Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2014, 04:10 PM

898 posts, read 1,219,775 times

Advertisements

i agree about the genes thing you mentioned. yes they help shape a foundation but i know plenty of people who were/are smart but their behavior choices have put them into a bad position in life. some have stopped school, some became either petty or white collar criminals, while others prospered. ultimately, it was choice. everytime i bring this up, people tell me genetics, destiny, god (that's a personal favorite for many i noticed), or luck.

yes all of these things have something to do with it but to discount choice is to discount the ultimate reason why someone makes it and someone doesn't. if those kenyans enjoyed some heroin and ganja, they would be nowhere. if samoans did not like american style football (NFL), they wouldn't work their skills and talents to make it there.

i see a lot of jews in banking or media. i also see a lot who do other things or do nothing. some are successful while others are failures. this is true for all populations.

race and luck and etc. matter so much but it is always choice. jay z and 50 cent could have also used race/absent of a dad but they didn't. they instead used the power of CHOICE. that's the difference between those who complain about unfairness in america and those who do not. racism will be there in all societies. that or nepotism or anything else but our choices hold the final card in the deck that life deals us at birth. in fact, try to get ahead in any other continent and you will soon find out why everyone runs to america. racism and all that other garbage is like 1000 times worse in a huge majority of the world's countries.

let me close with this:

barack HUSSEIN obama.

yeah, a black guy with no father and an islamic middle name was elected not once but TWICE to be president of a country that is historically white. did he run around citing "few blacks and hispanics have become president" or did he make choices and work hard to move ahead instead? i realize it has to do with timing (would not have happened in prior generations) as well as other factors (the bush trillion dollar iraq war thing along with the 2009 stock market crash and housing bubble blowing up) but he could easily have complained over and over and asked for handouts yet he didn't.

Last edited by Hairy Guy; 03-29-2014 at 04:18 PM..

Old 03-29-2014, 07:21 PM

75 posts, read 112,163 times
Hopefully we get some affirmative action in the meritocrasy based Stuyvesant and other schools to ensure they also succumb to mediocrity and the intentional dumbing down of America.

Eurasians might genetically be intellectually more gifted due to the problem solving skills needed to survive over thousands of years in the harsher climates of the area that ranges from France to China, no? Understand?

Take a look at IQ and the Wealth Of Nations. Read Charles Murray's work. Go on sites like Taki's Mag and Vdare as well.

Old 03-29-2014, 08:03 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,150,243 times
Children follow their parents lead - their training. If no one is giving them any training, then they can expect to not acheive.

I personally have seen a few times over the years parents on TV complaining that their child was held back, and not receiving a 'social promotion'. I dont get why they are upset, and pushing for a grade promotion based on the childs age, rather than the childs comprehension of the material they were supposed to learn to earn an academic promotion. Fine, if I dont get it in second grade, hold me back until I do get it - dont push me along anyway. Well, the poor child might be embarassed. Okay, maybe that embarassment early will get them to apply themselves to the material they are supposed to be learning, and possibly actually lead to them skipping a grade, and catching up with their peers.

I've read wonderful stories of homeless crack babies growing up and graduating college, and going on to lead relatively normal lives. Surely, if a homeless crack baby can achieve this success academicly, any child should be able to - it just may take longer, as not every child develops either mentally or physically at the same pace.

If parents are only focused on teaching their child how to curse, and act like a thug - wouldnt you think that baby will grow to be a cursing thug?

I have a lot of respect for Michelle Obama. She's not putting career before her children when she doesnt have to, preferring to be more of a stay at home mom, and bringing the concept of 'caring for your off-spring' to the public light. She's also quoted as telling all Americans about how their children are focusing on being a baller or rapper, rather than the next Einstein. A message like that is long overdue. Kudos, Michelle!

Affirmative action does exist - but an exceptional college wont be exceptional for long if they start passing over people who learned the right material for people who show up with their 'social diploma'.

I also agree that what goes on in a person's home is their business. Like Michael Jackson said, look at the man in the mirror if you want to see an effective change.

Old 03-29-2014, 08:08 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,990,209 times
I think the mods should just lock this thread up. The OP was trolling anyway, and nothing productive is really going to come out of this so why even bother with this? All sides have made their cases, and it's time to move on.

Old 03-29-2014, 08:30 PM

I an agree that 43 pages is a bit much for anyone to bother to read, skimming at best, but I dont see a problem with the topic at all. It's 'Current Events' afterall. *shrugs*

Old 03-29-2014, 08:31 PM

22 posts, read 24,660 times
Maybe because many blacks and hispanics don't care about academics.

Old 03-29-2014, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris from Albany View Post
Maybe because many blacks and hispanics don't care about academics.
Im thinking Albany is no different than NYC when it comes to having 'social promotions'. *giggles and runs*

Old 03-29-2014, 08:40 PM

5,146 posts, read 4,980,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post

Affirmative action does exist - but an exceptional college wont be exceptional for long if they start passing over people who learned the right material for people who show up with their 'social diploma'.

I also agree that what goes on in a person's home is their business. Like Michael Jackson said, look at the man in the mirror if you want to see an effective change.

I heard that the Catholic school system in NYC used to be big and provided quality education a generation ago. And today it is struggling financially and their reputation in terms of quality of education is mediocre at best. The influx of students from less supportive families may have something to do with it. I am sure that Administrators of top colleges are intelligent enough to recognize similar endangering consequences if they fully conform to AA. They will unlikely turn away top students to their competitors. They may just adopt AA to a small extent to show that they "care". A dozen C students like GWB won't matter too much.

Old 03-29-2014, 08:41 PM

22 posts, read 24,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy Guy View Post
i agree about the genes thing you mentioned. yes they help shape a foundation but i know plenty of people who were/are smart but their behavior choices have put them into a bad position in life. some have stopped school, some became either petty or white collar criminals, while others prospered. ultimately, it was choice. everytime i bring this up, people tell me genetics, destiny, god (that's a personal favorite for many i noticed), or luck.

yes all of these things have something to do with it but to discount choice is to discount the ultimate reason why someone makes it and someone doesn't. if those kenyans enjoyed some heroin and ganja, they would be nowhere. if samoans did not like american style football (NFL), they wouldn't work their skills and talents to make it there.

i see a lot of jews in banking or media. i also see a lot who do other things or do nothing. some are successful while others are failures. this is true for all populations.

race and luck and etc. matter so much but it is always choice. jay z and 50 cent could have also used race/absent of a dad but they didn't. they instead used the power of CHOICE. that's the difference between those who complain about unfairness in america and those who do not. racism will be there in all societies. that or nepotism or anything else but our choices hold the final card in the deck that life deals us at birth. in fact, try to get ahead in any other continent and you will soon find out why everyone runs to america. racism and all that other garbage is like 1000 times worse in a huge majority of the world's countries.

let me close with this:

barack HUSSEIN obama.

yeah, a black guy with no father and an islamic middle name was elected not once but TWICE to be president of a country that is historically white. did he run around citing "few blacks and hispanics have become president" or did he make choices and work hard to move ahead instead? i realize it has to do with timing (would not have happened in prior generations) as well as other factors (the bush trillion dollar iraq war thing along with the 2009 stock market crash and housing bubble blowing up) but he could easily have complained over and over and asked for handouts yet he didn't.
The only color that matters in modern America is green. No truly intelligent person really cares what race you are. Being from Albany kids white back and brown grew up with no opportunities so we had to make our own. White kids were getting into as much trouble as black kids up here.

Old 03-29-2014, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
I heard that the Catholic school system in NYC used to be big and provided quality education a generation ago. And today it is struggling financially and their reputation in terms of quality of education is mediocre at best. The influx of students from less supportive families may have something to do with it. I am sure that Administrators of top colleges are intelligent enough to recognize similar endangering consequences if they fully conform to AA. They will unlikely turn away top students to their competitors. They may just adopt AA to a small extent to show that they "care". A dozen C students like GWB won't matter too much.
I once worked with a Muslim woman who sent her kids to Catholic School. I asked her why. She said because the Nuns wont take the crap off of the kids the way the Public School teachers have too. Seemed like a solid answer to me. *shrugs*

I also agree that the education was not the very best available considering the cost - then again, under-privileged kids got deals as well on the cost. And, most hispanics are good practicing Catholics last I checked. Even the Pope is Hispanic.

Any school, like William and Mary in Williamsburg, VA that receives Federal Funding has AA. William and Mary is considered a public Ivy-league institution.

There is nothing to say the children that eventually go to Harvard have had any better training or parent envolvement than any poor child has had. My only criticism of Affirmative Action as it stands based on color, is that it segregates poor white children, like those hopeless kids in Appalachia who are still waiting to get electricity and plumbing in their homes. The one's the trolls refer to as 'trailer park trash'.

A piece of paper doesnt show intelligence, afterall, no matter who printed it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City