Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 02:17 PM

17,874 posts, read 16,015,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
Eh, just tear em down and put these up IMO.

My god, the creepy things I would do in there...
I always wondered how a mirror can reflect light, yet allow light through in only one direction at the same time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2014, 03:28 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,755,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
All this is as unnecessary as bikesharing. Why not just buy your own bike, and chain, and lock it up to a street light or something? If NYC wants to increase the use of bikes, just put up bike racks everywhere. I would not mind publicly funding a whole lot of bike racks. It will be much much cheaper. Or is the city doing this for money?
Because you can't take your bike everywhere you go

Old 03-23-2014, 04:12 PM

18,492 posts, read 31,701,265 times
I am secretly glad it is failing also, just because. LOL. Ha Ha !!!!

I don't think however it was really for tourists. How will they know where the docking stations are?. If they are tourists, chances are they don't know the city like we do.

I also think that 45 minutes is sort of having pressure on you as you ride, what if it takes longer than 45 minutes to get to where you have to be, what is you happen to run into a friend a chit chat and lose track of time. I don't like the time restriction it, that annoys me. It is like someone commanding that I only have 45 minutes to ride.

I didn't like the whole system of it at all. Plus here in Brooklyn it takes up too many parking spaces, and we already have parking problems......

Old 03-23-2014, 04:15 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,075,321 times
Time to get rid of those ridiculous bikelanes too

Old 03-23-2014, 05:12 PM

10,224 posts, read 19,257,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
Eh, just tear em down and put these up IMO.

My god, the creepy things I would do in there...
Works great until someone walks right up to it and cups their hands around their eyes to look in. Then they see what you're doing. On the plus side, many NYC residents will find the one-piece toilet and sink a comforting reminder of their home away from home on Rikers.

Old 03-23-2014, 05:40 PM

34,169 posts, read 47,414,628 times
Numbers don't lie - they're not making money. Who the hell in their right mind wants to ride a bike in Manhattan anyway - I hate driving in the city much less to get on a bike in all that traffic.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-23-2014, 05:48 PM

10,224 posts, read 19,257,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Numbers don't lie - they're not making money. Who the hell in their right mind wants to ride a bike in Manhattan anyway - I hate driving in the city much less to get on a bike in all that traffic.
Lots of people ride the bikes. But they're mostly annual customers, who don't cover the cost. The daily and weekly rates are cost-prohibitive ($10 and $25) and the terms restrictive (30 minutes as opposed to 45), so few people use them.

Old 03-23-2014, 05:50 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,081,394 times
I knew bikeshare in NYC was going to be trouble from the start from financing to logistics.

Old 03-23-2014, 05:55 PM

31,988 posts, read 27,135,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Plenty of persons ride bikes in NYC and yes even in Manhattan both for work, commuting and pleasure. Numbers are growing since Bloomberg's administration carved up the streets for dedicated bike lanes. The one on the Westside highway in particular is used by commuters from Westchester area as well as from New Jersey.

Old 03-23-2014, 06:04 PM

31,988 posts, read 27,135,714 times
I'll say it again, bike and car sharing schemes in Manhattan share similar problems. While their intention may be for short hourly "rentals", persons often see things differently. This is where renting versus sharing becomes blurred and causes confusion and problems.

Why put a Citibike station in Central Park if you aren't going to allow longer than one hour use? I mean suppose someone seeking to run an errand from CPW to the UES *might* be tempted but they are going to have to be a very good biker to get through the Park, to whatever point on the UES, get what they wanted or went for done, then return all in <40minutes.

Also as with car sharing available real estate/space is at a premium. Just as there is only so much street and or garage parking available for cars, you cannot clutter up limited sidewalk space with scores of bikes per location.

As for those that keep going on about "why don't these persons just buy a bike", you obviously haven't priced a good bicycle lately. No, you won't find one for $50 in the shops. Thrift stores or estate sales maybe, but not new. Then there becomes the problem of where to put the thing. Given the often cramped living quarters in Manhattan and elsewhere finding space to put a bike isn't always easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City