Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 07:01 AM

10 posts, read 27,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
So is your budget really 430K? I can't imagine you not being able to find a two bedroom for less than that. Are these areas way more expensive than I thought?
This is what we've found so far with a max budget of 430K:
- LIC: even 1BR not possible
- Forest Hills: 1BR barely possible
- Astoria: only 1BR possible that are too far away from subway (N train doesn't really work for us anyway)
- Sunnyside: 1BR possible, 2BR at the boundary of our max budget (but these 2BRs are not that spacious)
- Woodside, Rego Park: 2BR at the boundary
- Jackson Heights, Elmhurst: 2BR possible

Note that we're looking for a condo. Also, we want to be below 430K, if possible. So it's going to be a balance between price, commute time, and square feet.

We're talking to an agent to see some of the apartments in this weekend.

Thanks, everyone.

Last edited by tristanisolde; 03-07-2014 at 07:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 08:20 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,911,237 times
Sunnyside and Forest Hills are MUCH nicer neighborhoods than Jackson heights.
JH is heavily populated by immigrants from the indian subcontinent, Mexico/Central America and Fillipinos.
And while FH & SS have immigrants as most NYC neighborhoods do, they are not the dominant population in those neighborhoods.
Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against immigrants, but after living for 1yr in Sunset park, I realized that I prefer not to live in neighborhoods with strong ethnic enclaves.

But to each his own.

Out of those 3 neighborhoods I like Forest Hills the most.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:25 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,156,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
JH is heavily populated by immigrants from the indian subcontinent, Mexico/Central America and Fillipinos.
And while FH & SS have immigrants as most NYC neighborhoods do, they are not the dominant population in those neighborhoods. And don't get me wrong, I have nothing against immigrants, but after living for 1yr in Sunset park I realize that I prefer not to live in neighborhoods with strong ethnic enclaves.

But to each his own.

Out of those 3 neighborhoods I live Forest Hills the most.
I should have known that this thread would bring you, the "Jackson Heights hater" out of the woodwork. It always does.

Maybe you could explain why plenty of people are eager to spend in the vicinity of $400,000 to $850,000 for the 2+ bedroom coop apartments in Jackson Heights garden buildings if the neighborhood sucks so much. Actually, never mind, you'll just go on another rant.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:57 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,911,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I should have known that this thread would bring you, the "Jackson Heights hater" out of the woodwork. It always does.

Maybe you could explain why plenty of people are eager to spend in the vicinity of $400,000 to $850,000 for the 2+ bedroom coop apartments in Jackson Heights garden buildings if the neighborhood sucks so much. Actually, never mind, you'll just go on another rant.
Don't be hating on a honest opinion Henna.

I can't explain why somebody with a working brain would pay 850k for a 2br coop apt in JH. I wish I could, but I can't.
RE prices, seem ridiculously inflated all over the city, so I don't think this a phenomenon exclusive to JH, anyway.

And believe it or not, I don't hate Jackson heights. I actually enjoy my Indian spices and curries very much.
I make trips to JH at least once a month to get my spicy fix.

Old 03-07-2014, 12:56 PM

251 posts, read 342,236 times
Forest Hills is an ideal neighborhood to raise a child. Since you are buying, it would make sense to get a neighborhood with good schools, and Forest Hills has plenty of those.

I can't speak to the noise level near the LIRR. Could you visit the apartment again and see for yourself? The trains run every 20 minutes I think so you should be able to see if you hear anything.

There aren't that many condos in Forest Hills so you are limited in your search there. BUT FH is full of co-ops many who have full-service condo facilities (pool, gym, etc). With $430K, you can easily get a 2 BR in a nice Co-op. And rules about subletting vary from co-op to co-op. Some don't even require board approval for buying.

Old 03-07-2014, 01:29 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,251,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tristanisolde View Post
This is what we've found so far with a max budget of 430K:
- LIC: even 1BR not possible
- Forest Hills: 1BR barely possible
- Astoria: only 1BR possible that are too far away from subway (N train doesn't really work for us anyway)
- Sunnyside: 1BR possible, 2BR at the boundary of our max budget (but these 2BRs are not that spacious)
- Woodside, Rego Park: 2BR at the boundary
- Jackson Heights, Elmhurst: 2BR possible

Note that we're looking for a condo. Also, we want to be below 430K, if possible. So it's going to be a balance between price, commute time, and square feet.

We're talking to an agent to see some of the apartments in this weekend.

Thanks, everyone.
Desirability is the difference in prices between neighborhoods. LIC has changed significantly for the better over the past 10 years and there are luxury buildings being constructed constantly so you're not even going to find a studio. There isn't a whole lot to do here as far as shopping but there's good restaurants and bars and you're 1-2 stops from being in Manhattan, depending on which train you take. If you have to stay within your budget, which is actually quite decent, you'll have to stick to the last 3 choices on your list.

Old 03-07-2014, 01:36 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,748,633 times
JH is too noisy and too many apt complex and Woodside has too much train and airplane noises.

Been to all these area too much, FH is expensive but good urban/suburb mix. Take my dogs out walking all the time on Austin St lots of scenery and not too much drama like JH has with the police sirens and double parkers honking.

Old 03-07-2014, 02:28 PM

912 posts, read 1,133,807 times
The pre-war condos in JH are some of the most beautiful apartments you'll find in Queens. However, I do think they're too pricey for the neighborhood. JH is slowly changing and cleaning up (the BID is doing a lot to improve the classiness of the neighborhood)but that change will continue at a small pace. Take a walk around JH, get a feel for the area and if its to your liking, go for the 1br in JH. Otherwise, I prefer FH over SS. Austin St is simply better than anything SS can offer.

Old 03-07-2014, 03:14 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,329,185 times
What about Kew Gardens or even Briarwood?

Old 03-07-2014, 03:19 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,329,185 times
Quote:
And while FH & SS have immigrants as most NYC neighborhoods do, they are not the dominant population in those neighborhoods.
Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against immigrants, but after living for 1yr in Sunset park, I realized that I prefer not to live in neighborhoods with strong ethnic enclaves.

But to each his own.

Out of those 3 neighborhoods I like Forest Hills the most.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post

Quote:
Don't be hating on a honest opinion Henna.

I can't explain why somebody with a working brain would pay 850k for a 2br coop apt in JH. I wish I could, but I can't.
RE prices, seem ridiculously inflated all over the city, so I don't think this a phenomenon exclusive to JH, anyway.

And believe it or not, I don't hate Jackson heights. I actually enjoy my Indian spices and curries very much.
I make trips to JH at least once a month to get my spicy fix.
Considering that JH is the most densely populated NYC neighborhood outside of Manhattan, something must be attracting residents there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: