Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 04:26 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyn1234 View Post
You could try parking under the BQE in Brooklyn- like in Fort Greene. There's a camper that people are living out of that's always parked under it around Ryerson and Park. I've never seen anyone bother them over there and it's a quick jump over the Brooklyn/Manhattan bridges to get into the city.
Speak of the devil, I just noticed coming off the BQE at Metropolitan yesterday a van parked in the lot under the freeway that somebody was obviously living in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 06:05 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
If I was you, I'd trying finding places far out in Queens, maybe by the Jamaica or Queens Village areas.

NYC is not Los Angeles or California where this type of living is accepted and tolerated. As you see, NYC is the equivalent of a police state. There are cops EVERYWHERE. Whereas, LA doesn't have that many cops to hassle folks.

The east village is no longer the Bohemian enclave it once was. Rich people moved in and messed up the vibe.
The problem in those areas are far from the places where he needs to be to perform his music. I don't see that working long term. Dude should rent a room somewhere. Or look out for the various affordable housing for artists (though it will take awhile to get in).

Basically, I agree with you that this kind of living isn't tolerated in NY and the cops will eventually be all over you.

Old 06-06-2014, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
How about you ditch the vehicle (gas, insurance), ditch the cellphone which I'm assuming has internet since you're posting here ($100?), ditch the gym membership ($25-50?), combine the savings with your $400-500 per week (which isn't too shabby if you have no debt), and get a place to live! I'd much prefer to have a roof over my head than keep those luxuries and live on the street.
Well, as a musician and a freelancer he needs to be able to get calls to get JOBS. So the cell phone is essential. So is the internet. I agree with you on the rest, though. Not only is living on the street bad, what if the cops impound his vehicle or it gets robbed (and if it's his home, that completely sucks). A certain type of criminal targets people on the street, especially if they think the person has money.

Old 06-06-2014, 06:47 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnisbeast1 View Post
For one, I'd never live in the upper west side with a bunch of spoiled yuppies. Two, that's an RV. I have a 9 foot long truck not a huge ass camper that takes up 2-3 spaces. Nobody would know I'm living in the truck since I have super dark shades going around the windows.
Oh, sorry, for posting an article that obviously had absolutely no relevance to this thread

Old 06-06-2014, 06:57 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
Long haul truck drivers basically do this every night. I've seen them parked over near Javitz Center waiting to unload. It's pretty quiet and industrial over in that area. Probably nobody would bother you if you're careful not to let the truck idle (illegal and a stiff fine), parked in a legal spot, and adhered to alternate side street parking rules.

I slept in a truck for 6 months when I first started out driving long haul. I showered every night and the truck stops have laundry facilities. Saved a ton not having any car or apartment to pay for. It was fun for awhile, but for only for awhile. One issue is dealing with the outside noise when you're trying to sleep.
Not sure if this will still be the case in the Javitz area after the subway station (7 train extension) opens up at 34th St and 11th Ave this summer. Bloomberg Rides 7 Train to Hudson Yards Station He Helped Build | NBC New York I suppose even with the new subway station, the neighborhood will still have an industrial feel.

Old 06-06-2014, 07:55 AM

782 posts, read 859,145 times
Ahh yes...the new age where the homeless have Iphones and gym memberships. You may want to rethink your priorities...

Old 06-06-2014, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funcrusher3000 View Post
Ahh yes...the new age where the homeless have Iphones and gym memberships. You may want to rethink your priorities...
I've seen homeless people shower at the city owned gyms. Membership is only $150 for the year.

Smartphones do not cost anywhere near the amount of money that it takes to pay the rent.

Old 06-06-2014, 02:05 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,986,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funcrusher3000 View Post
Another wise prophet chimes in.

Old 06-15-2014, 10:43 PM

16 posts, read 33,132 times
Sorry for the late reply. Thanks to everyone encouraging and supporting my decisions. As for the "haters", you clearly haven't read my past replys about me enjoying the life of living in a truck. I could care less if you think my priorities are out of whack. They're MY priorities, not yours. I might start a blog/youtube channel if you guys are really interested in it!

Old 06-15-2014, 10:46 PM

16 posts, read 33,132 times
One more thing, is parking under the BQE free?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City