Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2014, 08:52 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,757,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
I remember studying pretty hard in the summer as a child while many of my neighbor's kids my age went to play all summer or went to camp. When fall hits, the curriculum was almost too easy for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
So how much has that helped you in life of today? Is it worth of it? If you enjoyed studying more than going camping, that is another story.
You don't have to study all summer to achieve the same effect. You just need to be a week ahead in terms of exposure. So a week before school starts, make sure you already have the text book, and browse through the materials that will be covered, do some random exercises, etc.. It'll be hard and you won't really get it, but when the teacher starts talking about it it'll be familiar to you and you'll be surprised just how fast you can learn the material. Then you just need to be browsing ahead throughout the year. If you're trying to learn something cold in the classroom you'll get stuck on small things and important things will just fly over your head then it's catch up from there

Old 03-13-2014, 08:57 AM

5,170 posts, read 5,004,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
You don't have to study all summer to achieve the same effect. You just need to be a week ahead in terms of exposure. So a week before school starts, make sure you already have the text book, and browse through the materials that will be covered, do some random exercises, etc.. It'll be hard and you won't really get it, but when the teacher starts talking about it it'll be familiar to you and you'll be surprised just how fast you can learn the material. Then you just need to be browsing ahead throughout the year. If you're trying to learn something cold in the classroom you'll get stuck on small things and important things will just fly over your head then it's catch up from there
preview and review, that is the most efficient method of studying imo, too.

Old 03-13-2014, 09:02 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,052,694 times
Quote:
Are people here aware that in many foreign nations (def in asia this is true) that math levels are ahead of USA? When immigrants come here, its too easy.

For Asians, summer school or should I say enrichment schools are pretty popular in nyc. My friend who is Asian owns such a school and makes boat loads of $$$. He hire nyc teachers to teach kids all the summer. Many kids continue to go after school as well throughout the year.

I remember studying pretty hard in the summer as a child while many of my neighbor's kids my age went to play all summer or went to camp. When fall hits, the curriculum was almost too easy for me.
I use to tutor rich kids in their SAT/ACT math, plus other subjects in Manhasset a while back and always thought about opening one of those tutoring centers. I think the hardest part is managing expectations of the parents. Somehow every parent thinks their little Jimmy/Jane is gonna do great just because they have the extra tutoring sessions.

I think when my son reaches school age where I don't need a nanny anymore I'd put him into the after school programs too. But the primary purpose is for baby sitting since both me (other than days like this...) and my wife works. However I'd definitely opt for the summer camp over additional studying during the summers.

Also from my personal experience tutoring, the kids that are above average in terms of their ability to learn and think don't get as much out of those tutoring sessions as other kids. The law of diminishing really holds true. And this is where the educated parent can help, the key is to challenge your kids beyond school material which in this country is really lacking, I remember learning the same thing in school from 2 grade all the way up to 5/6 grade. I can tell you at least in the tutoring center that I worked in they couldn't do this in math at least. However the vocab/reading comprehension exercises were pretty good.

Old 03-13-2014, 09:05 AM

8,710 posts, read 11,113,089 times
Quote:
So how much has that helped you in life of today? Is it worth of it? If you enjoyed studying more than going camping, that is another story.
I've always felt like an average student among really smart kids. At times, it was pretty tough.

At the end, I have more options career wise which was a real bonus. I went to top nyc business school for undergrad on a near full scholarship. Then went on to a top MBA school in nyc, then my CFA. Its not hard to figure out where I went. Anyway, one thing I am certain is the amount of Asians students I went with from middle school to grad school. There is no doubt a disproportionate amount of Asians in my classes. In undergrad, I recall close to 50% of finance/accounting majors were Asian.....its kind of mind blowing.

Old 03-13-2014, 09:10 AM

8,710 posts, read 11,113,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
I use to tutor rich kids in their SAT/ACT math, plus other subjects in Manhasset a while back and always thought about opening one of those tutoring centers. I think the hardest part is managing expectations of the parents. Somehow every parent thinks their little Jimmy/Jane is gonna do great just because they have the extra tutoring sessions.
There are a few tutoring schools in Manhasset off the top of my head. There are quite a lot in flushing if anyone really takes a walk around there.

One thing I find interesting is the amount of stay at home mom's in my area of Manhasset. Some gave up their high powered career to stay home. I can't deny this may have some impact on their children's educational needs in the long term.

Old 03-13-2014, 09:30 AM

260 posts, read 451,679 times
Quote:
There are a few tutoring schools in Manhasset off the top of my head. There are quite a lot in flushing if anyone really takes a walk around there.

One thing I find interesting is the amount of stay at home mom's in my area of Manhasset. Some gave up their high powered career to stay home. I can't deny this may have some impact on their children's educational needs in the long term.
Funny you raise this because I'm hustling now to bank my bonuses and invest wisely to eventually leave my high powered career in a few years once my son is in school. I can always do side work that allows me flexibility to be home and help my kids with their homework and studies. I'm one that happens to believe this makes a world of difference....wish I had known I would feel this way before killing myself to get through business school but that's a different topic.

Old 03-13-2014, 09:31 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,052,694 times
Quote:

There are a lot in most Asian neighborhoods. I'd have to assume that it's much easier to open one in FLushing than in Manhasset. In Flushing you're mostly be dealing with ignorant immigrant parents who have no clue what's taught in school, and how things work other than 100 ok, 80 bad. Parents in Manhasset because of their education background or even if they're not educated they're probably tough successful small business owners, have higher expectations. They want the equivalent of attribution reports (since you're in finance). So there's a lot more administrative overhead which increases cost.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:28 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,421,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
If it makes any of you asian haters out there feel any better...

I don't hate asians or anybody for that matter.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:37 AM

25,556 posts, read 24,029,661 times
Quote:
True. The performance of asian kids in america is no good proxy of how overall asian kids perform back in asia. The immigrant status and the lack of social backup for these asian kids and probably all other kids of immigrant parents are big drives in motivating them to work extra hard to get established in this country. I know first hand that there are more lazy and failing kids back in asia proportion wise. The success of the asian kids is largely attributable to their higher level of motivation to begin with and the pressure to make it here in the US.
Of course, that is no excuse for black/hispanic kids as a group to lag behind by so much. I think the communities should work together to fill the gap for their own benefit.
I'm Black and I care little or nothing about how Black kids do as a group. If they aren't my children I'm not responsible. It's really up to individual people how they want to live or manage their lives. I have enough issues in my life, so it's not my place to tell other people what to do with their lives.

Excelling academically doesn't make you a good/nice person, nor does poor academic performance make you a bad/evil/worthless person.

I graduated from one of the top universities in the country, and I'd say I'm a bit of a jerk and I doubt my sanity. Attending a top school is not the be all and end all in life.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:52 AM

25,556 posts, read 24,029,661 times
Quote:
Math prodigy of some sort...obviously not every is.

What I did say was above a few levels. I will throw an example of my personal experience. I took AP calculus in my senior year in high school in nyc. Some of the recent immigrants in my class was in their junior year in high school in my class. 2-3 students as I recall was a sophomore! They breezed through it...math genius? Some could be but most seemed to be just more ahead
Ah. There are US schools where people have had calculus as sophomores and even a few as freshman. This isn't the average public school, but among the best private schools and certain specialized public schools you do indeed have pretty advanced instruction. I can't speak for the differences between schools in other countries, but they do exist in varying forms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.