Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 10:26 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,406,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beejay24/7 View Post
Well folks, Above average bear and Bilmin were absolutely right, I got screwed over big time, two months in , the rent started coming late, four months in , it started coming in sporadically, by year's end I had started sending him notices of intent to evict, January we started the process , so far we've been in court four times, and the eviction is scheduled for next month, dude hasn't paid a dime in ten months, and even after the eviction I still have to keep his **** for another 30 days, then I have to move it at my expense to a storage facility. I can't even go after him for the money owed because the building was built pre C of O and idiot that I am, I decided to be all 'legalise it' and crap, and because I didn't have an official C of O , my lawyer says I can't get the money, which would be fine if he would just git, unfortunately it's a huge studio at below market, he keeps complaining that he's been looking and can't find anything like it, of course not *******, I thought I was being nice by knocking hundreds of bucks off the price, the irony is, the two jobs he claimed he had vaporised , then he claims he started working again,and seemed puzzled that I wouldn't take his money after the eviction was scheduled, he even had housing call me with an offer to cover some of his back rent, I asked the housing guy, 'so you pay me four months rent now, and next month he can't come up with the rent again, and I'm supposed to go through this again ?' housing guy '....(crickets)...' Meanwhile the guarantor turned out to be one of those pathetic jailbird groupies, three months in she bailed, reportedly after she caught him with some young chicks, sent me a letter from another state basically saying deuces.Yeah, the whole baptist minister shtick only lasted long enough for the parole board to stamp his parole approval, the parole officer was replaced by someone else who said they don't concern themselves with civil matters .We had a month to month lease and he's still in the apartment almost a year after he stopped paying, so now I'm screening tenants for the other apartment pending his eviction and guess what, my give a damn is broken, I'm asking upfront what is your income , why are you moving, will you consent to a background and credit check? and jettisoning the ones that don't make the cut before I even agree to show the apartment. Boy have I learned my lesson.
I would have never let him in my place to begin with. Cheer up, Beejay.. could've been worse.

Last edited by G0DDESS; 06-20-2015 at 11:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2015, 10:40 PM

1,369 posts, read 1,254,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
beanniebaby7 what is with all the smilie faces on every post?
This is just my thing,..😉 and all my faces are not smiling if you look closely. At times I use different icon's.
It depends, their in my tablet so I use them some are really quite.👓 🎓 💄 💼 👜 👒 👙.. See what I mean.

Old 06-20-2015, 11:27 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,758,240 times
Quote:
Well folks, Above average bear and Bilmin were absolutely right, I got screwed over big time, two months in , the rent started coming late, four months in , it started coming in sporadically, by year's end I had started sending him notices of intent to evict, January we started the process , so far we've been in court four times, and the eviction is scheduled for next month, dude hasn't paid a dime in ten months, and even after the eviction I still have to keep his **** for another 30 days, then I have to move it at my expense to a storage facility. I can't even go after him for the money owed because the building was built pre C of O and idiot that I am, I decided to be all 'legalise it' and crap, and because I didn't have an official C of O , my lawyer says I can't get the money, which would be fine if he would just git, unfortunately it's a huge studio at below market, he keeps complaining that he's been looking and can't find anything like it, of course not *******, I thought I was being nice by knocking hundreds of bucks off the price, the irony is, the two jobs he claimed he had vaporised , then he claims he started working again,and seemed puzzled that I wouldn't take his money after the eviction was scheduled, he even had housing call me with an offer to cover some of his back rent, I asked the housing guy, 'so you pay me four months rent now, and next month he can't come up with the rent again, and I'm supposed to go through this again ?' housing guy '....(crickets)...' Meanwhile the guarantor turned out to be one of those pathetic jailbird groupies, three months in she bailed, reportedly after she caught him with some young chicks, sent me a letter from another state basically saying deuces.Yeah, the whole baptist minister shtick only lasted long enough for the parole board to stamp his parole approval, the parole officer was replaced by someone else who said they don't concern themselves with civil matters .We had a month to month lease and he's still in the apartment almost a year after he stopped paying, so now I'm screening tenants for the other apartment pending his eviction and guess what, my give a damn is broken, I'm asking upfront what is your income , why are you moving, will you consent to a background and credit check? and jettisoning the ones that don't make the cut before I even agree to show the apartment. Boy have I learned my lesson.
For your next tenant make sure they have a FICO score of 700 or above. Try to get the last 2 landlords numbers and call them to vouch for your prospective tenant. Also try to get non native NYers. Europeans and Mid Westerners are great. Both tend to be less litigious and pay on time.
I won't mention your handles, and you guys know who you are, you Dudes should all be ashamed of yourselves for giving the OP the advice that you did in the beginning of the thread.
Good luck OP.

Old 06-21-2015, 06:52 AM

103 posts, read 226,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
For your next tenant make sure they have a FICO score of 700 or above. Try to get the last 2 landlords numbers and call them to vouch for your prospective tenant. Also try to get non native NYers. Europeans and Mid Westerners are great. Both tend to be less litigious and pay on time.
I won't mention your handles, and you guys know who you are, you Dudes should all be ashamed of yourselves for giving the OP the advice that you did in the beginning of the thread.
Good luck OP.
LOL, Thanks Above Average Bear, you know what they say- good decisions come from experience which comes from bad decisions. I got the experience all right, this ****** put me in a world of pain financially. Right now I'm just gritting my teeth and letting the process play out, my only consolation is that when he's sitting in a shelter or a tiny cupboard of a room, he'll look back to what he had and sigh. It's funny but going through the current load of applicants and asking the right questions means I'm knocking off a whole lot of misery from jump, one said he and his wife already lived in the neighborhood,(no thank you), at least six didn't call back after hearing that I'm doing credit and back ground checks on every one to go on the lease, (so much for claims of incomes above 60K moving to get a new job), one claimed to be earning 26K/mo, I guess he thought he could always claim later that he meant per annum,( sorry bub, if you already start the process by lying,I already know it won't end well), a lot of claims of families moving out of mom's house, I felt bad ,but the place is a studio, and I have a feeling some of the 'moms' are landlords like myself that have learned the hard way. So here I am poorer but a whooole lot wiser.I'd rather have the place sit empty than go through the hell that is an eviction process in NYC

Old 06-21-2015, 11:04 AM

8,105 posts, read 6,758,240 times
Quote:
LOL, Thanks Above Average Bear, you know what they say- good decisions come from experience which comes from bad decisions. I got the experience all right, this ****** put me in a world of pain financially. Right now I'm just gritting my teeth and letting the process play out, my only consolation is that when he's sitting in a shelter or a tiny cupboard of a room, he'll look back to what he had and sigh. It's funny but going through the current load of applicants and asking the right questions means I'm knocking off a whole lot of misery from jump, one said he and his wife already lived in the neighborhood,(no thank you), at least six didn't call back after hearing that I'm doing credit and back ground checks on every one to go on the lease, (so much for claims of incomes above 60K moving to get a new job), one claimed to be earning 26K/mo, I guess he thought he could always claim later that he meant per annum,( sorry bub, if you already start the process by lying,I already know it won't end well), a lot of claims of families moving out of mom's house, I felt bad ,but the place is a studio, and I have a feeling some of the 'moms' are landlords like myself that have learned the hard way. So here I am poorer but a whooole lot wiser.I'd rather have the place sit empty than go through the hell that is an eviction process in NYC
I understand that you are 5 months into the eviction of this dirtbag. However you might see if he is open to some cash to hasten his move. Think about how much to offer by calculating how much lost income is hemoraging from the dead space the he is occupying. My understanding is that the court process takes a minimum of 6 months to complete.

Old 06-21-2015, 02:07 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,697,478 times
ask for a certificate of good conduct from NY state. if he can produce one you will be OK!! (just being facetious here)

Old 06-21-2015, 04:06 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,934,347 times
Quote:
I understand that you are 5 months into the eviction of this dirtbag. However you might see if he is open to some cash to hasten his move. Think about how much to offer by calculating how much lost income is hemoraging from the dead space the he is occupying. My understanding is that the court process takes a minimum of 6 months to complete.
I would have offered cash long ago.

Old 06-21-2015, 04:49 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,242,493 times
This thread should be a sticky.

There have been a couple of threads here about the tenants from hell. Whoever thinks that buying real estate and being a landlord is easy money is smoking dope.

OP, have you considered selling the house and getting out of landlording?

Old 06-21-2015, 05:26 PM

103 posts, read 226,330 times
Quote:
I wouldn't give him the satisfaction,maybe months ago before we started this whole spiral, but one of the problems is even if I gave him money then,he would still have problems , who would rent to an ex-lifer, with no credit, or let me correct that, most landlord's had more sense than I showed with my soft headed naivete,as far as I'm concerned the damage is already done, he's sat in the apartment rent free for almost a year worse case scenario he'll perch for another couple of months and then he'll have to leave one way or the other , I'm pretty much resigned to it, besides , he has money, he keeps talking about settlements from a case that he had, plus he lived rent free, and he claims he has a building that he owns that was fraudulently stolen from him while he was locked up, he has flashed a whole wad of hundreds at me during one of his attempts to convince me to let him stay,(he apparently comes from a family of con artists and jail birds, I know, I know, stuff I know now that I wish I had known then) , and his being there rent free is still better than having a vacant building and having to pay thousands more in insurance. So in the meantime I'm making the best of a bad situation, While he's there I am seizing the opportunity to review potential tenants and boy, it's a jungle out there, most of the applicants as I mentioned , drop out once they hear about credit /background checks, and one said she earned 1200/month and had a credit score of 521, I'm still puzzled as to how she expected to manage if her rent was more than 80% of her income

Old 06-21-2015, 05:31 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,934,347 times
Quote:
I wouldn't give him the satisfaction,maybe months ago before we started this whole spiral, but one of the problems is even if I gave him money then,he would still have problems , who would rent to an ex-lifer, with no credit, or let me correct that, most landlord's had more sense than I showed with my soft headed naivete,as far as I'm concerned the damage is already done, he's sat in the apartment rent free for almost a year worse case scenario he'll perch for another couple of months and then he'll have to leave one way or the other
You seem confused. Offering cash will usually save money and definitely time.

You offer him money to leave - his problems are therefore no longer your problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City