Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2019, 04:37 AM

294 posts, read 263,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
I was born in Briarwood. It seems to have remained a solidly diverse middle class area just as it was in the 80s. Laurelton, Ozone Park, and Richmond Hill all seem plenty nice. It's South Ozone Park by the airport that seems to have collapsed. Broad Channel is a working class Irish area (cop/fireman set). I agree w/ the rest of this list except that DT Jamaica is turning around.
SOP below Rockaway Blvd has quite a few McMansions being built by the Hindus. I couldn't believe it, luxury cars in the driveways as well. Most of the area still sucks, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2019, 06:11 AM

337 posts, read 356,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgonzales193 View Post
10 Worst Neighborhoods in Queens (not in any particular order)

1. Jamaica (the south part is just ghetto af)
2. Far Rockaway
3. Arverne
4. Broad Channel (Although I feel like the neighborhood is getting slightly better)
5. Richmond Hill (including south)
6. Ozone Park (including south)
7. Rosedale
8. Springfield Gardens
9. Laurelton
10.Briarwood

7. Rosedale
8. Springfield Gardens
9. Laurelton

You have to be joking right? I've felt much safer walking around desolate blocks in these areas (7,8,9) in the dead of night than I have in Jackson Heights, East Elmhurst, Corona, Sunnyside and Woodhaven during the DAY. Statistically, the neighborhoods I just mentioned in western Queens have higher crime. Look at crime maps.

The stakes are much lower in Rosedale, Springfield Gardens and Laurelton. Bigger houses, working class and professional families, single-family homes (though developers are tearing down tudors to build ugly multi-families). It's more dangerous to be caught on Austin Street in Forest Hills or 63rd Drive in Rego Park or anywhere in Elmhurst, Corona, Wooside and Sunnyside than any of the entire neighborhoods in Southeastern Queens you listed.

Old 08-16-2019, 06:18 AM

34,049 posts, read 47,260,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8Str8 View Post
SOP below Rockaway Blvd has quite a few McMansions being built by the Hindus. I couldn't believe it, luxury cars in the driveways as well. Most of the area still sucks, though.
Give it about 30-40 years, the entire southwestern Queens/City Line area of Brooklyn will be mostly southwest Asian demographic

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-16-2019, 06:57 AM

325 posts, read 199,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Give it about 30-40 years, the entire southwestern Queens/City Line area of Brooklyn will be mostly southwest Asian demographic
Your right It kind of already is in transition , a lot of Richmond hill and ozone park is Indian/Bengali or indo Caribbean and City line has a lot of them now too .

Old 08-16-2019, 07:05 AM

325 posts, read 199,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCareerGuy View Post
7. Rosedale
8. Springfield Gardens
9. Laurelton

You have to be joking right? I've felt much safer walking around desolate blocks in these areas (7,8,9) in the dead of night than I have in Jackson Heights, East Elmhurst, Corona, Sunnyside and Woodhaven during the DAY. Statistically, the neighborhoods I just mentioned in western Queens have higher crime. Look at crime maps.

The stakes are much lower in Rosedale, Springfield Gardens and Laurelton. Bigger houses, working class and professional families, single-family homes (though developers are tearing down tudors to build ugly multi-families). It's more dangerous to be caught on Austin Street in Forest Hills or 63rd Drive in Rego Park or anywhere in Elmhurst, Corona, Wooside and Sunnyside than any of the entire neighborhoods in Southeastern Queens you listed.
Agreed , those neighborhoods are pretty dead usually . They remind me of Long Island . I think those 3 specifically may have bad reps maybe because gangs from neighboring south Jamaica and rochdale area have people over there so it’s resulted in some robberies and shootings . But In general those are all pretty safe and high income

Old 08-16-2019, 07:16 AM

337 posts, read 356,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan2queens View Post
Agreed , those neighborhoods are pretty dead usually . They remind me of Long Island . I think those 3 specifically may have bad reps maybe because gangs from neighboring south Jamaica and rochdale area have people over there so it’s resulted in some robberies and shootings . But In general those are all pretty safe and high income
That and for the demographics of the neighborhoods. They see a certain look or shade, or maybe teens dressing a certain way in those areas and automatically assume "bad neighborhood". Those areas have always been solidly middle - upper middle class... Safer than a lot of in-demand Western Queens neighborhood because of their proximity to Manhattan and denser retail corridors.

This is a 2006 article from the New York Times about Cambria Heights and St. Albans.

https://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/01/n.../01census.html

South Jamaica and Rochdale on the other hand have always been not-so-great socio-economically, but even that is changing because of development in Jamaica proper, Atlantic Ticket (re-appreciation/re-discovery of the LIRR as a reliable commuting option), and the AIR TRAIN. Housing prices are slowly creeping up even in places like South Jamaica.

Last edited by ThatCareerGuy; 08-16-2019 at 07:43 AM..

Old 08-16-2019, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCareerGuy View Post
That and for the demographics of the neighborhoods. They see a certain look or shade, or maybe teens dressing a certain way in those areas and automatically assume "bad neighborhood". Those areas have always been solidly middle - upper middle class... Safer than a lot of in-demand Western Queens neighborhood because of their proximity to Manhattan and denser retail corridors.

This is a 2006 article from the New York Times about Cambria Heights and St. Albans.

https://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/01/n.../01census.html

South Jamaica and Rochdale on the other hand have always been not-so-great socio-economically, but even that is changing because of development in Jamaica proper, Atlantic Ticket (re-appreciation/re-discovery of the LIRR as a reliable commuting option), and the AIR TRAIN. Housing prices are slowly creeping up even in places like South Jamaica.
Anybody that says Rosedale is bad is talking out of their ass

I dare anybody to find a turn-key SFH w/driveway in Rosedale for under $600K

Old 08-16-2019, 07:54 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,713,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussiaRussiaRussia View Post
No offense to Chinese immigrants with money, as they are very nice people, but they just don't want to be "American" in the historical sense of the world.
I know what you're saying but having known many Korean and Chinese people over the years they are as American as anyone else. Maybe not the ones that moved here at a later age, but definitely their children or those that moved at a young age Americanize quickly. They do the 4th of July thing and celebrate thanksgiving like everyone else alongside maintaining their Asian heritage

Old 08-16-2019, 08:00 AM

294 posts, read 263,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Do you think that long? I'd give it maybe 15 years. Hey, the Indian restaurants up along intersection of Atlantic Ave and Lefferts Blvd are some of the best in the city. There are about 8 of them in the intersection. Would be a foodie destination if there was Subway access and better parking.

Old 08-16-2019, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8Str8 View Post
Do you think that long? I'd give it maybe 15 years. Hey, the Indian restaurants up along intersection of Atlantic Ave and Lefferts Blvd are some of the best in the city. There are about 8 of them in the intersection. Would be a foodie destination if there was Subway access and better parking.
Yes that long, because of Howard Beach and Lindenwood

But in the long run, in 50 years everything south of Atlantic Avenue will be mostly Black or southwest Asian/Indian subcontinent
Everything north of Atlantic Avenue will be mostly east Asian/Hispanic
Everything west of Flushing Meadows Park/Queens Center Mall will be mostly transplants

We're slowly adapting the European model

Which is a feat within itself because NYC is an archipelago.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City