Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 01:56 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,079,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
Your post is funny and so accurate. I am guilty of trying to look younger myself and had to laugh lol
Nah its true, very true. These ladies realize they are not physically attractive until the bouncer at posh lounges tell them to wait online or don't let them in, or if they travel to submit regions of the country where beauty and being very good looking such as Florida and or Southern California. I know of two women who moved to the sunbelt, in Nyc men lined up to be with them, outside of Nyc these women go through longer dry spells than the Redwood forest or Mojave desert. It comes to me to believe in nyc men are less shallow and sleep with anything. Outside of Nyc men might be more shallow. A year ago I want out with a woman from LA and she admitted she has been on more dates in nyc in one year compared to her whole entire young adult life in LA. She told me LA men are more upfront with what they like in a woman, the North East. Might be different. And I said to my self if was an LA guy I would not date, even yet not sleep with her. Either way the op has an uphill battle where ever she goes. My best bet for her is to move to the northwest, or stay here in the northeast and dumb down in what she wants in a guy, be open and creative.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 05-10-2014 at 02:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 02:29 PM

2,071 posts, read 2,214,719 times
Quote:
I've said it before, NYC is a rare case where too many choices have become the problem in the dating scene.
Yes, the choice paradox. Barry Schwartz: The paradox of choice | Talk Video | TED.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
Moving to Texas is not going to help the OP. She is 36 and from what I read seems to be attractive.

36 is getting up there. She cannot be choosy like she used to be or she find herself hitting 40 with the same results.
I think moving would help, not just to improve her odds, as I stated earlier, but also to alter her perception and shock her into action. Of course we don't know much about her since she has not answered any questions.

She probably will hit 40 with the same results. I have dated quite a few never married women in the 35-42 age range, most of them reasonably attractive, so it isn't as if they haven't had options. There is a special kind of crazy that usually accompanies such women. Firstly the man is compared to every other man that they ever dated when they were younger and had a higher market value, and not surprisingly the man almost always comes up short. On top of that there is the unstated, but omnipresent issue of having a family. As best as I can tell many childless women in their late 30s want a family, but are concerned that they will not be able to preform, or worse, if they do succeed in having a child they will have to alter their career path, and that will be an admission that everything they had done career wise up to that point was a waste of time. So she avoids the omnipresent issue by saying "I don't know if I want a family", in hopes that she will find a man that will be so in love with her that he will ignore this obvious diversion and subordinate his own desire to have family to them and grant her complete control over reproductive decisions.

Old 05-10-2014, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelanieNYC212 View Post
I have asked myself a million times, why is it so difficult to meet Mr. Right in NYC? What am I doing wrong? I don't think that I'm asking for too much, typically I look for guys that have a similar background as myself. I am interested in finding a nice guy who is loving, caring, spiritually inclined, family oriented, ambitious, and professional.

Perhaps it's my age that is working against me. I'm 36! Is it too late for me to meet the right guy, get married and have a family? Should I pack my bags and head for Texas or is it still possible to find love and committment in NYC?
This article explains it well. Maybe to well and I have to agree with it.

8 reasons why New York women can’t get a husband | New York Post

Old 05-10-2014, 07:46 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,627,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
This article explains it well. Maybe to well and I have to agree with it.

8 reasons why New York women can’t get a husband | New York Post

article spot on bro!!!

Old 05-11-2014, 03:22 AM

Well this is what happened today. I was at a lounge in Chelsea and met a woman who is an aquitance of a friend. Anyway we danced and things got steamy like x rated steamy. She admitted to me that she found me physically attractive and that is a rarity. She like that I was tall and have very broad shoulders ,and she hated that most men in NYC are short! She is also a native and white with a big butt from a working class family. Again she is looking for longterm and is in her mid thirties and she is worried about having kids late and wants it to happen soon. But we also talked about other stuff like if I had a college education, decent job with benefits, and if I travel which she all liked. I may have got too much of what I asked. She told me about settling down, and I told her I want to take things slow. I have to say that women who are in mid to late thirties with no kids regardless if their transient or local are going to have to settle down and knock down a couple of catergories that they want in a guy. What I hate about NYC is that once one woman comes up to a mans plate, more will come!

Old 05-11-2014, 04:50 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,881,462 times
Quote:
Well this is what happened today. I was at a lounge in Chelsea and met a woman who is an aquitance of a friend. Anyway we danced and things got steamy like x rated steamy. She admitted to me that she found me physically attractive and that is a rarity. She like that I was tall and have very broad shoulders ,and she hated that most men in NYC are short! She is also a native and white with a big butt from a working class family. Again she is looking for longterm and is in her mid thirties and she is worried about having kids late and wants it to happen soon.
There are lots of males within her circles - ie family, schoolmates, etc. Why did she have to go to a club to find an LTR? I had the impression that they often married early and usually to boys they knew from high school.

Old 05-11-2014, 06:06 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,508,399 times
Quote:
Well this is what happened today. I was at a lounge in Chelsea and met a woman who is an aquitance of a friend. Anyway we danced and things got steamy like x rated steamy. She admitted to me that she found me physically attractive and that is a rarity. She like that I was tall and have very broad shoulders ,and she hated that most men in NYC are short! She is also a native and white with a big butt from a working class family. Again she is looking for longterm and is in her mid thirties and she is worried about having kids late and wants it to happen soon. But we also talked about other stuff like if I had a college education, decent job with benefits, and if I travel which she all liked. I may have got too much of what I asked. She told me about settling down, and I told her I want to take things slow. I have to say that women who are in mid to late thirties with no kids regardless if their transient or local are going to have to settle down and knock down a couple of catergories that they want in a guy. What I hate about NYC is that once one woman comes up to a mans plate, more will come!
You just met this woman and she is talking about having kids and the like??? I'm embarrassed for her

Old 05-11-2014, 09:04 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,335,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
I'll disagree with that...Having men think that you're attractive and having men that actively want to settle down with you aren't mutually inclusive. I'll use my friend in my previous statement as a an example...she's attractive, educated, and extremely personable and well rounded...all the other variables aside...does she have a problem getting men to hit on and/or who want to sleep with her? Absolutely not...now does she have a problem finding guys who want to take her seriously, build and be in a long term relationship with her? Absolutely. I think it is largely due to her age...and that's pretty much it.

Personally, if I were single, and saw her out in the street, I wouldn't mind going after her either...but would I marry/settle down with her? Nope, and it's really because of her age (she'll be 40 this year).
And I have several examples of thirty something women that found men that were looking to settle down. And it wasn't a case of them needing to lower their standards either. It was a case of timing and chemistry. So your example is a disputable one.

Old 05-11-2014, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
And I have several examples of thirty something women that found men that were looking to settle down. And it wasn't a case of them needing to lower their standards either. It was a case of timing and chemistry. So your example is a disputable one.
I hope those examples are not from reality TV? I think in some way shape or form someone has to to lower or dumb down their standards here in Nyc if one is planning on an Ltd. It can not only be timing and chemistry alone. But if it is more power to your acquaintances Jad.

Old 05-11-2014, 09:56 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,335,861 times
Quote:
I hope those examples are not from reality TV? I think in some way shape or form someone has to to lower or dumb down their standards here in Nyc if one is planning on an Ltd. It can not only be timing and chemistry alone. But if it is more power to your acquaintances Jad.
Hardly reality TV. Example one of my best friend recently married a guy she met at her MBA prep program. Example two another best friend recently married a childhood friend whom she reconnect with after years of living on different continents. Both women were in their 30s when they met and married their partners. Their men are educated and successful (one is in finance with an ivy MBA the other is a surgeon) the women themselves are successful and highly educated. Then there is my example. While I'm not married yet I happened to meet an amazing guy at age 34 who wants to settle down and have a family with me. We are the same age and I have in no way lowered my standards. He is a successful, attractive, European ibanker. I'm sure he's chased his share of 25 year old bimbos for empty sex but the time came for him to want more and he certainly wasn't finding what he wanted or needed with the "chase a banker" groupies. He was getting tired of it and actually gave up, then he met me. Again, everything has to do with chemistry and timing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City