Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 08:53 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,931,037 times

Advertisements

I'm surprised no one suggested Morris Park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 06:34 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,639,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brxite View Post
I am looking for some recommendations on neighborhoods in the Bronx. My husband drives to work on Long Island (Manhassett) and I work in the Financial District. As long as my commute is around an hour I will be okay with that. His commute will take him over the Whitestone or Throggs Neck bridge.

I like that the Bronx has the most parkland of any borough so I would want to be close to a park. We are planning on having children within the next two years so I would want to move to a safe/family friendly neighborhood. We generally cook at home more than we go out but I would want a few food options if possible. We plan on buying a house rather a condo so we have a parking space among other things. Max price we are willing to spend is $600k.

We are ruling out Brooklyn because it is way to congested, probably wont be able to find a house with a parking spot and walking distance to subway plus, I believe it is over hyped and therefore overpriced.

We are ruling out Queens/Long Island because we have lived in many areas (Bayside, Astoria, Sunnyside - as well as Long Island) and although we like the areas, they are too expensive.

This has brought us to the Bronx. An undervalued borough with amazing potential, more parkland than any other borough combined, and the location. I am still paranoid and remember the terrible gas lines after Sandy throughout BK/QNS and Nassau County. Also, I want to explore Westchester county and the Hudson Valley more and more and I think that living in the Bronx would allow me to do so. I grew up in the suburbs of Long Island and I love the outdoors and green space. I like that certain places in the Bronx have a suburban feel but easy access to the city.

Does anyone have any recommendations and maybe could list a few pros and cons of each?

Thank you!!
I also wouldn't live anywhere without a great open space close by. NYBG is by far my favorite space - it's an amazing amenity to be able to walk to. Van Cortlandt Park always seemed kind of eh to me. It's huge but not the best designed space. I live in Bedford Park and can walk easily to the NYBG, and there is also an entrance on the Pelham Parkway side. Mosholu Parkway and Pelham Parkway are also nice green spaces. We walk to Arthur Ave pretty frequently -- I don't know why people don't recommend Belmont more - I love visiting Arthur Avenue and think it would be a fun place to live. The downside is that transportation is not great - far from the subway. Of the 3, Bedford Park has the best transportation with 2 subway lines and a metro north stop.

Old 05-05-2014, 06:43 AM

9,249 posts, read 24,110,606 times
I would suggest somewhere around the area where Pelham Parkway,Morris Park and Pelham Gardens meet....specifically around Pelham Parkway and Williamsbridge Rd so that you stay close to a business district and the 5 train stops for getting downtown.
Most of Pelham Gardens,except for the couple of blocks just East of Williamsbridge Rd, is a hike from the subway and any real shopping.The Indian Village area,which is South of Pelham Parkway,East of Williamsbridge Rd and West of Jacobi Hospital is really nice,nicer than a lot of a Riverdale and only a few blocks from the subway.If that area is too expensive,anywhere between or around the Morris Park and the Pelham Parkway 5 stations would be good.

There is an entrance to the Hutch to the Whitestone off of Pelham Parkway just a mile or less to the East.

Old 05-05-2014, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
I would suggest somewhere around the area where Pelham Parkway,Morris Park and Pelham Gardens meet....specifically around Pelham Parkway and Williamsbridge Rd so that you stay close to a business district and the 5 train stops for getting downtown.
Most of Pelham Gardens,except for the couple of blocks just East of Williamsbridge Rd, is a hike from the subway and any real shopping.The Indian Village area,which is South of Pelham Parkway,East of Williamsbridge Rd and West of Jacobi Hospital is really nice,nicer than a lot of a Riverdale and only a few blocks from the subway.If that area is too expensive,anywhere between or around the Morris Park and the Pelham Parkway 5 stations would be good.

There is an entrance to the Hutch to the Whitestone off of Pelham Parkway just a mile or less to the East.

Bluedog - I don't see the NYBG Pelham Parkway entrance on the map - is always open?

Old 05-05-2014, 07:19 AM

503 posts, read 900,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
I second this

Old 05-05-2014, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
Bluedog - I don't see the NYBG Pelham Parkway entrance on the map - is always open?
Are you referring to the entrance on the East side of Bronx Park? Yes,it is always open as far as I know.At least I've never gone there during normal hours and found it closed.It is called The Waring Gate and it is accessed by a footbridge in Bronx Park@Waring Ave and Bronx Park East.The footbridge goes over The Bronx River Parkway and right into the garden near the forest and children's garden.I think if you look closely at most NYBG maps you will see it.

They don't exactly promote it's use,I guess because it is manned by only one person.School busses seem to use it a lot though at this time of year.They park along Bronx Park East and unload there.I think even if you just google map the NYBG and zoom in on the East side around Waring Ave you will see how an offshoot of the Bronx Park walkways goes over the Bronx River Parkway and into the garden.It is definitely not an ADA compliant entrance which might be a reason why they don't publicize it too much even though it is the closest entrance to a subway stop.

Last edited by bluedog2; 05-05-2014 at 08:01 AM..

Old 05-05-2014, 07:49 AM

80 posts, read 110,516 times
I would strongly suggest renting in an area that appeals to you first for a year or 2 before buying, especially if you have never lived in the Bronx before. Different parts of even the same neighborhood can have big differences in everyday quality of life. I.e. vehicle traffic, health (methadone) clinics, proximity to subway (walking distance=good. Too close= too much foot traffic and possible undesirable people hanging around loitering.). Good luck.

Old 05-05-2014, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD-2023 View Post
I would strongly suggest renting in an area that appeals to you first for a year or 2 before buying, especially if you have never lived in the Bronx before. Different parts of even the same neighborhood can have big differences in everyday quality of life. I.e. vehicle traffic, health (methadone) clinics, proximity to subway (walking distance=good. Too close= too much foot traffic and possible undesirable people hanging around loitering.). Good luck.
Pretty good advice for virtually any neighborhood in any borough of NYC.

Old 05-05-2014, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Are you referring to the entrance on the East side of Bronx Park? Yes,it is always open as far as I know.At least I've never gone there during normal hours and found it closed.It is called The Waring Gate and it is accessed by a footbridge in Bronx Park@Waring Ave and Bronx Park East.The footbridge goes over The Bronx River Parkway and right into the garden near the forest and children's garden.I think if you look closely at most NYBG maps you will see it.

They don't exactly promote it's use,I guess because it is manned by only one person.School busses seem to use it a lot though at this time of year.They park along Bronx Park East and unload there.I think even if you just google map the NYBG and zoom in on the East side around Waring Ave you will see how an offshoot of the Bronx Park walkways goes over the Bronx River Parkway and into the garden.It is definitely not an ADA compliant entrance which might be a reason why they don't publicize it too much even though it is the closest entrance to a subway stop.
They're very sneaky about that. It's close to the children's garden then - maybe by the picnic area? From the map it looks closer to the family garden, but I can't tell really. I've never seen it from inside the garden but would like to be able to use it to cut through to Pelham Parkway/WPR - sometimes we have appts. over there and usually go down to Fordham Rd. and take the bus over. Not the most pleasant trip. Sorry to get off topic.

Old 05-05-2014, 09:10 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,271,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
When the OP mentioned she wanted a place with a better retail corridor I thought of Morris park as well, not sure if it's an ideal fit commute wise though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City