Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 09:56 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,473,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizfromtheBronx View Post
The actual definition of the word grimy. Kinda irty. I just don't think PB is as nice, visually, of a neighborhood, as parts of TN/CC. If you're talking about the building on the corner of Middletown/Bruckner Blvd, that is definitely PB.

Don't get me wrong, it's NICER than lots of other neighborhoods....and can be a viable option for many, depending on their needs and preferences, but it's far from being the perfect solution many tout it to be.

I may be reading a little too much into tone (written word, internet and all that), but you seem to be taking my personal opinion about these neighborhoods a little personally.
Yeah, you are reading too much into it. It's not possible for me to take your opinion personally because I really don't have any skin in this, I am not the one contemplating buying a house.

I just found your opinion...interesting, because I haven't heard the word "grimy" or "gritty" used to describe either PB or TN. I'm a native Bronxite too who has resided in (and traveled through) various Bronx nabes over the years. Usually when I hear the terms "gritty" and "grimy", they are applied to far more dicey places. Just my opinion too, of course.

As it relates to the OP, I think that investing in TN wouldn't be that bad of an investment. That about sums up the reason why I posted here to begin with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 07:36 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,240,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertee View Post
The area around Botanical Gardens and the Zoo is completely flooded with traffic. With street parking, you are competing with the students from Fordham U. Plz stay away from Kingsbridge, its quiet, clean, safe and affordable. If too many outsiders come, the lace wil loose its charm and affordability. So plz move to Pelham Pkwy!
Actually the parking off Fordham is not that bad. Many of the students don't have cars. But maybe you want new people to stay away, lol.

Old 05-08-2014, 09:07 AM

2,465 posts, read 2,761,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Yeah, you are reading too much into it. It's not possible for me to take your opinion personally because I really don't have any skin in this, I am not the one contemplating buying a house.

I just found your opinion...interesting, because I haven't heard the word "grimy" or "gritty" used to describe either PB or TN. I'm a native Bronxite too who has resided in (and traveled through) various Bronx nabes over the years. Usually when I hear the terms "gritty" and "grimy", they are applied to far more dicey places. Just my opinion too, of course.

As it relates to the OP, I think that investing in TN wouldn't be that bad of an investment. That about sums up the reason why I posted here to begin with.
Former TNer here. I'll agree that TN and PB have gone through many changes in the last 5-10 years. I've said before I find TN to be much dirtier, etc. than previously. I don't know that I'd describe them as "grimy" in the sense of low class. IMO, the grimy designation has to do with things like being dirtier.

Old 05-08-2014, 09:36 AM

20 posts, read 43,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
Former TNer here. I'll agree that TN and PB have gone through many changes in the last 5-10 years. I've said before I find TN to be much dirtier, etc. than previously. I don't know that I'd describe them as "grimy" in the sense of low class. IMO, the grimy designation has to do with things like being dirtier.
Charmed- when you say 'dirtier' do you mean that the quality of life (restaurants, people) has gone down or that the area has literally gotten dirtier with trash/clutter?

Old 05-08-2014, 10:07 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,392,886 times
Parts of Country Club still have a nice look to them, but those areas are more suburban in nature, but the commute would be close to an hour and a half to the Financial District. City Island would also be a very nice place to raise a family, but the commute to the Financial District via transit would be a labor of love, i.e, you were in love with living on City Island as it would take at least an hour and a half. Riverdale has good schools, but condo and single-family prices are going to range higher than $600k; a co-op would be in range, but family-sized condos would be a bit more expensive, unless you were looking at a 2BR where there are a few around $600k.

If it were not for the taxes, I would actually recommend Pelham in Westchester, especially since you are planning for a family, given its excellent town school system. You would find options for a cozy house for under $600k in Pelham, though not The Manor, but the taxes would be about three times the current tax rates that you would pay in the city. You would likely have a tax bill of about $15k in Pelham for a house that is approximately $600k, but that's because of the small school system and town services that you would not get in The Bronx. Your commute would actually be as fast, or faster, between Metro-North and the subway (~35 minutes on MNRR/~15 minutes on the subway/plus transfer time at GCT), to the Financial District, with negligible difference on the Manhasset commute. However, if you found yourself needing private schools, especially with more than one child, the taxes are not terribly outrageous as you have a good town school system.

Check the schools in the areas you are considering, factoring that there could be changes due to overcrowding, reassignments, etc. by the time that you need schools for your future family. Insideschools.org: Your independent guide to NYC public schools is a good resource for school evaluation, as not all city schools are equal.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 05-08-2014, 11:45 AM

1,418 posts, read 2,546,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Actually the parking off Fordham is not that bad. Many of the students don't have cars. But maybe you want new people to stay away, lol.

Haha

Old 05-08-2014, 01:25 PM

12 posts, read 35,119 times
Hi,

How is the area North of the 242nd street No.1 train station? Specifically 242-252 Broadway area. Does it get noisy and/or busy on summer day/evenings? Crime? Basically overall quality of life?

Old 05-08-2014, 02:05 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,688,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Parts of Country Club still have a nice look to them, but those areas are more suburban in nature, but the commute would be close to an hour and a half to the Financial District. City Island would also be a very nice place to raise a family, but the commute to the Financial District via transit would be a labor of love, i.e, you were in love with living on City Island as it would take at least an hour and a half. Riverdale has good schools, but condo and single-family prices are going to range higher than $600k; a co-op would be in range, but family-sized condos would be a bit more expensive, unless you were looking at a 2BR where there are a few around $600k.

If it were not for the taxes, I would actually recommend Pelham in Westchester, especially since you are planning for a family, given its excellent town school system. You would find options for a cozy house for under $600k in Pelham, though not The Manor, but the taxes would be about three times the current tax rates that you would pay in the city. You would likely have a tax bill of about $15k in Pelham for a house that is approximately $600k, but that's because of the small school system and town services that you would not get in The Bronx. Your commute would actually be as fast, or faster, between Metro-North and the subway (~35 minutes on MNRR/~15 minutes on the subway/plus transfer time at GCT), to the Financial District, with negligible difference on the Manhasset commute. However, if you found yourself needing private schools, especially with more than one child, the taxes are not terribly outrageous as you have a good town school system.

Check the schools in the areas you are considering, factoring that there could be changes due to overcrowding, reassignments, etc. by the time that you need schools for your future family. Insideschools.org: Your independent guide to NYC public schools is a good resource for school evaluation, as not all city schools are equal.
I have to to say no thanks to City island. There is a open heroin problem on the Island. That's from very close buddies who are clam diggers on the Island. If your a Islander you know what that saying means.

Liz, I agree with you on Da Neck. Unfortunately it's an area that got hurt by the no document loans. Blocks where there were 6-8 1 family homes were suddenly besieged by 30 3 family fedder homes. Couple that with the lack of renters then came good ole section 8. Just look at Tremont Ave compared to 15 years ago. Drive west of Tremont towards Brismade or Swinton Ave. The area will be Castle Hill/ Soundview within 10-15 Years. BTW to those posters who are enamored with the mob. One particular mobster from the Neck had a direct hand in building all those ugly looking homes. Every time I drive by the old Charlies Inn on Harding, I just SMH.

If I had to live in the East Bronx then I would choose Country Club. A lot of nice homes and very safe. You have to be prepared to surrender your park in the summer to outsiders. The balloon cordoned off BBQ's.

BTW getting off the Bronx River N/B onto Pelham Pkwy or Gunhill Rd is absolutely brutal!

Last edited by Norwood Boy; 05-08-2014 at 02:20 PM..

Old 05-09-2014, 07:54 AM

1,602 posts, read 1,914,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
Liz, I agree with you on Da Neck. Unfortunately it's an area that got hurt by the no document loans. Blocks where there were 6-8 1 family homes were suddenly besieged by 30 3 family fedder homes. Couple that with the lack of renters then came good ole section 8. Just look at Tremont Ave compared to 15 years ago. Drive west of Tremont towards Brismade or Swinton Ave. The area will be Castle Hill/ Soundview within 10-15 Years. BTW to those posters who are enamored with the mob. One particular mobster from the Neck had a direct hand in building all those ugly looking homes. Every time I drive by the old Charlies Inn on Harding, I just SMH.

If I had to live in the East Bronx then I would choose Country Club. A lot of nice homes and very safe. You have to be prepared to surrender your park in the summer to outsiders. The balloon cordoned off BBQ's!
Thanks, you articulated what I guess I was having trouble saying. It used to be a nice neighborhood filled with SFH, maybe 2 family homes. Then all of these 3-6 family monstrosities started popping, up, and with that comes more population. More humans = there goes the neighborhood.

Country Club is actually where I grew up (right on the border, near Loretta's). It's still beautiful, but has the same annoying bus to train problem as Throggs Neck (albeit the bus ride is shorter). I don't think Mom will ever leave.

Interesting about City Island, did not know about that. I'll have to ask my friend who lives there (and ironically, is in Bronx Narcotics).

I'm actually, in a month or so, moving back to the Bronx for a few months, in a major "prep for the next step in life" type thing. I am NOT looking forward to the commute, at all.

Old 05-09-2014, 08:38 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,392,886 times
I had not heard the same issue about City Island, either, although drug use occurs in any neighborhood. Given CI's character, and small town atmosphere, such a situation would alter the tone of the community, especially if there is a market for drug sales, given the transient population attracted to the restaurants.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City