Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 01:36 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,990,209 times

Advertisements

NYC Catholic Schools recruit wealthy Chinese interested in studying in American to stay afloat.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/07/ny...cash.html?_r=0

Interesting, given the problems that NYC area Catholic Schools have had in recent years. Now they are turning to out of the country wealthy people in order to find students whose parents will pay high sums of money in order for them to attend school here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 05:36 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,625,889 times
Catholic schools always do what they have to do to stay afloat. Now with the new charter law, they are in even more trouble since people can now get a private education for free.

Old 04-07-2014, 05:47 AM

158 posts, read 304,081 times
Waste of money, they should all be shut down and good riddance to the ones that have already closed.

I went to catholic schools from pre k to college. In pre k I was beaten with a wooden paddle daily for not finishing my lunch and made to pray while others kids napped. In kindergarten we got slapped if we cried. In 7th grade a teacher threw a stapler and hit a girl in the face spilting her lip. In 8th grade my teacher would drag students down the hall pulling their ears and would hit you with a ruler if you acted up. In between those years various teachers had methods for loud children such as locking them in a closet or making them stand with stacks of textbooks in each hand.

Beyond the physical abuse you waste time learning how Jesus loves you instead of learning something useful such as more math & science. These people belive in ridiculous things and I suspect that can make you go a little crazy.

Old 04-07-2014, 02:50 PM

19,058 posts, read 13,981,222 times
Unless charter schools start accepting kids who don't come from poor families, it looks like Catholic School for my daughters. I refuse to subject them to progressive experimentation during the early years of their lives while we still live there (there because I am thankfully not in NY right now).

Old 04-07-2014, 02:56 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,068,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldYork View Post
Waste of money, they should all be shut down and good riddance to the ones that have already closed.

I went to catholic schools from pre k to college. In pre k I was beaten with a wooden paddle daily for not finishing my lunch and made to pray while others kids napped. In kindergarten we got slapped if we cried. In 7th grade a teacher threw a stapler and hit a girl in the face spilting her lip. In 8th grade my teacher would drag students down the hall pulling their ears and would hit you with a ruler if you acted up. In between those years various teachers had methods for loud children such as locking them in a closet or making them stand with stacks of textbooks in each hand.

Beyond the physical abuse you waste time learning how Jesus loves you instead of learning something useful such as more math & science. These people belive in ridiculous things and I suspect that can make you go a little crazy.
Im sorry to hear that you were so psychologically damaged by the terror of Sister Mary PassTheCandleLit.

Old 04-07-2014, 04:09 PM

2,770 posts, read 3,542,542 times
OldYork, I had the opposite experience.

When I was kid in queens, the public schools were so horrible my parents sent us to Catholic school.
I remember the curriculum being much more challenging, and they were teaching advance math to me in 2nd grade. And of course, the nuns would hit you with a ruler if you misbehaved. Never got molested by a priest fortunately.

I tuned out all the religious stuff.

The discipline prepared me well in life.

I now have a great career with nice income, and catholic school discipline played a role in it.

I think the millenials these days need a good beating to knock some sense into them.

Old 04-07-2014, 04:58 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,243,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldYork View Post
In pre k I was beaten with a wooden paddle daily
Sadly, there certainly was brutal treatment of students by supposedly religious faculty. A lot of people are understandably bitter over their experiences. However, abuse also occurred in public schools, and in some states corporal punishment of students is still permitted!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
I tuned out all the religious stuff. ... The discipline prepared me well in life.
There should have been an absolute distinction between discipline & brutality. If there was any line in the past, it was frequently crossed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
millenials these days need a good beating to knock some sense into them.
They're low on my list.

Old 04-07-2014, 05:28 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,086,482 times
The Catholic schools are coming late to the game on this on.The vast majority of US private liberal arts colleges and private secondary schools have been doing this for a decade or more.Many wouldn't be able to exist without Asian tuition money.They simply can't survive on American money because most Americans can no longer afford to pay the tuitions these places must charge to keep the places open.Most of them have a highly paid "foreign recruiting" staff who spend all their time in Asia drumming up business.

Old 04-07-2014, 05:32 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,691,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
Catholic schools always do what they have to do to stay afloat. Now with the new charter law, they are in even more trouble since people can now get a private education for free.
That's not true because no religion is taught. The idea of going to a Catholic school is to learn about your faith. Unfortunately, In NYC which has one of the worst segregated schools in the country. Many people use the Catholic schools to get away from the day to day savagery that goes on in the public schools.

Old 04-07-2014, 05:45 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,966,007 times
Cant these schools sell themselves to parents who are hell bent on getting their kids on a college or Pro Sports team, while still getting an education? Lets face it, they are practically sports academies now. Just go all the way, and only take students who are exceptional athletes. Let them focus on sports, and education as a fall back. When and if they make it, the deal should be to donate a small portion of the salary and endorsements money to the school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City