Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 11:27 AM

136 posts, read 240,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy skies View Post
"Farina says many kids are so poor, their only chance for a hot lunch is at school. Their parents are unable to take care of them, if they stay home.

Parents have to go to work. You didn't hear of any businesses in the city of New York closed down. Macy's was open. So if people can go shopping and go to work, then kids can go to school," Farina said." (Daily Kos)

Ms. Farina, we CAN do a lot of things that don't necessarily MAKE SENSE at the time. A few observations:

--There haven't been a whole lot of shoppers at Macy's today.

--Many parents don't have to go to work today.

--And if school is the only thing standing between NYC school children and noontime starvation, then, sigh, this city is even more third world than I thought.

Precisely! Is this the best our city can do for our kids with all the tax dollars they collect from us?

Its actually funny how all the officials keep telling everyone to stay off the road, and do not travel if you dont have to. That is unless you have to go on the road and travel to get your kid. Honestly, open schools for food and daycare but let the rest of us keep our kids home. Unfortunately, absences in 4th grade are counted toward a kid's admission to middle school, otherwise, i would have kept my kid home to play in the snow instead of spending 6 hours in a dingy auditorium.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2014, 12:31 PM

4,947 posts, read 10,815,139 times
What you need is for a family member of her's to get hurt on killed while on their way to school.
Problem solved.

Old 02-13-2014, 01:07 PM

136 posts, read 240,420 times
Default Common sense counts not whether you have kids!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaconowner View Post
I have no young children in public school. You say I have no vote, but are perfectly happy to accept my tax dollars to fund your broods education! Thank you for the breeders perspective.
I agree with you actually, taxpayers, with or without kids, should have a vote on this. This city is spending millions on keeping the schools open, even without teaching staff. Instead of that, it would have been nice to get the streets cleaned. The plows simply shove things off, and there is no more place to shove. I work in Manhattan and live in Brooklyn, and the other day i saw trucks in downtown Manhattan loading up snow and dumping it into the river. Thats why streets there are clean, while we climb over hills coming and going. Take that money you would have saved today by closing the schools and use it to clean the Boroughs Mr. Mayor! I swear, this one is worse than Bloomberg, and i really disliked Bloomberg. Bus stops have not even been cleaned. I wrote emails, filed complaints on 311, but i guess since i am not on the upper east side, he is not listening. Since this rant is off topic, i will stop, but it is all related....bad management of this city is everywhere!

Old 02-13-2014, 02:29 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,762,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy skies View Post
"Farina says many kids are so poor, their only chance for a hot lunch is at school. Their parents are unable to take care of them, if they stay home.
are they running soup kitchens or schools? What a joke.

Old 02-13-2014, 02:43 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,917,376 times
One of the many reasons why I refuse to have kids in NYC

Old 02-13-2014, 03:32 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
According to 5PM news reports the mayor's office made their decision about school closings last night. Apparently they wanted to give parents an early heads up and at that time weather forecasts were not calling for things to be that bad in NYC.

Still all things considered once again it is *NOT* that bad out there. I've had to go to school, high school and college in worse weather.

If NYC closed schools often as some of you wished this year kids would be still in classes during July.

Old 02-13-2014, 03:33 PM

237 posts, read 482,605 times
It's not bad right now but it was pretty awful this morning. A delayed opening would've been appropriate, at least.

Pretty much everywhere in the tri-state area but NYC closed school today, so it's really not that hilariously outrageous of a concept.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: