Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2014, 10:10 AM

5,123 posts, read 4,972,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
There is no race that's majority athletic looking people. Genetics are only a part of it. To become an athlete not only do you need the body you need to undergo extensive physically training for years and you have to be good at it AND you have to like it.

It's the rare person in any race who is talented enough to become a professional sports player.
you completely missed the point and now directed the discussion towards unrelated issues. I used indians as an example to mirror the situation of blacks/latinos are facing in education is more attributable to the cultural root than anything else. If you want changes for better, things have to start from within the communities. You may set up state of the art training facilities for the indians to improve their national performance in sports evets, but if they do not believe that sports is of any use to their life, they will remain where they are regardless how much money you pour into their sports training syatem.

as a cornell graduate yourself who openly talks down on education, it reveals an issue that if a community acts as a non believer of education, it is very hard to promote their interest and participation in it.

Old 03-27-2014, 10:12 AM

725 posts, read 805,844 times
Default Absolutely true

Quote:
Originally Posted by USDefault View Post
Kenyan Iten tribe, .06% of the global population, yet dominates long distance running globally, winning 80% of international races since 1980. Answer: genes.

American Samoa, total population 55,000, tiny island, yet hugely disproportionate number of Samoans in the NFL. Answer: genes.

Looking at sports, blacks are much more likely to dominate the running competitions which is why Bolt won the 100M twice with record times. It's because of more muscle fibers and faster muscle twitching that blacks have in the legs versus white people. The legs are also the reason why blacks so very well in basketball.

Whites on the other hand have faster muscle fiber twitching in the upper body which is why olympic weight lifters who win tend to be white (or Asian also). Same thing with QB in football or tennis.

Genes predispose people and overall groups to certain behavior and physical traits. That doesn't mean all people in that group are going to be that way. There are always exceptions and ways to adapt. But the majority of the time it is the case.

Old 03-27-2014, 10:15 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
you completely missed the point and now directed the discussion towards unrelated issues. I used indians as an example to mirror the situation of blacks/latinos are facing in education is more attributable to the cultural root than anything else. If you want changes for better, things have to start from within the communities. You may set up state of the art training facilities for the indians to improve their national performance in sports evets, but if they do not believe that sports is of any use to their life, they will remain where they are regardless how much money you pour into their sports training syatem.

as a cornell graduate yourself who openly talks down on education, it reveals an issue that if a community acts as a non believer of education, it is very hard to promote their interest and participation in it.
If you saw my post on the support Chinese have given sports in recent years, I did understand the points of your post. Yes, India could do a lot more to cultivate professional sports in India. They've already done that with their film industry.

That doesn't take away from what I said about rare talents. Being a professional level sports player is a rare talent in all races!

Old 03-27-2014, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJW001 View Post
Looking at sports, blacks are much more likely to dominate the running competitions which is why Bolt won the 100M twice with record times. It's because of more muscle fibers and faster muscle twitching that blacks have in the legs versus white people. The legs are also the reason why blacks so very well in basketball.

Whites on the other hand have faster muscle fiber twitching in the upper body which is why olympic weight lifters who win tend to be white (or Asian also). Same thing with QB in football or tennis.

Genes predispose people and overall groups to certain behavior and physical traits. That doesn't mean all people in that group are going to be that way. There are always exceptions and ways to adapt. But the majority of the time it is the case.
Blacks don't all have the same genes. Take Kevin Hart. You can't get any Blacker than him. Dude is not even 5 feet tall. What kind of basketball player do you think he would make?

Luther Vandross was a tall dude. He was also diabetic and fat.

A huge percentage of the Black population cannot play basketball professionally. The ones who are capable of doing that are rare. It's partially natural attributes, but it's also the ability to endure vigorous training. Shocker, most tall Black guys can't play professional basketball well enough to make the NBA.

Also, geneticists do not group all Blacks together. You have different ethnic groups/gene pools in Africa, and this is the same for Europe and Asia. A number of Whites have African dna, and a number of Blacks have European, Asian, Native American, or Middle Eastern dna.

So if a person who looks a certain way has a certain genetic trait, just because he appears to be of one race doesn't mean that trait necessarily came from that heritage.

Old 03-27-2014, 10:22 AM

725 posts, read 805,844 times
Default Education is a scam.

Quote:

Good that a cornell graduate talks down education. As an university graduate myself, I learned that education is just a business. For elementary school it is day care and kids get to play and learn abc's and 123s. I guess it's alright. But any higher level education is complete indoctrination and harmful to the development of kids. To pass the class one has to memorize all the information that is fed to the student, information which is picked by the teachers or administrators or state which has an agenda, then spit it back up on tests to make the teacher happy. Some say teachers should teach what to think but how to think. That's much worse. When they teach a thought process or method of analysis, then no matter what the information the result will always be the same.

Most of what is taught is subjective and unnecessary to ones future career. It would be better if there was no general college and people went to engineering school, medical school or law school or architecture school or etc. directly. The liberals arts is a complete waste and just an excuse for people who fail in real life to earn an income. Don't people realize that so much money goes to paying for college whether parents paying it or student loans that it is better not to pay for it. The reason the middle class can't get ahead is because of the high cost of education and more and more people demanding it because teachers brainwash kids and parents from an early age that its necessary. But it's not. Those jobs that require degrees don't exist anymore. Aside from professionals like doctors and lawyers and engineers, those jobs are gone. That's why you have PhDs working in Starbucks. It's better to learn a trade like plumbing or carpentry or etc. technical schools should be increased and colleges decreased. Not everyone can be a doctor or lawyer and going to college won't get people who don't do those things higher paying jobs. It's a waste.

Old 03-27-2014, 10:29 AM

1,521 posts, read 1,817,544 times
Quote:
exactly. well said.
indians are known to have lousy performance in international sports events, and in real life you rarely encounter any athletic looking indians. despite that, it would be sheer stupidity to blame them for their genetics but not their failing culture in terms of encourage and support to athletic development.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
There is no race that's majority athletic looking people. Genetics are only a part of it. To become an athlete not only do you need the body you need to undergo extensive physically training for years and you have to be good at it AND you have to like it.

It's the rare person in any race who is talented enough to become a professional sports player.
Both you guys are complete fools for thinking athletics is not based on genetics. At the highest form in competition (NBA, MBLA, Olympics, etc), you cannot even compete without being genetically gifted, it's 100% genetics and what you do with those genes through hard work, dedication, etc. to make you successful at those levels.

Old 03-27-2014, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Good that a cornell graduate talks down education. As an university graduate myself, I learned that education is just a business. For elementary school it is day care and kids get to play and learn abc's and 123s. I guess it's alright. But any higher level education is complete indoctrination and harmful to the development of kids. To pass the class one has to memorize all the information that is fed to the student, information which is picked by the teachers or administrators or state which has an agenda, then spit it back up on tests to make the teacher happy. Some say teachers should teach what to think but how to think. That's much worse. When they teach a thought process or method of analysis, then no matter what the information the result will always be the same.

Most of what is taught is subjective and unnecessary to ones future career. It would be better if there was no general college and people went to engineering school, medical school or law school or architecture school or etc. directly. The liberals arts is a complete waste and just an excuse for people who fail in real life to earn an income. Don't people realize that so much money goes to paying for college whether parents paying it or student loans that it is better not to pay for it. The reason the middle class can't get ahead is because of the high cost of education and more and more people demanding it because teachers brainwash kids and parents from an early age that its necessary. But it's not. Those jobs that require degrees don't exist anymore. Aside from professionals like doctors and lawyers and engineers, those jobs are gone. That's why you have PhDs working in Starbucks. It's better to learn a trade like plumbing or carpentry or etc. technical schools should be increased and colleges decreased. Not everyone can be a doctor or lawyer and going to college won't get people who don't do those things higher paying jobs. It's a waste.
I agree with you education can even be harmful if it saddles someone with lots of long term debt. That person if they weren't interested in academia may very well have been better off going to trade school or even just getting a job out of high school.

Where I do take issue with you is saying liberal arts is a waste. That's not entirely true, though that probably is true from some schools. Liberal arts graduates from top schools often get jobs in banking, media, government or they go on to law school or business school and go the corporate route.

The problem is if you go to a school like the New School and get a liberal arts degree from there (going seriously into debt) there's a decent enough chance you won't get any job and then you are screwed.

As for getting your phd, yes, if you get a phd from Harvard that goes a long way. If you get a phd from University of West Georgia you're a lot more likely to end up working at Starbucks. For certain degrees there are simply too many schools and too many graduates and all that has done is jack up the cost of education while leaving many people underemployed because these fields are producing more graduates than the economy can sustain.

The reasons you mention above are reasons why I say people should only purse academia IF they like it and IF they are good at it. If you aren't a good student, you still deserve the right to be able to make an honest living. Or maybe you are a good student but you just aren't interested in going that route. And that's fine as well.

Old 03-27-2014, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgr555 View Post
Both you guys are complete fools for thinking athletics is not based on genetics. At the highest form in competition (NBA, MBLA, Olympics, etc), you cannot even compete without being genetically gifted, it's 100% genetics and what you do with those genes through hard work, dedication, etc. to make you successful at those levels.

Seriously, I see what you trying to do here and it's pathetic!
Dude, you just agreed with me! You said you cannot compete without being genetically gifted (I said you had to be TALENTED/GIFTED) and you also said it's what you do with those genes through HARD WORK, DEDICATION, etc.

I repeatedly said those who had the talent/gifts also had to be able to ENDURE years of hard training. Not all gifted people have the personality or the endurance for that, though they may have the physical traits.

Do you now understand?

And yes, clearly you have to have the body for it and that is genetic. Kevin Hart is a talented comedian, but he never would have made it at basketball. He is not even 5 feet tall.

Last edited by NyWriterdude; 03-27-2014 at 10:47 AM..

Old 03-27-2014, 10:45 AM

5,123 posts, read 4,972,569 times
[quote=DJW001;34061930]Looking at sports, blacks are much more likely to dominate the running competitions which is why Bolt won the 100M twice with record times. It's because of more muscle fibers and faster muscle twitching that blacks have in the legs versus white people. The legs are also the reason why blacks so very well in basketball.

Genes predispose people and overall groups to certain behavior and physical traits. That doesn't mean all people in that group are going to be that way. There are always exceptions and ways to adapt. But the majority of the time it is the

Genes confer an individual the potential to exel at specific tasks, but the environment plays a decisive role in terms of how much one can use that potential. In the case of bolt, he certainly has got the potential, but do not forget that he underwent lengthy and effective training much more than you or I did. So you cannot just say that he is so faster than you all because of his genes. If the same bolt who put in half of his effort in training, he can still easily beat you in running, but very likely he would have been one of the many unknown fast runners without a title.

Asians in general have a lower presentation in speed/strength related sports largely due to their physical conditions related to their genetic background. But it is possible to overcome this gap with determination, support and hard work. Chinese was once known as the sick man of asian, and in the recent past they have become a major competitor of olympic medals (partly thanks to some doping mechanism , which clearly auggests that genetic influence is overcomable.
Back to the topic of school education, my view, which changes with age btw, is that most blacks/latinos students guve it up too early too easily due ti community tolerance. it is said that humans on average use about 15-20% of our brain capacity. Some of the genius may be able to use 25% of their brains, and we know how awssome they appear to the rest of us.... but the message here is that it does not matter if my brain is one size bigger than yours because i do not uae it to full potential anyway. Therefore I beleive that all human races have to potential become better and more intelligent than we are now, as long as everyone is willing to work hard and stay challenging themselves.

genetics is real but not in anyone's way to stop them from becoming better.

Old 03-27-2014, 10:48 AM

[quote=leoliu;34062472]
Quote:

Genes predispose people and overall groups to certain behavior and physical traits. That doesn't mean all people in that group are going to be that way. There are always exceptions and ways to adapt. But the majority of the time it is the

Genes confer an individual the potential to exel at specific tasks, but the environment plays a decisive role in terms of how much one can use that potential. In the case of bolt, he certainly has got the potential, but do not forget that he underwent lengthy and effective training much more than you or I did. So you cannot just say that he is so faster than you all because of his genes. If the same bolt who put in half of his effort in training, he can still easily beat you in running, but very likely he would have been one of the many unknown fast runners without a title.

Asians in general have a lower presentation in speed/strength related sports largely due to their physical conditions related to their genetic background. But it is possible to overcome this gap with determination, support and hard work. Chinese was once known as the sick man of asian, and in the recent past they have become a major competitor of olympic medals (partly thanks to some doping mechanism , which clearly auggests that genetic influence is overcomable.
Back to the topic of school education, my view, which changes with age btw, is that most blacks/latinos students guve it up too early too easily due ti community tolerance. it is said that humans on average use about 15-20% of our brain capacity. Some of the genius may be able to use 25% of their brains, and we know how awssome they appear to the rest of us.... but the message here is that it does not matter if my brain is one size bigger than yours because i do not uae it to full potential anyway. Therefore I beleive that all human races have to potential become better and more intelligent than we are now, as long as everyone is willing to work hard and stay challenging themselves.

genetics is real but not in anyone's way to stop them from becoming better.

Very well said. You have some good points here. At the same time, what good would it do for everyone to maximize "intelligence" if the society doesn't support it? What's the point of being a super genius who works at PayLess shoes? A big percentage of the population will always have to do crappy jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City