Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 03:24 PM

37,156 posts, read 39,430,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyberrios View Post
Thank you! I wonder who is the biggest ethnic group her in New York. Do you know?
You can see some of that here. For racial composition according to the US census's categories, non-Hispanic white account for the largest proportion of the population. However, it's hard to say what ethnic group is the largest as that'd be dependent on what you consider the boundaries of an ethnic group are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2017, 04:19 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,283,315 times
Yes.

All your base are belong to us.

Old 12-05-2017, 06:56 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,771,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowplayer2 View Post
hell yeah i never get rob in chinese communities, i hope they take over everywhere.
There's been talk about the Chinese moving to NYCHA in certain parts of Harlem & long standing residents resenting it fearing they'll be displaced because of it or something like that. There was a thread about this here I think about a year ago. I remember it because I was surprised to hear there are Asians in NYCHA in Harlem.

Old 12-05-2017, 09:42 PM

3,614 posts, read 1,737,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert5 View Post
Yesterday Little Italy, today Dyker Heights, tomorrow Staten Island!
I recently learned that the San Francisco bay area (4+ million people) is now about 38% Asian (2010 census). Up from about 18% when I lived there 1990ish.
Tomorrow has arrived. They are buying up Staten Island too. Between the Russians, the Hasdiacs, and the Chinese this is becoming a booming seller's market and most of these buyers are willing to engage in an all-out bidding war because inventory is so low right now.

Old 12-06-2017, 03:34 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,248,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
There's been talk about the Chinese moving to NYCHA in certain parts of Harlem & long standing residents resenting it fearing they'll be displaced because of it or something like that. There was a thread about this here I think about a year ago. I remember it because I was surprised to hear there are Asians in NYCHA in Harlem.
The Chinese in particular seem open to living anywhere.

Old 12-06-2017, 09:15 AM

16,083 posts, read 6,857,292 times
Reply to muzic

From my point of view. I have visited a friend in Bayridge for most of 40 years.
It was a predominantly Italian neighborhood. Today it is a majority Asian neighborhood.

In 1960 there was less than 500,000 Asians in the United states.
Two thirds of American /Asians live in the 5 states of California, New York, Hawaii,Texas, and illinois.
The highest population concentration is in California ,New York and Hawaii.
As of the 2010 census 1,878,261 Asians lived in New York which amounted to a 9.9% increase.
Unemployment rates among new yorkers by race as of 2011
was 7.3% for whites, 6.8% for asians, 13.4% for hispanics and 17.1% for blacks.

To answer your question?
Yes.
Where there is an increase in population and available
employment people will come by the droves.
New York has always been called the melting pot.
Races of people cycle in and out over generations.
Most neighborhoods except for a few pockets eventually
change.The old generations retire and move out to
more friendly and less tax burdened states while new
and fresh faces move in to grab a slice of the American Pie.
If you are retired and living in New York and inflation is not biting into
your quality of life consider yourself fortunate.

Old 12-06-2017, 10:10 AM

1,339 posts, read 1,685,998 times
I openly admit that I don't like Chinese people coming to my neighborhood. They bought up beautiful stately single family homes, razed them, and built disgusting monstrosities which house 3-4 families at once. They also operate illegal daycare centers, spit on the street and generally just bring filth with them. We've also seen an increase in people pilfering the garbage for cans. The one good thing I can say is they do not bring violent crime with them (but they absolutely do bring criminality--see the poster many posts back who was dead on about them operating "massage" parlors).

I like every single other ethnicity in this city but there is something about how Chinese people come into a neighborhood, infiltrate it and basically take over (while insulating themselves) that really rubs me the wrong way. I absolutely adore Koreans, though.

Old 12-06-2017, 11:13 AM

881 posts, read 615,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Can only mean good things for the rejects in the projects. Must mean the Chinese feel safe (enough).

In Flushing the projects downtown are in the midst of all that economic activity. I'm sure the residents felt apprehensive but not as much as when they had their own kin shootin' up the place!

Old 12-06-2017, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGR_NYR View Post
Tomorrow has arrived. They are buying up Staten Island too. Between the Russians, the Hasdiacs, and the Chinese this is becoming a booming seller's market and most of these buyers are willing to engage in an all-out bidding war because inventory is so low right now.
Don't I know it! Looking for apartments now, I find that a surprising number of landlords are Chinese!

Though I think your "Russians" are Jews like the Hasidim, only not religious (or not so orthodox), and they traditionally have an extreme preference for living among their own such that they will gladly pay more for less just to be near other Jews.

Old 12-06-2017, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
The Chinese in particular seem open to living anywhere.
Indeed! There are even Chinese restaurants in Iraq! In Africa, in Pakistan, South America...all over -- and not just recent arrivals, either, though most are.

They're more widespread than the Jews.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City