Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 08:44 AM

12 posts, read 29,280 times

Advertisements

I realize that it is a little silly for me to think this far in advance, but my desire to make everything as good as possible for my family forces me to plan and budget like a madman.

We have recently been leased an apartment under the 80/20 program and out lease has the "rent stabilization" rider attached which SEEMS to say that the apartment will go up to market rate after twenty years.

I know this rider is standard with any ordinary "rent stabilized" apartment, but does the fact that ours is an 80/20 make any difference? What will happen when the twenty years is up?!

Many thanks to those who might help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 09:47 AM

9,246 posts, read 24,071,056 times
It is not a standard clause with "any rent stabilized apartment" at all.Regular rent stabilized leases have no such automatic expiration date.

The clause means,doesn't just "seem" to say,exactly what it says.At the end of the period all tax abatements to the developer and all subsequent stabilized rents will expire and the rent will go to whatever the market rate may be in that neighborhood at the time.If you can't pay the higher rent you will have to move.

It's pretty simple really.

Just be happy you have what you have for 20 years.

Last edited by bluedog2; 01-15-2013 at 10:06 AM..

Old 01-15-2013, 10:08 AM

12 posts, read 29,280 times
Thanks so much for the prompt reply! I'm still learning, I guess. I sincerely appreciate your help.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:11 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,265,664 times
Yeah, according to the current agreement the apartment will become market rate in 20 years. However, that's a long time and anything can happen. Several "temporary" rent control and stabilization efforts have been extended well past their original intended time frame. It really depends on the nature of the city government, market trends and a host of other unpredictable factors.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:19 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,238,927 times
How old is 80/20 as a program? I would imagine this comes into play more for people moving into one of the older developments.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:34 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,074,028 times
How can you keep that income level for 20 years? It's so absurdly low

Old 01-15-2013, 11:20 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,773,062 times
Now does this apply to 20yrs after a person signs a lease or 20yrs after the building was made. Sucks for a person to think they have 20yrs but in fact its only 8 left or something like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
How can you keep that income level for 20 years? It's so absurdly low
Why would you need to go higher if rent is so low

Old 01-16-2013, 04:36 AM

1,583 posts, read 3,676,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullnyc View Post
Why would you need to go higher if rent is so low
...so say you got a raise or a new job that would disqualify you. Would you turn it down?

Old 01-16-2013, 06:43 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,238,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobage View Post
...so say you got a raise or a new job that would disqualify you. Would you turn it down?
I doubt they kick you out once your in. They probably just adjust your rent. This is assuming there is an annual recertifcation process. I don't think there is...

Old 01-16-2013, 06:49 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,063,795 times
You will NOT be tossed out of 80/20 housing because your income went up over the entry level. I seriously doubt that you will be thrown out after 20 years either.
At the 20 year point you will have a mass of tenants clamoring for the right to stay in their homes and a mass of OWNERS begging for an extension of their tax breaks. No politicians can resist an onslaught from both sides.

Good question NooYowker, how old IS the program. I've applied to many and as I can recollect it has to be near the 20 year mark or even already exceeded it. I got very close but never succeeded.

Quote:
We have recently been leased an apartment under the 80/20 program and out lease has the "rent stabilization" rider attached which SEEMS to say that the apartment will go up to market rate after twenty years.
Harry, I haven't seeen the exact wording, but it COULD seem to say that after 20 years the apartments enters rent stabilization? Does that sound logical? Once when I was being interviewed I asked what determines rent increases. I was told it is the same as the rent-stabilization rate. I then said "So these are rent stabilized apartments?" She said "NO"...go figger. (If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, etc.)

Owners have left Mitchell Lama but those in the apartment at the time of conversion have stayed on as rent stabilized tenants...80/20 could work the same way.

But my overarching recommendation must be: DON'T LOOK A GIFT HORSE IN THE MOUTH...take the apartment and worry about it later. It is a rare opportunity that most do not get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City