Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 03:48 PM

144 posts, read 464,663 times

Advertisements

Its definitely a legit concern IMO since the pedestrian cannot control the driver behind the wheel. There are almost as many motor vehicle deaths as homicides It's Too Easy to Kill Pedestrians in New York City | Village Voice. 286 motor vehicle deaths vs 335 homicides at some point of 2013. 'Maybe' the stickied safety maps needs to account for pedestrian safety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 04:24 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,233,227 times
I get a bit anxious anytime I have to take a train at rush hour. Mainly cause I'm just pretty tired of new yorkers, never mind having to be literally squeezed next to a hundred in a sardine can...

Old 04-22-2014, 04:36 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,998,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
I don't get anxious but I do look to make sure no cars are coming even if I have the 'walk' sign. One Saturday morning, I was taking my daughter to a class in Midtown East and we were walking up 3rd Avenue and we had the 'walk' sign. Some jackhole from NJ came whipping around the corner making an illegal right on red and missed us by inches. Had we been walking a tiny bit faster, we would have been smashed.
That's when I have my briefcase out in front of me ready to smash it into the car if they get too close. I am told it makes a very loud sound inside the car. Gives me a great opportunity to ask them if they know the law about no right on red in the city ?

Old 04-22-2014, 06:45 PM

5,528 posts, read 8,802,136 times
I'm pretty cautious when it comes to watching out for cars, trucks, and buses, even at the busiest intersections. They don't make me nervous at at all, maybe becuase I've grown up with it.

But bicycles are another story. After almost getting knocked down a few times I now routinely look both ways when crossing a one-way street, 'cause some dumb guy on a bike will be inevitably be riding the wrong way. Bikes are vehicles and need to obey traffic laws just like cars. Somebody should tell the dimwits that ride in the wrong direction that its not only dangerous for pedestians, but dangerous for the cyclist too -- espeically at intersections and riding past driveways.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:19 PM

384 posts, read 513,750 times
The same things that distract drivers also distract pedestrians. I'm surprised there aren't more accidents. I feel like especially on cross streets, which are narrower than avenues, you see people crossing against the light who feel they can "beat" the oncoming traffic. Personally, I never feel at risk when crossing. The only time I worry is when I hear a police or fire siren and I can't see where it's coming from.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:43 PM

115 posts, read 166,016 times
No, I don't feel anxious. I'm always cautious. I always look both ways regardless of type of street.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:21 PM

31 posts, read 51,295 times
I grew up in NYC and don't recall feeling anxious while crossing streets. I have had friends/family members that were hit as pedestrians.
Driving there, though, gives me tons of anxiety.

Old 04-22-2014, 11:51 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,441,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillife View Post
Yes, especially after reading about all the hit and runs in the news, which usually end up with "no criminality suspected". I live in an area with major thoroughfares (Atlantic and Flatbush) and busy intersections so I am extra vigilant. Taxis and livery cars, dollar vans and Access-A-Ride vans are the worst.
Dollar van drivers drive like their in Jamaica or Haiti. It's ridiculous, I'm shocked that they don't kill someone each day.

Old 04-23-2014, 01:34 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,382,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyandLazy View Post
Seriously. I have been here for 3 years now and I have come close to getting hit by a car four times. One time the bumper even touched my feet.

I know everyone is in a hurry but these jerks, they don't wait at all and will run you over if there weren't consequences.

I just had to vent. I am so sick of waiting for the walk sign only for the cars to curve in so close that they would break my joints if they went pass a few inches more.

If it makes you feel better, I've lived here my entire life and:
-I've been hit by car twice. (Once was in NYC and the time I was REALLY hit, meaning I broke the windshield, went over the car and had my shoes fly off of my feet, was when I wasn't even in the city!)
-My sister and my grandparents have been hit by cars.

Let's be fair OP: It's not the fault of the driver all of the time---pedestrians are equally annoying, and I say that as someone who didn't learn to drive until they were older so I'm fairly used to being a pedestrian. How many times, as a driver, have I had a pedestrian run in front of my car, stand as far out into the street as they can, walk and text/talk at the same time, etc. I've seen morons walk their carriage into the middle of Ocean Parkway only to get sort of stuck because they just had to walk with a baby against the light.

I'd say both drivers and pedestrians are equally idiotic.

Old 04-23-2014, 05:10 AM

25,424 posts, read 37,199,557 times
Never anxious but always vigilant.
Even crossing a one-way street I find it wise to look both ways because you can get mowed down by Pablito and his Moo-Shu delivery going the wrong way.
I find Third Avenue at night where this is most likely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: