Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 03:36 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,723,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Considering that JH is the most densely populated NYC neighborhood outside of Manhattan, something must be attracting residents there.
What statistics are you basing that on? I would think there are plenty of Brooklyn neighborhoods that are vastly more dense
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 04:05 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,317,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
What statistics are you basing that on? I would think there are plenty of Brooklyn neighborhoods that are vastly more dense
New York Population Density Zip Code Rank

Followed by a couple zip codes in the Bronx. Think Flatbush would be the most dense part in Brooklyn. Does help that JH doesn't have very much park land.

Old 03-07-2014, 05:36 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,907,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Considering that JH is the most densely populated NYC neighborhood outside of Manhattan, something must be attracting residents there.
Considering the lack of high rises in that neighborhood it might also mean that they're living the way they do back home in Mumbai and Mexico city. 5 to a 1br.

I don't care either way. And I'm not sure such a high density is something desirable for the OPs family.

Old 03-07-2014, 05:42 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
Don't be hating on a honest opinion Henna.

I can't explain why somebody with a working brain would pay 850k for a 2br coop apt in JH. I wish I could, but I can't.
RE prices, seem ridiculously inflated all over the city, so I don't think this a phenomenon exclusive to JH, anyway.

And believe it or not, I don't hate Jackson heights. I actually enjoy my Indian spices and curries very much.
I make trips to JH at least once a month to get my spicy fix.
You've admitted in other threads on this topic that you've only been to two blocks in the entire huge neighborhood -- and those two blocks are apparently where you've been buying your ethnic groceries. This area where you go to get your groceries IS unattractive and crowded. I would never live on that street or the one next to it. And anyone with half a brain could figure out that there's a very large historic district where all the beautiful coops are. A historic district THAT YOU'VE NEVER BEEN TO.

I'm not the one hating -- you are. It's odd that you are so vociferous in your disdain for immigrants since you're an immigrant yourself.

Old 03-07-2014, 06:08 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,907,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
You've admitted in other threads on this topic that you've only been to two blocks in the entire huge neighborhood -- and those two blocks are apparently where you've been buying your ethnic groceries. This area where you go to get your groceries IS unattractive and crowded. I would never live on that street or the one next to it. And anyone with half a brain could figure out that there's a very large historic district where all the beautiful coops are. A historic district THAT YOU'VE NEVER BEEN TO.

I'm not the one hating -- you are. It's odd that you are so vociferous in your disdain for immigrants since you're an immigrant yourself.
The bolded part is an outright lie.
I challenge you to find the quote where I said that.
det. Henna you seem to be assuming too much. I've been all over JH. I bike and drive there as I said at least once a month. I've walked that neighborhood off Roosevelt ave countless times.
You seem to be taking any unfavorable opinion about JH very personal.
Take it down a notch Henna. It's not about you.

Last edited by likeminas; 03-07-2014 at 06:18 PM..

Old 03-07-2014, 06:09 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,317,052 times
Quote:
Considering the lack of high rises in that neighborhood it might also mean that they're living the way they do back home in Mumbai and Mexico city. 5 to a 1br.

I don't care either way. And I'm not sure such a high density is something desirable for the OPs family.
I don't necessarily think so. I'm sure you'll see some overcrowding in apartments, but overall I think it has to do with the consistency of apartment building after apartment building, block by block. Most other outerboro neighborhoods have a greater mix of rowhouses and detached houses within.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:12 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
Quote:
The bolded part is an outright lie.
I challenge you to find the quote where I said that.
det. Henna you seem to be assuming too much. I've been all over JH. I bike and drive there as I said at least once a month. I've walked that neighborhood off Roosevelt ave countless times.
You seem to be taking any unfavorable opinion about JH very personal.
Take it down a notch Henna. It's not about you.
You say you've "walked that neighborhood off Roosevelt ave countless times" -- but if you had actually been to the historic district, you'd know that it's not "the neighborhood off Roosevelt". The majority of the historic district is quite a distance from Roosevelt, and is mostly between 34th and 37th Avenues, in many cases a good 5-10 minutes walk from Roosevelt.

Perhaps I am taking it personally when you seem to sniff out every thread that mentions this neighborhood and mention how disgusting you think it is. Obviously you've had quite an effect on people reading this forum because even the OP was hesitant to consider it because of the trashing that you and some other people have done on this forum.

I am in no way saying this neighborhood is the right one for everyone who might be considering it. I myself would be happier living in Astoria because I prefer the amenities and the good gyms. But for the price point Jackson Heights offers and the beautiful, spacious garden apartments and quite nice community, it is the right place for some. And people should be allowed to know that it could be a very good viable option for them, and that many people who live in Jackson Heights wouldn't even want to live elsewhere due to the charm they find in it.

I doubt many JH residents are enamored of Roosevelt Ave, or those few dirty and unattractive streets where you buy your Indian spices. However, there is a wealth of beauty and charm (for those who choose to learn about it) in the rest of the neighborhood. No one I know even spends any time on Roosevelt Ave, with the exception of entering and exiting the subway, if they take it at 74th St. There is hardly any need to spend time on Roosevelt, when the commercial heart of the neighborhood is on 37th Ave and the residential heart even further north.

I guess if my knowledge of Astoria consisted almost entirely of the Astoria housing projects, and every time someone mentioned Astoria, I jumped on and stated how unsafe and gross Astoria is because of all my experiences walking around "Astoria" I should expect to be called out on that.

Last edited by Henna; 03-07-2014 at 08:36 PM..

Old 03-08-2014, 12:19 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tristanisolde View Post
This is what we've found so far with a max budget of 430K:
- LIC: even 1BR not possible
- Forest Hills: 1BR barely possible
- Astoria: only 1BR possible that are too far away from subway (N train doesn't really work for us anyway)
- Sunnyside: 1BR possible, 2BR at the boundary of our max budget (but these 2BRs are not that spacious)
- Woodside, Rego Park: 2BR at the boundary
- Jackson Heights, Elmhurst: 2BR possible

Note that we're looking for a condo. Also, we want to be below 430K, if possible. So it's going to be a balance between price, commute time, and square feet.

We're talking to an agent to see some of the apartments in this weekend.

Thanks, everyone.
That's silly. You can find a 2 bedroom in Forest Hills on your budget.

I found this one in less than a minute:

10615 Queens Boulevard #5R, Forest Hills NY - Trulia

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-08-2014, 03:04 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post

OP seems to want a condo only. Hard to find compared to coops.

Old 03-08-2014, 03:04 PM

10 posts, read 27,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post

That one looks like a co-op, not a condo.

We visited Forest Hills and Jackson Heights today. We liked FH area more than JH. However, the condo in JH was in a better shape than in FH and also a lot cheaper. Difficult decision to make..

Last edited by tristanisolde; 03-08-2014 at 03:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: