Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 05:00 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,752,854 times

Advertisements

OP this may be the way to go;

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MtsOQz2I09g
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2014, 05:02 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullnyc View Post
Do either one of you live in a rental building in Manhattan or brooklyn?

That is huge for a 1br in either borough. Im willing to bet maybe ya live in an actual house in westchester, long island, staten island or some far away distance in the bronx/queens that you need to drive in somewhere. If thats the case then that explains your comments.
All pre war elevator buildings have 1 br's between 700 and 1,000 sq ft and the ones in Manhattan tend to be the biggest of all.Most 1950's,1960's and 1970's apartment buildings have 1 br's around 700 to 800 sq ft.Only in buildings put up after the 80's begin to have smaller apartments and they do get smaller and smaller every decade but the older housing stock is much more prevalent throughout the city.I have seen 1 br's on the upper West Side that are 1,200 sq ft. I have been living in NYC for over 30 years and have lived in every borough except SI and 700 sq ft is not huge for a 1 br apartment by any measure.Right now I live in a 950 sq ft 1 br and it's only the 3rd biggest 1 br line in the building.The smallest 1 br's are around 825.Studios are 550 to 600.

Old 06-19-2014, 05:31 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
All pre war elevator buildings have 1 br's between 700 and 1,000 sq ft and the ones in Manhattan tend to be the biggest of all.Most 1950's,1960's and 1970's apartment buildings have 1 br's around 700 to 800 sq ft.Only in buildings put up after the 80's begin to have smaller apartments and they do get smaller and smaller every decade but the older housing stock is much more prevalent throughout the city.I have seen 1 br's on the upper West Side that are 1,200 sq ft. I have been living in NYC for over 30 years and have lived in every borough except SI and 700 sq ft is not huge for a 1 br apartment by any measure.Right now I live in a 950 sq ft 1 br and it's only the 3rd biggest 1 br line in the building.The smallest 1 br's are around 825.Studios are 550 to 600.
I agree with this. I must have looked at at least 40 one-bedroom apartments in Brooklyn when I was doing my search a few years ago. They were all around 750-900 square feet. All were in pre-wars built around 1940. There is a huge amount of that type of architecture in Brooklyn, as there is in other boroughs as well.

It's too bad someone has to stoop down to using a comment like "you must live somewhere far away like and area of Queens or the Bronx where you have to drive" to try to discredit others' opinions.

Over all, I would say that 700 square foot is a decent-sized one bedroom. I would never say it's large or huge, nor would I say it's very small.

Old 06-19-2014, 06:07 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,774,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
All pre war elevator buildings have 1 br's between 700 and 1,000 sq ft and the ones in Manhattan tend to be the biggest of all.Most 1950's,1960's and 1970's apartment buildings have 1 br's around 700 to 800 sq ft.Only in buildings put up after the 80's begin to have smaller apartments and they do get smaller and smaller but the older housing stock much more pervasive throughout the city.I have seen 1 br's on the upper West Side that are 1,200 sq ft. I have been living in NYC for over 30 years and have lived in every borough except SI and 700 sq ft is not huge for a 1 br apartment by any measure.Right now I live in a 950 sq ft 1 br and it's only the 3rd biggest 1 br line in the building.The smallest 1 br's are around 825.
I agree with everything you said however with the amount of various apts i see on a daily basis old and new i wonder how soon before your building (depending on a few factors) will make those large 1brs into 2. Its been happening in uws lately as some older rent stabilzed tenants have passed

Old 06-19-2014, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I agree with this. I must have looked at at least 40 one-bedroom apartments in Brooklyn when I was doing my search a few years ago. They were all around 750-900 square feet. All were in pre-wars built around 1940. There is a huge amount of that type of architecture in Brooklyn, as there is in other boroughs as well.

It's too bad someone has to stoop down to using a comment like "you must live somewhere far away like and area of Queens or the Bronx where you have to drive" to try to discredit others' opinions. :rolleyes:

Over all, I would say that 700 square foot is a decent-sized one bedroom. I would never say it's large or huge, nor would I say it's very small.
LOL,just a real estate agent who has to spend all day convincing people that the closet sized apartments he gets to show are "huge".

Old 06-19-2014, 06:31 PM

900 posts, read 2,372,700 times
Oh no dumb and dumber are at it again.lol

I swear it must be these idiots.

As I said before the upstairs nuisances got evicted but hold on, they didn't go anywhere except to the sister's apartment who lives in the building too! Crazy multiple personality girl not only stays there but the low down super lets this crazy person along with the ghetto boyfriend back into the apartment to sleep and do whatever else.

Well next on the list to get evicted is the sister so guess who is probably trying to put up walls to help the evicted ghetto couple down the hall? Yep, the other ghetto couple living down the hall. You not only would this venture be illegal but if Section 8 got wind of it they'd all be thrown out since only the girl with the Section 8 voucher is supposed to be in the apartment.

This whole thing is unbelievable. The OP's apartment lay exactly the same as their and my apartment but mine is slightly bigger. My apartment is small and I could never imagine putting up a wall making my already small living room into an even more tiny space.

Y 'all have me cracking up with the huge jokes.lol

Silverbullnyc, please stop it! Don't encourage these idiots, but then again maybe do so so they'll be next to get kicked out.

Old 06-19-2014, 06:43 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
I agree with everything you said however with the amount of various apts i see on a daily basis old and new i wonder how soon before your building (depending on a few factors) will make those large 1brs into 2. Its been happening in uws lately as some older rent stabilzed tenants have passed
Am seeing the opposite; large one bedrooms being combined to make two or three bedroom apartments.

Right now the demand is for "family sized" apartments so landlords/property owners can get more bang for their bucks with apartments that are larger than smaller. Indeed from what one is hearing it is becoming very hard to find studios and even one bedroom apartments. In contrast to days of old many newer buildings either do not have studios and or one bedrooms or have less of them in favour of larger units. Back in the 1980's or so you would find new buildings full of mainly studios and one bedrooms with perhaps a few two. Now things seem to be totally opposite.

Old 06-19-2014, 07:22 PM

Quote:
That's really a separate issue and they aren't really turning 1 bedrooms into two bedrooms .They are marketing a 1 br as a 2 br . Before I bought my apartment it was rented out as a 2 br because it has a dining room but when it went on the market for sale they had to call it what it is.....a 1 br.

Old 06-21-2014, 07:46 AM

493 posts, read 512,038 times
Your apartment is too small. I put of a sheet rock wall with permission from my landlord and the room was small with my 1bd that was 1050sqft

Old 06-23-2014, 09:17 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,236,113 times
Quote:
Do either one of you live in a rental building in Manhattan or brooklyn?

That is huge for a 1br in either borough. Im willing to bet maybe ya live in an actual house in westchester, long island, staten island or some far away distance in the bronx/queens that you need to drive in somewhere. If thats the case then that explains your comments.

Oh please--is a 700 sq foot apartment in Manhattan or Brooklyn any bigger than a 700 sq ft apartment in Queens? Gimme a break. A 1 bedroom 700 sq ft apartment is not HUGE. It's a decent size, that's all. I grew up in Queens and lived in a 700 sq ft apartment. If you think 700 sq ft is huge, I bet you think 2 inches is equivalent to 8 inches
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City