Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 09:40 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,066,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
A legitimate question is whether agents of the state (i.e. the police) should enjoy special rights and privileges not availible to ordinary citizens.
And another legitimate question is whether all civil servants should enjoy freedom from being abused and degraded by the skells and mutts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 09:51 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,267,364 times
Wow, what a terrible bill. This basically allows the police to arrest anyone they wish. Say someone records the cops beating up a suspect in the street--they could also arrest the person making that recording because they are being "annoying". But why stop there? They could arrest someone for looking at them funny--again because they are being "annoying".

This is much worse than Stop and Frisk IMO.

Old 04-30-2014, 09:55 AM

503 posts, read 899,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
Wow, what a terrible bill. This basically allows the police to arrest anyone they wish. Say someone records the cops beating up a suspect in the street--they could also arrest the person making that recording because they are being "annoying". But why stop there? They could arrest someone for looking at them funny--again because they are being "annoying".

This is much worse than Stop and Frisk IMO.
If they rectify some of the language from that bill, specifically looking at "annoying" it should get passed without a problem. I agree with you and others, this bill sounds far too arbitrary and it threatens to open the flood gates. Far too dangerous.

Old 04-30-2014, 10:00 AM

1,418 posts, read 2,547,497 times
That's why I posted it. Bills like this are passed under a pile of bills. It gets very little attention until its too late. This bill is ripe for abuse. And any lawyer can see it coming far away.

If we are so interested in protecting the cops and THE PUBLIC, then how about pushing for body cams on every single cop? This would cut back on claims of abuse, protect both the public and LE, cut down on litigation, reduce complaints on stop and frisk. etc. It's a win-win!

Old 04-30-2014, 10:02 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,405,966 times
burn that stinking bill. it's unamerican.

Old 04-30-2014, 10:02 AM

8,105 posts, read 6,754,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertee View Post
Go look up the actual bill. The kicking, shoving and spitting are not the issue. What constitutes "Annoying." What about freedom of speech. Can you imagine how that will be abused by LE? Why is this issue protecting LE only? The public has the right ot be protected by LE also, but we have all seen the double standards of justice.
I took your suggestion and looked up the bill. See the link. Nowhere in the bill is your right to free speech attacked. Also kicking, shoving, and spitting at police officers are exactly the issues that this bill is addressing.

S2402-2013 - NY Senate Open Legislation - Establishes the crime of aggravated harassment of a police officer or peace officer - New York State Senate

Old 04-30-2014, 10:04 AM

1,418 posts, read 2,547,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
I took your suggestion and looked up the bill. See the link. Nowhere in the bill is your right to free speech attacked. Also kicking, shoving, and spitting at police officers are exactly the issues that this bill is addressing.

S2402-2013 - NY Senate Open Legislation - Establishes the crime of aggravated harassment of a police officer or peace officer - New York State Senate

Like I said the issue is not what you mentioned. I don't think anyone in their right mind would side with anyone who kicks, shoves or spits on any individual. It's the"annoy" part that is open to abuse!

Section 1. The penal law is amended by adding a new section 240.33 to
read as follows:
S 240.33 AGGRAVATED HARASSMENT OF A POLICE OFFICER OR PEACE OFFICER.
A PERSON IS GUILTY OF AGGRAVATED HARASSMENT OF A POLICE OFFICER OR
PEACE OFFICER WHEN, WITH THE INTENT TO HARASS, ANNOY, THREATEN OR ALARM
A PERSON WHOM HE OR SHE KNOWS OR REASONABLY SHOULD KNOW TO BE A POLICE
OFFICER OR PEACE OFFICER ENGAGED IN THE COURSE OF PERFORMING HIS OR HER
OFFICIAL DUTIES, HE OR SHE STRIKES, SHOVES, KICKS OR OTHERWISE SUBJECTS
SUCH PERSON TO PHYSICAL CONTACT.

What about harass? What about threaten? How do you prove that? Whats to say the cop can't lie? What's to say a cop can't arrest you for some trumped up charge? You go to jail, wait to see a judge, etc. Even if you are not convicted, you wasted your time for nothing.

Last edited by Mistertee; 04-30-2014 at 10:14 AM..

Old 04-30-2014, 10:06 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
1) Should those be a felony rather a misdemeanor? I mean, spitting?

2) Is it actually limited to kicking, shoving and spitting or vague harassment? It does say "physical contact".

3) Physical contact could include this guy harassed the cop by hitting the cop's fist. Or a guy resisting arrest pushing back. Resisting arrest is already a crime, there's no need to turn into a felony on addition.

Is there a particular problem instance that this law is trying to solve that isn't already addressed? It reads to me as nothing but a statement to show "I support law enforcement".

Old 04-30-2014, 10:08 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,267,364 times
Quote:

So, if a person is recording a police officer committing a crime--and the person making that recording is arrested and charged with "annoying" the officer how is that *not* a violation of that person's Constitutional rights?

Likewise, if a person observes a group of police officers in a circle kicking and beating a suspect, and that observer is pleading with the officers to stop. That person could be arrested. How is that not a violation of free speech?

I feel you are only looking at the physical intimidation in this bill--which no one has a problem with.

Old 04-30-2014, 10:12 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,405,966 times
they should throw whoever thought of this stupid bill in jail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City