Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 07:54 PM

7 posts, read 5,624 times

Advertisements

It's hard out here...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 12:03 AM

7 posts, read 8,304 times
...and this is why I'm moving back to Miami later this year

Born and raised in NYC but have never and will not ever have the money to enjoy it. Dont like the dirt, smells, and long winters. Don't need to prove I "made it"...

It's been real NY....

Old 05-07-2014, 09:07 AM

34,175 posts, read 47,407,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_girl_only View Post
...and this is why I'm moving back to Miami later this year

Born and raised in NYC but have never and will not ever have the money to enjoy it. Dont like the dirt, smells, and long winters. Don't need to prove I "made it"...

It's been real NY....
What are some of the things that middle class people in Miami get to enjoy that middle class people in NYC cannot?

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-07-2014, 10:55 AM

5,167 posts, read 5,002,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
What are some of the things that middle class people in Miami get to enjoy that middle class people in NYC cannot?
a nice spacious house with garages/recreational areas
a friendly neighborhood where people smile/hi at each other and block party together frequently
a surplus budget that allows more savings towards retirement and family getaways
a decent school system close to home that kids get to grow up together and form more stable life long friendship.
a shorter commute to work in your own car that allows you to avoid riding the packed trains and breathing in the air your fellow commuters just emptied from their exhaust pipes.

all in all, one has to live in other american middle class neighborhoods to fully appreciare what is missing for nyc middle class residents.
nyc has fantastic weather and no business curfew, which are the major appleals to me.
in terms of other amenities, i can do with 1/10 of it if i could avoid my 3% local tax.

Old 05-07-2014, 10:58 AM

900 posts, read 2,375,132 times
OP, how soon can you move?

Looks like a 2 bdrm apartment will soon be available in my rent stablized building. Pros: pets are welcomed, diverse renters, gentrifying neighborhood, 3 blocks from the train station, not crime ridden -- there's been a major effort to reduce when starting to rise.

Cons: crazy a$$ super -- just make sure you add your own lock, roach and mouse problem (not to the extent you constantly see them but like with most NY apts a little prevention takes care of that.

Not sure of the rent but if you're a decent nice person the LL may work with you.

From what I'm told the apartment is very roomy. The apartment is above me so if you have a certain adversion to cannibus then you might not want to take it since my plan is once it becomes medically legal to smoke I will be puff puff puffing away.

Hahahaha

Old 05-09-2014, 10:50 PM

515 posts, read 625,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoogyd View Post
I like this topic and all of the answers.

Some New Yorkers wouldn't dare move to the Bronx because they would rather spend 2K sharing an apartment in the city with strangers/friends to say what? That they're making it? If you can't make it on your own then you ain't making it in my opinion. You can take that 2K and rent a decent one bedroom in nicer parts of the Bronx or even rent out a 3 bedroom house.
It is not just to say they are making it. People live in Manhattan for everyday access to the things they love. I cannot find that in the Bronx or anywhere else I find. I have lived other places and the suburbs and giving up space is well worth it for what I gain.

That being said, I've never had roomates in the city and with a wife and child, which I have now, I certainly wouldn't consider living with another family just to selfishly maintain the conveniences of the city.

Old 05-10-2014, 04:40 AM

577 posts, read 901,512 times
My husband was looking at office space in manhattan yesterday and came home with the same question. Going rate is $30/ sq ft. He was looking at 2500 sq ft offices... that would be 75k month! He doesn't understand how anyone can maintain a business in the city while still paying employees. In fact most of the offices he looked at were small start ups going out of business. Even the agent told him he feels there is a bubble going on that can't last forever-- I don't know if that's any comfort. Needless to say he won't be renting any of those offices!

Old 05-10-2014, 05:13 AM

2,517 posts, read 4,261,073 times
One word...HANDOUTS. That's how they make it.

Old 05-10-2014, 05:22 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,881,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mermaid825 View Post
My husband was looking at office space in manhattan yesterday and came home with the same question. Going rate is $30/ sq ft. He was looking at 2500 sq ft offices... that would be 75k month! He doesn't understand how anyone can maintain a business in the city while still paying employees. In fact most of the offices he looked at were small start ups going out of business. Even the agent told him he feels there is a bubble going on that can't last forever-- I don't know if that's any comfort. Needless to say he won't be renting any of those offices!
Look at co-working spaces.

Old 05-10-2014, 08:32 AM

10 posts, read 28,728 times
Now some people said (to my understanding) half of NYC is under the poverty line, i don't think that's accurate.

"Under the less exacting federal standard, a family of two adults and two children was defined as poor in 2012 if it made less than $23,283, yielding a poverty rate of 20 percent in the city. But under the city’s definition, which takes into account benefits like food stamps and expenses like higher living costs, the income threshold was $31,039, resulting in a rate of 21.4 percent."

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/30/ny...inds.html?_r=0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City