Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 05:51 PM

115 posts, read 165,556 times

Advertisements

Grew up in Brooklyn. Been out of the city for three years, but moving back. Don't think I could afford anything decent in BK.

Combined gross income 90K.

We will rent a 2 bedroom.

I have a car and will be working in Brooklyn near the BK and Manhattan bridges.

We have a school-aged child that will attend public or charter schools, most likely in BK. I don't need school recs. I am familiar with the good, bad, and ugly.

Looking for somewhere with no alternate side parking rules. That is my only want. I don't know much about Queens, but was told to look into neighborhoods there. Open to the suburbs outside, but not too familiar with those either.

Suggestions please. Thanks!

Last edited by Classie; 04-22-2014 at 06:40 PM.. Reason: additional info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 06:00 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,217,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classie View Post
Grew up in Brooklyn. Been out of the city for three years, but moving back. Don't think I could afford anything decent in BK.

We will rent.

We have a school-aged child that will attend public or charter schools, most likely in BK. I don't need school recs. I am familiar with the good, bad, and ugly.

Looking for somewhere with no alternate side parking rules. That is my only want. I don't know much about Queens, but was told to look into neighborhoods there. Open to the suburbs outside, but not too familiar with those either.

You're from Brooklyn. How could you possibly make such a statement that you couldn't afford anything decent in Brooklyn for 90k/yr? Did you grow up on North 7th street, never left a 4 block radius, and know how expensive it is there now? Do you really not realize how big Brooklyn is?

Old 04-22-2014, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
You're from Brooklyn. How could you possibly make such a statement that you couldn't afford anything decent in Brooklyn for 90k/yr? Did you grow up on North 7th street, never left a 4 block radius, and know how expensive it is there now? Do you really not realize how big Brooklyn is?
LOL I'm actually from Bed-Stuy, where the rents are getting higher and higher, as I've been told by family/friends etc. Some of these rents are above 1500 going into the 2000s for a decent 2 bedroom. Besides, I'm looking for somewhere w/no alternate side parking.

Old 04-22-2014, 06:16 PM

251 posts, read 341,950 times
At 90K, your rent should be capped at around 2300. I'm guess you want a 2BR?

Queens suggestions:
If you're driving to Manhattan Bridge, try Rego Park, Maspeth, or Elmhurst.
If you want to take the subway, you can take the F line. Look at Forest Hills/Rego Park or Jackson Heights.

Old 04-22-2014, 06:18 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
Quote:

We will rent.

You could throw a dart at just about any residential neighborhood in Eastern Queens that doesn't have subway access and find that there is no alternate side parking. You can actually throw virtual darts by using Google maps. Here, I just did this one: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Qu...0f58ea0e3c5524

The absence of parking signs means there are no regulations.

I think you will need to get more specific about your wants/needs because the absence of alternate side is not really enough to narrow things down.

Also, you should consider that in many further-out Queens (and maybe Brooklyn) areas, you only need to pay $100-$150 a month for an off-street spot. I suppose it depends on demand. You can check for parking here
Brooklyn new york parking & storage classifieds "parking" - craigslist

Queens new york parking & storage classifieds "parking" - craigslist

Old 04-22-2014, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv224 View Post
At 90K, your rent should be capped at around 2300. I'm guess you want a 2BR?

Queens suggestions:
If you're driving to Manhattan Bridge, try Rego Park, Maspeth, or Elmhurst.
If you want to take the subway, you can take the F line. Look at Forest Hills/Rego Park or Jackson Heights.
Thanks for the suggestions. I would want a two bedroom. No, I certainly don't mind taking the train. I will look into those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
You could throw a dart at just about any residential neighborhood in Eastern Queens that doesn't have subway access and find that there is no alternate side parking. You can actually throw virtual darts by using Google maps. Here, I just did this one: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Qu...0f58ea0e3c5524

The absence of parking signs means there are no regulations.

I think you will need to get more specific about your wants/needs because the absence of alternate side is not really enough to narrow things down.

Also, you should consider that in many further-out Queens (and maybe Brooklyn) areas, you only need to pay $100-$150 a month for an off-street spot. I suppose it depends on demand. You can check for parking here
Brooklyn new york parking & storage classifieds "parking" - craigslist

Queens new york parking & storage classifieds "parking" - craigslist
I kind of wanted to keep it broad because I want as many options as possible.

Honestly, living down South has definitely spoiled me, but I know I am not going to be able to get what I have down here in NYC and still live comfortably and save. If I were to have it all, I'd have a dishwasher, washer/dryer hook-ups, and parking. As far as I know, having grown up in Brooklyn, these types of amenities are not available unless I want to live in some newer expensive apartment/condo. I actually never operated a dishwasher prior to moving down here. lol

Therefore, I am trying not really picky at all. I know I need to be as realistic as possible.

At least, I'd want to be in a place where there are no street cleaning rules. At best, I'd have a parking spot. At very best, washer/dryer hook ups, and a dishwasher. Do you guys think that's too much to ask on my income? I thought it was, which is why didn't even go there. lol

Good info about the parking spots. Thank you!

Old 04-22-2014, 06:48 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions. I would want a two bedroom. No, I certainly don't mind taking the train. I will look into those.

I kind of wanted to keep it broad because I want as many options as possible.

Honestly, living down South has definitely spoiled me, but I know I am not going to be able to get what I have down here in NYC and still live comfortably and save. If I were to have it all, I'd have a dishwasher, washer/dryer hook-ups, and parking. As far as I know, having grown up in Brooklyn, these types of amenities are not available unless I want to live in some newer expensive apartment/condo. I actually never operated a dishwasher prior to moving down here. lol

Therefore, I am trying not really picky at all. I know I need to be as realistic as possible.

At least, I'd want to be in a place where there are no street cleaning rules. At best, I'd have a parking spot. At very best, washer/dryer hook ups, and a dishwasher. Do you guys think that's too much to ask on my income? I thought it was, which is why didn't even go there. lol

Good info about the parking spots. Thank you!
You don't care about your commute time?

Maybe look into Middle Village. Not sure what the prices are like, but it's relatively close to Brooklyn and has at least some streets with no alternate side.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Mi...1a62f95c745138

Old 04-22-2014, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
You don't care about your commute time?

Maybe look into Middle Village. Not sure what the prices are like, but it's relatively close to Brooklyn and has at least some streets with no alternate side.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Mi...1a62f95c745138
Yeah, forgot about commute time. I'd prefer 30 minutes or less, but am not adverse to up to 45. Thanks!

Old 04-22-2014, 07:36 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,048,995 times
Not sure if you're familiar with the area Woodhaven or would like it since I think you can afford more with your income. There are many streets there that have no alternate side street parking. Depending on how close you're to the A train you can either take the subway or just drive straight down Atlantic Ave to work. From browsing through craigslist I see 2BRs in the 1600 range. However there are still sub 300k 3br houses meaning it might be cheaper to buy a 3br house than to rent a 2br apt there. It would be a fairly easy commute for you either driving or taking the A train.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
Not sure if you're familiar with the area Woodhaven or would like it since I think you can afford more with your income. There are many streets there that have no alternate side street parking. Depending on how close you're to the A train you can either take the subway or just drive straight down Atlantic Ave to work. From browsing through craigslist I see 2BRs in the 1600 range. However there are still sub 300k 3br houses meaning it might be cheaper to buy a 3br house than to rent a 2br apt there. It would be a fairly easy commute for you either driving or taking the A train.
Thanks for the info! You guys have definitely opened up my eyes. I know nothing outside of Brooklyn and Manhattan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: