Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 06:14 PM

4 posts, read 7,910 times

Advertisements

I received a notice to appear in housing court for eviction proceedings due to me subletting my apt that I've lived in for 22 years. I have not sublet or rent out a room to no one. Living in the apt are my fiance, a our small dog and myself. The case was adjourned for next month. My concern is that the judge said to me that I should retain a lawyer if I want to keep my rent stabilized apt. I told the judge that I didn't think I needed to do that due to my truth in the matter apart from having years of proof that I do live there. I explained to the judge that I have all the utilities in my name and a valid renewed lease starting as of Febuary 2014 for 2 years. but he still insisted that I retain a lawyer. I'm concerned about what the judge said. What should I do in this matter? Thanx in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 06:17 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,086,482 times
Take the judge's advice,get a lawyer.

And get married to the person living with you.That may be the issue.There might be stipulations in the lease barring occupancy by anyone not on the lease.The court could decide that your "fiancé" is an illegal sub letter.In many buildings it is a breach of contract to have anyone living in an apartment who has not been approved in writing by the landlord.

Last edited by bluedog2; 05-08-2014 at 06:25 PM..

Old 05-08-2014, 06:21 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,243,812 times
Perhaps retain a lawyer, who will also sue the landlord for filing a meritless lawsuit?
First, be certain that your assertions are correct. Having the utilities in your name & paying the rent is not sufficient, if the LL can prove that you were not there, or someone is willing to testify that they sublet & occupied the apt., paying rent to you, whether you forwarded all of it to the LL or not.

Old 05-08-2014, 06:51 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,141,966 times
Get a lawyer. The judge most likely has seen large unscrupulous new landlords pull these kinds of tactics before and win, because they have teams of lawyers and know how to game the system.

At the VERY LEAST, contact a tenants rights group like Free Tenants' Rights Telephone Hotline | Metropolitan Council on Housing

A lawyer might seem like a big expense to you, but it will be a much bigger expense if you end up getting evicted and need to find a new place to live.

Old 05-08-2014, 09:17 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,411,818 times
Definitely obtain legal counsel before going back to housing court. Did you inform the landlord of your roommate, i.e., fiancé, when he moved into the unit? You are free to share your stabilized apartment with a roommate and immediate family; however, the landlord needs to be notified of the new occupant within 30 days of moving into the property. You need not name him on the lease, but you must continue to use the residence as your primary residence as the lessee. An experienced housing attorney will tell you exactly how to prove that your lease was not violated and that you have continued to occupy the residence with the roommate/fiancé.

Overcharging a roommate can be grounds for eviction from a stabilized unit. You need to show that your roommate, since you are not married and thus not legally a family unit, did not pay more than the proportional share of rent during the period in which the property was occupied by both of you. If your stabilized rent is $1,500, for example, he cannot pay more than $750, which is his proportional share, given two occupants of the unit. The check should have always been drawn on your account, as well, where you would collect the proportion of rent from him each month, and apply it to the total. So, you will need financial records to prove that your roommate was not overcharged because you have a stabilized lease in NYC.

Stabilization Code 2525.7(b) is the section that covers proportional rents for occupants not named on the lease. The Met Council on Housing has the stabilization code: Rent Stabilization Code | Metropolitan Council on Housing

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 05-09-2014, 10:26 AM

Thank you for the advice. In case it matters I happen to pay the entire rent, always have for the 2 years we've lived together. What would be the going rate for this type of litigation and to sue the landlord?

Old 05-09-2014, 10:51 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,411,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germanf View Post
Thank you for the advice. In case it matters I happen to pay the entire rent, always have for the 2 years we've lived together. What would be the going rate for this type of litigation and to sue the landlord?
That is very good, and it does matter because the landlord cannot use overcharging a roommate as a means to seek eviction from the apartment, which does come into play with stabilized units.

If you go through the bar association for a referral, you will pay an initial consultation fee of $35 for half an hour, and then the attorney would be able to give you a gauge of the fees required for your case.

New York City Bar Association - Landlord-Tenant Lawyers

Also, check LawHelpNY.org for some good information on eviction cases: New York

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 05-09-2014, 04:02 PM

900 posts, read 2,373,470 times
Did you receive a warning to correct the problem?

Did you talk to your LL before going to court?

Weren't you given the chance to cease and desist?

On what grounds are you sueing the LL? You haven't been evicted yet so what are you out of?

Old 05-09-2014, 04:55 PM

Yes I received a warning and reached out to the LL and their lawyers several times with no reply. There is and was nothing to correct I haven't and I am not subletting. I believe they're trying to see if they can get the apt. Its a waste of my time to appear in court for pretty much no reason. Basically my "Time is Money" I work on commissions. When I'm not at work it costs me money apart of having to spend more money on a lawyer.

Old 05-09-2014, 05:08 PM

298 posts, read 707,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germanf View Post
Yes I received a warning and reached out to the LL and their lawyers several times with no reply. There is and was nothing to correct I haven't and I am not subletting. I believe they're trying to see if they can get the apt. Its a waste of my time to appear in court for pretty much no reason. Basically my "Time is Money" I work on commissions. When I'm not at work it costs me money apart of having to spend more money on a lawyer.
Just think of yourself as "earning" your subsidized rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: