Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 06:15 AM

265 posts, read 488,318 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

We are currently exploring a move to NYC due to a job situation (Columbia U Med Center). Our main issue will be finding the right school for our upcoming high schooler. We are not interested in private schools and are reticent about charter schools, seeing how they mostly underperform (though not all do). I see that we have missed the high school sign up/lottery? deadlines, applications, etc. Any idea what happens for families that move into the city AFTER the deadline? Is it true that there are no zoned high schools? Our kid isn't into sports, but very academic and musically/theatrically involved. We are looking for safe, but diverse schools, with significant AP class/IB class options, extracurricular activities like Model UN, science olympiad, Odyssey of the Mind/Destination Imagination, etc. Test scores, while important, are really a small part of the calculus, knowing that socio-economic realities factor largely in those metrics.

We would be open to living in any section of NYC that would give a commute (public transportation or walking) of ~30-45 min, if the school situation were a good one. We initially were thinking of buying, ($650K max SF house) or renting if needed.

I've scoured the district webpage, and these forums, but clearly I'm not good at the right Google phrase that will get me the answers to these questions.

Our other option would be to live in CT and commute in--but that would be a heinous commute, from what I've gathered? One of us needs to be able to (relatively easily) get to Armonk & White Plains & Southbury CT for work occasionally, limiting our ability to live in NJ.

TIA for advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 06:33 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,320,015 times
By "Brooklyn area" do you really mean NYC area? The metro area still revolves around Manhattan, not Brooklyn.

Old 03-25-2014, 06:55 AM

5,142 posts, read 4,976,546 times
If CT is a consideration, west chester would be a good alternative middle point. School is excellent and housing is within your budget and commute is decent northern manhattan.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:46 AM

1,271 posts, read 3,233,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
By "Brooklyn area" do you really mean NYC area? The metro area still revolves around Manhattan, not Brooklyn.
Must be referring to Westchester. $650k is not going to buy anyone a house in Brooklyn outside of the worst areas or some really run-down wrecks.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:50 AM

5,522 posts, read 8,776,763 times
There are still a few decent zoned high schools in Brooklyn and Queens, but you'd have live in the zone and while these are all generally pleasant neighborhoods, the commute from them to Columbia Presbyterian at 168th & Broadway in Manhattan will probably be an hour at the least. If you're still interested, however, check out Murrow and Midwood High schools in Brooklyn, Forest Hills HS in Forest Hills, or Bayside, Cardozo, and Francis Lewis high schools, all in eastern Queens. All offer a wide variety of courses, and all are huge. There are no zoned high schools in Manhattan or IIRC the Bronx.

The DOE web site has a place I think where you can put in an address and find if you're zoned for that high school.

If the kid is going into 9th or 10th grade this fall, there is a late test every August specifically for new arrivals in the city to get into the specialized high schools -- Bronx Science, Stuyvesant, Brooklyn Tech, High School of American Studies, Brooklyn Latin, and three other specialized science-oriented schools in Queens, Manhattan, and Staten Island. There is also a late audition period I believe for Laguardia, the specialized school for fine and performing arts near Lincoln Center. From your description this sounds ideal for your child if has what the school is looking for in the various studios -- painting, vocal, instrumental, acting, dance, etc. Kids also need very good grades and test scores to get in, but don't take the specialized school test. Kids who get into the specialized high schools travel from all over the city to where their school is. They are nearly all motivated and academically ambitious. They'd have to be because the test to get in is a bit--h. If you go this route buy a study guide fo your child NOW and start working at it.

If you don't make it into any of them, the DOE has a placement office that will find a spot in whatever school that you and they can negotiate. But remeber, they won't even talk to you w/o proof of a NYC address. Sometimesthe placement office thing works out great. Sometimes not. The best chance you have in that situation is to specifically ask for some of the stronger academic schools -- and it sounds as if your kid would be right fo them and have the records to back it up -- and hope for the best. Some of those schools would be Bard, Beacon, Millenium, Baruch and Eleanor Roosevelt in Manhattan, or Bard II, Baccalauareate School, and Townsend Harris in Queens. And if you end up in an unacceptabel HS for 9th grade, all students have the option of applying through the regular process again for any school to go to the 10th grade.

Check the insideschools.org site for specific data on each NYC school as well as lots of general information.

Of course lower Westchester is an option, but the commute (by car) into the city can be horrible in rush horu. But manageable if you're working off hours. You might be able to do mass transit on the MTA Harlem Line. Many of the 'burbs along the river, like Tarrytown, Ardlsey, Irvington,et al, have good schools, and the train stops at Marble Hill in the Bronx, where you can transfer to the subway (No. 1 line) directly to Columbia Presbyterian. Of course if you work odd hours this might not work because of the train schedules.

Finally, don't write off NJ quite so quickly. A town like Ft. Lee has a solid HS, is right across the river from the Columbia Medical Center, and plenty of buses will make the trip 24/7 via the George Washington Bridge. Also, driving from Ft. Lee to Connecticut or Armonk OCCASSIONALY from here would be no big deal. But on a daily basis, yes, it would be a major PITA and I wouldn't recommend it.

Getting one's child in a good high school in NYC is damn near a contact sport even for those of us who've been here. Good luck, wherever you end up, and welcome to New York. And to one of the finest hospitals in the country.

Last edited by citylove101; 03-25-2014 at 09:21 AM..

Old 03-25-2014, 09:30 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,718,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandy-bound View Post
Hi all,

We are currently exploring a move to NYC due to a job situation (Columbia U Med Center). Our main issue will be finding the right school for our upcoming high schooler. We are not interested in private schools and are reticent about charter schools, seeing how they mostly underperform (though not all do). I see that we have missed the high school sign up/lottery? deadlines, applications, etc. Any idea what happens for families that move into the city AFTER the deadline? Is it true that there are no zoned high schools? Our kid isn't into sports, but very academic and musically/theatrically involved. We are looking for safe, but diverse schools, with significant AP class/IB class options, extracurricular activities like Model UN, science olympiad, Odyssey of the Mind/Destination Imagination, etc. Test scores, while important, are really a small part of the calculus, knowing that socio-economic realities factor largely in those metrics.

We would be open to living in any section of NYC that would give a commute (public transportation or walking) of ~30-45 min, if the school situation were a good one. We initially were thinking of buying, ($650K max SF house) or renting if needed.

I've scoured the district webpage, and these forums, but clearly I'm not good at the right Google phrase that will get me the answers to these questions.

Our other option would be to live in CT and commute in--but that would be a heinous commute, from what I've gathered? One of us needs to be able to (relatively easily) get to Armonk & White Plains & Southbury CT for work occasionally, limiting our ability to live in NJ.

TIA for advice.
I would move to North NJ instead. CT commute is expensive and long. NJ public schools are better than most public schools in NYC the commute is better and your kids will have a real HS experience vs a cramped inner city HS. I went to Brooklyn Tech it was a really challenging experience because you don't have a true HS setting. I took the subway to school and you're constantly stuck in packed trains with other adults. Not a good HS experience vs some NJ schools that has a true campus like experience.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:41 AM

633 posts, read 1,165,288 times
No zoned schools? Who told you that? Yes kids now can apply to a school outside their zone, but every neighborhood has zoned schools.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:57 AM

265 posts, read 488,318 times
Thanks for the information. I saw something about no zoned schools for HIGH schools only off another website. If that isn't true, that would be excellent, assuming we could find housing in our price range. It was my understanding after looking through the district website that all high school students had to apply for a spot at a high school--no neighborhood zones. If I'm wrong, that could certainly help things.

As for moving to NJ, I don't think that will be an option, given the 2-body problem and the other spouse needing to get to places outside of the city and in CT for work. While not a daily commute, it would be often enough that I don't think NJ will fit our needs. We will look into it if nothing else works out.

Thanks for the information on the late August test for the high schools. That makes me feel better that we could find something that could be a perfect fit--if it works out. That's why I was concerned if there are no neighborhood zoned schools--we want a solid back up just in case the school he wants has no room or if he doesn't audition in.

Old 03-25-2014, 10:39 AM

5,522 posts, read 8,776,763 times
Every neighborhood has zoned elementary schools. Very few neighborhoods have zoned high schools, which is what OP asked about. Like I say, a handful of good ones in Brooklyn and Queens, but that's about it.

And even where there are zoned high schools, kids still need to put in an application and list their zoned schools first, for which they'll get an automatic admit. And presumably they'll be admitted if they move into the zone after the papplication process is over.

Old 03-25-2014, 11:34 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,361,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SINY2NC View Post
No zoned schools? Who told you that? Yes kids now can apply to a school outside their zone, but every neighborhood has zoned schools.
Not really for HS anymore. For elementary/middle schools, yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandy-bound View Post
Thanks for the information. I saw something about no zoned schools for HIGH schools only off another website. If that isn't true, that would be excellent, assuming we could find housing in our price range. It was my understanding after looking through the district website that all high school students had to apply for a spot at a high school--no neighborhood zones. If I'm wrong, that could certainly help things.

As for moving to NJ, I don't think that will be an option, given the 2-body problem and the other spouse needing to get to places outside of the city and in CT for work. While not a daily commute, it would be often enough that I don't think NJ will fit our needs. We will look into it if nothing else works out.

Thanks for the information on the late August test for the high schools. That makes me feel better that we could find something that could be a perfect fit--if it works out. That's why I was concerned if there are no neighborhood zoned schools--we want a solid back up just in case the school he wants has no room or if he doesn't audition in.
For the type of classes/programs you are looking for, you'll probably have to look at a bigger HS if you're not into private schools. Citylove gave you some good advice but I'd start checking into things sooner than later. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City