Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 09:34 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,742,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
I don't know. You might want find yourself a broker. Your searches seem way off. No one is paying $3k for a one bedroom in Elmhurst (or any nabe around here for that matter with the exception of LIC and maybe Astoria).
Those prices I quoted were Manhattan rental prices (some are even higher than that!).

In buildings in Rego Park, Elmhurst, Forest Hills, etc, you're talking $2500+ for a 2BR in a building. That's a lot of money. To me, that's a lot and you would have to earn 40x ($100K) to qualify and I don't make $100K/year! I was thinking we might be able to do a 1BR and I can let my daughter have the bedroom and I would sleep in the livingroom but I don't know if I want to live like that.

I guess I'm going to have to find a second job and possibly a third if I want to live there. What a way to live!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2014, 09:46 PM

37,292 posts, read 39,614,796 times
There's a chance something might work for you in regards to living in NYC, but it depends on what you want and are willing to give up in return for what you get. Sit down and figure out for yourself what you are looking for. What's your budget? What do you want? What are your must-haves and what are your absolute limits? If NYC fits the bill for that cost benefit analysis then by all means--but it's very well likely that you might come across another place that fits what you want better. If the suburbs are what you hate, you might be able to find a perfectly great city to fit you elsewhere in the US. Have you explored the options of other dense and urban cities such as Chicago and Philadelphia? Maybe Baltimore?

Old 05-03-2014, 10:34 PM

I will not, as a grown woman with a child, have "room mates". As if I'm going to expose my child or myself to living with a total stranger. Yep, that would be great parenting!

I said in my other posts that I'm not looking to live in Manhattan. I said Queens or Brooklyn.

Old 05-03-2014, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
There's a chance something might work for you in regards to living in NYC, but it depends on what you want and are willing to give up in return for what you get. Sit down and figure out for yourself what you are looking for. What's your budget? What do you want? What are your must-haves and what are your absolute limits? If NYC fits the bill for that cost benefit analysis then by all means--but it's very well likely that you might come across another place that fits what you want better. If the suburbs are what you hate, you might be able to find a perfectly great city to fit you elsewhere in the US. Have you explored the options of other dense and urban cities such as Chicago and Philadelphia? Maybe Baltimore?

You give this advice very often. Do you realize that Chicago is just as expensive as NYC? Philly is getting as expensive as well. I know nothing about Baltimore.

Also, I don't know if you've ever thought of this: I work in NEW YORK, not Chicago, Philly, or Baltimore. I would never move anywhere without having a job SECURELY in place and that's not going to happen long-distance.

Telling someone "just move to Chicago, Philly, or Baltimore" is ridiculous.

Old 05-03-2014, 10:38 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,045,939 times
So, what is your budget?

Old 05-04-2014, 12:32 AM

37,292 posts, read 39,614,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
You give this advice very often. Do you realize that Chicago is just as expensive as NYC? Philly is getting as expensive as well. I know nothing about Baltimore.

Also, I don't know if you've ever thought of this: I work in NEW YORK, not Chicago, Philly, or Baltimore. I would never move anywhere without having a job SECURELY in place and that's not going to happen long-distance.

Telling someone "just move to Chicago, Philly, or Baltimore" is ridiculous.
Chicago is not as expensive as New York Moderator cut: personal attack I did a stint in Chicago and Philly for jobs not that similar to what I do now, but not Baltimore though I've been scouted for jobs there. I wouldn't advise moving to any of those places without due diligence on your part to see what you can get for your industry. I'm not in the same boat as you seem to be, because I can afford being in this city without working two full time jobs and a part time job on the weekends just fine, but I understand that that may not cater to everyone's individual skill sets and the work available matched to what they want. I'm fulfilling what I want here living in NYC without too much I find lacking. Do your own cost-benefit analysis, and if you want help, I and others on the forum are willing to chime in to see if we can dispense some homespun advice which you can take at your liking. Skills are generally portable, but if yours aren't, then it probably means you won't do any better in terms of cost of living here than you will in other places (such as Chicago, Philly, or even Baltimore if you still want that urban experience). Again, what is your budget and what are you prioritizing?

Moderator cut: Personal attack

Last edited by bmwguydc; 05-04-2014 at 09:01 AM.. Reason: Personal attack

Old 05-04-2014, 02:45 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,559,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
Most people really struggle in New York, despite all the glamour portrayed in the New York Times real estate section. My 32-year-old cousin just moved to New Orleans. She is making similar money and for the first time in her life can save. Loves it there.

I suggest you and others explore other cities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by staygully View Post
^
I third that was curious skimmed.

Um yeah living together with family is actually common especially nowadays. Its really a culture thing tho. Italians never leave nest, rich kids like free rent, Asian/ latino immigrants really supportive of family

No?

If not then idk craiglist split rent 50/50 with stranger.

No?

Well you'd be surprised at how many ppl in NY shack up nope your not it is toooooo common.

No?

Well I imagine between you and your boyfriend or husband can manage rent.

No?

Make a decision called being an adult it sucks right

Old 05-04-2014, 06:59 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,255,246 times
Quote:
Not even close. Chicago is nowhere close to being expensive as Queens. If you made 100k in Chicago, you'd need to make 130kish in Queens, almost double for Manhattan because of living cost difference. Also Chicago is small compared to NYC as whole. Population of Brooklyn is slightly less than Chicago 2.56m vs 2.75m.

To your original question of how to make it in NYC. Blue collar jobs doesn't cut it. Need to be in solid career tracks, have smart head on your shoulder, great work ethics, and work your butt off or competition will crush you. Otherwise it will be very difficult and unlikely.

If you don't have some wealthy 'sponsor' then this the path. With the direction of economy and jobs are moving, this is also the only future. Look at other modernized countries and see what happens to blue collar workers. Even union folks. London for example.

Old 05-04-2014, 07:04 AM

821 posts, read 1,102,327 times
Quote:
.... and I'm not talking "Manhattan". I mean the outer boroughs. I currently live on LI and I absolutely HATE it!!! I've been wanting to move to Queens or Brooklyn for the longest time (I actually lived in NYC for the better part of my life and moved out to suburban HELL about 16 years ago and have wanted to move back ever since.).

Anyway, I've been looking all over at apartments in Queens and I can't believe not only how high the rents are but how much they've gone up over the past six months! I'm not familiar with Brooklyn neighborhoods but the rents there are just as high (if not higher) and the rents that seem affordable are in areas I know to be unsafe or undesirable in some other way.

Just looking at these rents and thinking about all the other bills (Con Ed, cable, MetroCard, Brooklyn Union Gas, groceries, etc) I can't help but wonder how in the world do working class people make it in NYC???? I am a single mother (divorced) of a teenager so college is very close on the horizon as well.

Other than working 2 full time jobs and a part time job on the weekends, how do you make it????
Diversity solves everything and queens is quite diverse.

Old 05-04-2014, 08:31 AM

39 posts, read 55,041 times
I like this topic and all of the answers.

We all know that NYC is the largest and most expensive city in the U.S. and I've heard that "if you make it here that you can make it anywhere". Surviving here depends on your needs as an individual. Some New Yorkers wouldn't dare move to the Bronx because they would rather spend 2K sharing an apartment in the city with strangers/friends to say what? That they're making it? If you can't make it on your own then you ain't making it in my opinion. You can take that 2K and rent a decent one bedroom in nicer parts of the Bronx or even rent out a 3 bedroom house.

I feel like I'm struggling here and I actually want to move out of New York and I'm looking to move out to San Diego. I hear over there is expensive too but I'm from NYC so as the saying goes "if you can make it here,....." Anyway I'm tired of the cold weather, the dirtiness, the noise, the crowds, the pushing, the hustling and bustling....I definitely want a change and as an almost married 26 yo female, I haven't really been in the club scene in about 2 years, the excitement of a city isn't my thing. I never took advantage of NYC anyway cuz I can't afford to go to shows and concerts, plays, musicals, eat at expensive restaurants etc. I make about 45K/year, also in grad school but I get help paying it through my employer, planning a (budget) wedding and live in a one bedroom by myself in the Bronx where I pay a little more than 1k each month. The "luxuries" that I don't have include a car (I walk to work so I'm saving loads) cable, a home phone, designer clothes and bags, trips to the beauty salon, etc. I rarely pamper myself. I live somewhat within my means although i do have a credit card that won't be paid off within the next 2 years :-/ I'm comfortable, actually in a better position that many of my friends and old classmates.

What else can I person like me (people make less than me and have kids!) do in this situation? As one person said "I'm a grown woman" so don't start with the whole roommate thing. Last time I had roommates was in college 5 years ago. It's very hard to make money stretch especially when you have kids, sick relatives and bills to pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City