

2,440 posts, read 6,260,120 times

Advertisements

I looked at the photos. Kind of looks like a gay rights parade with Irish themes, rather than a St. Patrick's Day parade with gay themes. You know, a group marching with the banner Queers of Queens.

Never understood the gays obsession with their sexuality. Your gay. Nobody cares. Move on to something else. Get a life.

And there will be thousands of gays marching in the real St. Patrick's Day parade, like there are every year. They just won't be announcing their sexuality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 07:29 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,723,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
I looked at the photos. Kind of looks like a gay rights parade with Irish themes, rather than a St. Patrick's Day parade with gay themes.
Half the participants had no green on them to be found, let alone an Irish flag or shamrock

Old 03-03-2014, 11:33 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,108,790 times
Quote:
Never understood the gays obsession with their sexuality. Your gay. Nobody cares. Move on to something else. Get a life.
IMO this is what hurts the gay activist movement the most, it's not that people hate gays ... it's that people are FED UP with having them shove their sexuality down our throats.

Nobody is saying they cannot march, they just cannot march while chanting their "We're here, we're *****" slogan and holding huge signs announcing their sexual preferences. I don't see what the issue is, march and respect the wishes of the parade organizers or don't march at all ... it's quite simple really.

Old 03-03-2014, 11:38 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
I looked at the photos. Kind of looks like a gay rights parade with Irish themes, rather than a St. Patrick's Day parade with gay themes. You know, a group marching with the banner Queers of Queens.

And there will be thousands of gays marching in the real St. Patrick's Day parade, like there are every year. They just won't be announcing their sexuality.
Sure they are.

Or else why would there have even been a gay rights movement to begin with? Until recently, you could have been denied military service if you were gay . Considering the military pays for college for a number of people, this had substantial effects on the careers of gay people. Not to mention people have been denied employment because of their sexuality.

Of course, people have been denied housing because of their sexuality as well.

In fact. the Stonewall Riots occurred in 1969 because in those days a bar in NYS could not knowingly serve more than three homosexuals.

I think you do know that gays are discriminated against, but because you don't want to see the issue dealt with you'd rather people by silent and accept whatever horrible treatment is thrown their way.

Last edited by NyWriterdude; 03-03-2014 at 12:39 PM..

Old 03-03-2014, 11:42 AM

1,268 posts, read 2,562,414 times
Quote:

It's hard to use that "nobody cares" stance when gays are clearly still being discriminated against in many ways. I mean, just look at the Arizona law that was just vetoed. So yeah, people still do care enough to cause social & emotional harm to them and anyone with intelligence & dignity would speak out against being discriminated.

Old 03-03-2014, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njnyckid View Post
It's hard to use that "nobody cares" stance when gays are clearly still being discriminated against in many ways. I mean, just look at the Arizona law that was just vetoed. So yeah, people still do care enough to cause social & emotional harm to them and anyone with intelligence & dignity would speak out against being discriminated.
Like you said, this idiotic law was vetoed.

If I were gay, and some flower shop owner told me he was against gay marriage and didn't want to serve me, I would just go to the next flower shop. Not the biggest deal in the world. I wouldn't waste my time suing.

The other thing about this law that was stupid - the store owner could agree to provide flowers for a gay wedding, but at the same time tell the couple that he was opposed to gay marriage and thought homosexuality was a sin. The gay couple would take their business elsewhere, and no law was violated.

Old 03-03-2014, 01:49 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Like you said, this idiotic law was vetoed.

If I were gay, and some flower shop owner told me he was against gay marriage and didn't want to serve me, I would just go to the next flower shop. Not the biggest deal in the world. I wouldn't waste my time suing.

The other thing about this law that was stupid - the store owner could agree to provide flowers for a gay wedding, but at the same time tell the couple that he was opposed to gay marriage and thought homosexuality was a sin. The gay couple would take their business elsewhere, and no law was violated.
Unless of course you got banned collectively by the vast majority of flower shops. Such widespread discrimination existed in the US not too long ago. Its why we had a civil rights movement in the first place.

You might actually speak to gay people about how they feel and what they go through, as opposed to presuming to speak for them or what they should do.

Old 03-03-2014, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Unless of course you got banned collectively by the vast majority of flower shops. Such widespread discrimination existed in the US not too long ago. Its why we had a civil rights movement in the first place.

You might actually speak to gay people about how they feel and what they go through, as opposed to presuming to speak for them or what they should do.
I honestly doubt that the vast majority of flower shops are going to turn away business, do you? And the could cite a single case where a gay person in Arizona was turned away for anything. Another reason why the law was so absurd.

Old 03-03-2014, 02:27 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,723,110 times
Quote:
I honestly doubt that the vast majority of flower shops are going to turn away business, do you? And the could cite a single case where a gay person in Arizona was turned away for anything. Another reason why the law was so absurd.
plus, that's Arizona. Has any homosexual been discriminated against in NYC in the past 2 decades?

Old 03-03-2014, 03:13 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,562,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
plus, that's Arizona. Has any homosexual been discriminated against in NYC in the past 2 decades?
There's been a few incidents highlighted within the last year or two of assault and/or killings. Just search them...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City