Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 04:44 AM

19,031 posts, read 13,944,967 times

Advertisements

You're not going to find anything with a yard within your stated price range within the NYC sphere of influence. You can certainly find places that fit your bill in random small towns upstate and even Buffalo and Syracuse (probably Utica and a few other mid-sized NY cities also). If you're looking to commute to NYC for work though, there's no where that fits your bill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 07:43 AM

34,018 posts, read 47,252,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citygirl1988 View Post
Is about 100, 000s, nomore then 200, 000 (looking for around that selling price) at all doable to get a home, single family in NY at all. I lived in a co-op my whole life and want something with a nice size yard I can start a family, yet still have some city life., somewhere i actually own.Is there any towns, close to NYC, where owning a home is reasonably afforable anymore,? I was thinking staten island or long island, but even there seems to nothing there. I want something maybe with less then one acre, maybe 3 bedrooms.

And also iam interested in possibly selling my paid off co-op . I would like to know if its worth about 200, 000, do I get any of the profits made from it or just the co-op does? Thankyou
Yes you can find a single family home in NYC for $200,000 max. Only caveats are you are going to be really far from the subway, or in a high crime area, or both.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-16-2014, 09:29 AM

8,679 posts, read 11,071,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert5 View Post
I would suggest spending a few hours on Zillow. It will a lot more educational than mixed comments from people you don't know on the interweb.
Posters who give little information will get wild off the chart answers. That is the deal.

Old 06-16-2014, 09:38 AM

2,465 posts, read 2,760,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
Close to NYC? Probably not, you need to be looking probably at least a 1 hour commute away, somewhere that you have to drive to to another town where the train station is. You will probably have better luck looking at NJ than LI & PA you can definitely find something but about a 2 hour commute from Manhattan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Easton, PA. Bus to NY in about 2 hours or slightly under. I can't imagine commuting that distance every day, though. Also the commute would get quite expensive. I have no idea what the taxes are either.

Easton Real Estate & Easton Homes For Sale — Trulia.com

Speaking as someone who now lives in PA (Carbon County) and commutes to the Bronx for work... It's an absolute brutal commute daily- whether by car or bus. Just about equally expensive as well. Looking at about $1,000 in gas & tolls and the bus service isn't cheaper, and you'll still need a car out in PA.

The closer you are the NJ border, such as around the Delaware Water Gap, there's some really high property tax rates directly related to school taxes. Schools that are now at less than 50% capacity in some areas because when the downturn hit, many homes went into foreclosure and families moved away. Prices on the housing stock is also beginning to rise a bit. For example, last year I looked at a house for $145k it's now listed for $200k. The areas with cheaper housing stock are in communities with sketchy reputations.

Also, there's very little white collar job opportunity, and mainly what's available in NEPA is factory type work a little above minimum wage. Can't raise a family and run a house on that nor is it realistic to commute to NYC daily when you have small/school aged children and a parent 2 hours plus away.

Old 06-16-2014, 12:14 PM

821 posts, read 1,100,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS39 View Post
In NYC you can pay $350,000 to own the right to park your car in a reserved spot in a garage that is not necessarily near to where you live. And pay property tax on the parking space equal to a home.

And if you want to save that you are better off parking parallel and then moving your car every 2 days
Yeah, I am not sure one can buy a telephone booth for 100k here.

Old 06-18-2014, 02:51 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,445,994 times
Island Park NY which is 45 minutes to Penn and nearly every house is walking distance to LIRR has plenty of homes around 200k

Old 06-18-2014, 08:51 PM

237 posts, read 482,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
Close to NYC? Probably not, you need to be looking probably at least a 1 hour commute away, somewhere that you have to drive to to another town where the train station is. You will probably have better luck looking at NJ than LI & PA you can definitely find something but about a 2 hour commute from Manhattan.
The only places in NJ where you can get a house for under $200,000 are in the slums or maybe in far South Jersey, which is not commutable to NYC.

I would say your only option is maybe PA and the commute would be very, very rough. If you could possibly raise your budget to $200k-300k, your options expand greatly.

Old 06-19-2014, 12:31 AM

118 posts, read 160,714 times
Not even close

Old 06-19-2014, 12:44 AM

108 posts, read 120,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citygirl1988 View Post
Is about 100, 000s, nomore then 200, 000 (looking for around that selling price) at all doable to get a home, single family in NY at all. I lived in a co-op my whole life and want something with a nice size yard I can start a family, yet still have some city life., somewhere i actually own.Is there any towns, close to NYC, where owning a home is reasonably afforable anymore,? I was thinking staten island or long island, but even there seems to nothing there. I want something maybe with less then one acre, maybe 3 bedrooms.

And also iam interested in possibly selling my paid off co-op . I would like to know if its worth about 200, 000, do I get any of the profits made from it or just the co-op does? Thankyou

if you are up to it you can try places like ronkonkoma long island or selden long island ( you can find something for 175 to 240) and commute by the lirr trains to nyc. brentwood long island 170 to 220k etc.

Old 06-19-2014, 03:16 AM

191 posts, read 220,551 times
not a house but a studio to 1br coop or condo is doable in some parts of bronx and queens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City