Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 09:48 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,329,185 times

Advertisements

Where I live in Queens (Ridgewood) you should easily be able to find a 3 bedroom for under $3k. Door to door I am less than 40 minutes to the Meatpacking District without any transfers. Very walkable and a decent selection of playgounds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 09:52 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,440,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Not quite sure why'd you want to move to NYC when your husband's job appears to offer you the luxury of being able to live anywhere in the U.S. There are places that offer a better overall value and quality of life for you and your family than nyc. NYC is not a family friendly city. Sure, people manage to make it work for them but it's an awkward often unpleasant process. Why go through that when you don't need to? My apologies if I come off abrasive, just trying to gain an understanding of why specifically you need to move to NYC.
Wondering the same thing.

Old 06-05-2014, 10:03 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,155,114 times
I completely understand why they want to do it. I think it would be a fantastic experience for the kids, and could be fun for the parens as well.

I say they should go for it if they can!

Last edited by Henna; 06-05-2014 at 10:13 AM..

Old 06-05-2014, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
As a former telecommuter, why in the world would you want to move to where you have to commute everyday? You can get a better sense of adventure anywhere else in the country.
Opinion. Me personally, would never want to telecommute. Personally think it will end up bringing down society all together if it becomes the norm.

Old 06-05-2014, 10:13 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,911,237 times
Quote:
Not quite sure why'd you want to move to NYC when your husband's job appears to offer you the luxury of being able to live anywhere in the U.S. There are places that offer a better overall value and quality of life for you and your family than nyc. NYC is not a family friendly city. Sure, people manage to make it work for them but it's an awkward often unpleasant process. Why go through that when you don't need to? My apologies if I come off abrasive, just trying to gain an understanding of why specifically you need to move to NYC.
My thoughts exactly.

NY is the most expensive city in the U.S. and while hubby's salary is fairly good, she'll see their purchasing power reduced significantly by moving here.

If you were moving here with a 6k/mo housing budget, you'd have plenty of options. Park Slope, Battery park city, Forest hills and maybe even the UES would be perfect places for a family, but 3 br for 3k might only be doable in some neighborhoods.
and it won't be in the prime family-friendly NYC neighborhoods. mosty likely it will be in those that are far away from manhattan and/or lack amenities.

you should definitely consider NJ, If you're determinted to move here.

Old 06-05-2014, 11:25 AM

9 posts, read 23,801 times
Thanks! This is exactly what I'm looking for. My husband would continue to telecommute the majority of the time, but would be available for in-person meetings and occasional days at the office.

We live in a great area right now, and being able to telecommute is a luxury for us. It allows my husband to hang out with the kids while he takes a coffee break, I can run out with the older kids while the younger one is napping at home, he saves himself a 30 min commute to work, etc.

We don't "need" to live in NY, but many people live in NYC because they enjoy being there, rather than because of a real need. We think living there could be a fun thing to do for a year or two. It would certainly be more expensive than where we live now, but we could afford it. We don't need to live in the hottest area of Brooklyn. It's just something my husband and I have always wanted to do, and imagine how educational it would be for the kids!

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Where I live in Queens (Ridgewood) you should easily be able to find a 3 bedroom for under $3k. Door to door I am less than 40 minutes to the Meatpacking District without any transfers. Very walkable and a decent selection of playgounds.

Old 06-05-2014, 12:28 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,261,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Opinion. Me personally, would never want to telecommute. Personally think it will end up bringing down society all together if it becomes the norm.
Oh there's still plenty of people who share your POV so it will never become the norm, at least not any time soon. IMO it's a relative thing, in some industries it makes all the sense in the world and keeps a lot of costs down.

Old 06-05-2014, 12:30 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,261,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindchen View Post
Thanks! This is exactly what I'm looking for. My husband would continue to telecommute the majority of the time, but would be available for in-person meetings and occasional days at the office.

We live in a great area right now, and being able to telecommute is a luxury for us. It allows my husband to hang out with the kids while he takes a coffee break, I can run out with the older kids while the younger one is napping at home, he saves himself a 30 min commute to work, etc.

We don't "need" to live in NY, but many people live in NYC because they enjoy being there, rather than because of a real need. We think living there could be a fun thing to do for a year or two. It would certainly be more expensive than where we live now, but we could afford it. We don't need to live in the hottest area of Brooklyn. It's just something my husband and I have always wanted to do, and imagine how educational it would be for the kids!
If you really don't need to live in the city but just want to be close then you should definitely also look at the suburbs near the city.

Old 06-05-2014, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Oh there's still plenty of people who share your POV so it will never become the norm, at least not any time soon. IMO it's a relative thing, in some industries it makes all the sense in the world and keeps a lot of costs down.
I hope it doesn't become the norm. It will eventually cause the end of civilization. All those cost savings will eventually crush all micro-economies and turn us into robots.

Old 06-05-2014, 12:38 PM

93,626 posts, read 124,375,652 times
Quote:
If you really don't need to live in the city but just want to be close then you should definitely also look at the suburbs near the city.
I was thinking this or even further out if it is a 2 or 3 times a month deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City