Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 02:44 PM

9 posts, read 83,487 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone knows the square footage of the apartments and location (area) surrounding the newly constructed Hobbs Ciena buiding on E. 102nd Street. I've tried to find as much info as I could about the building but all I seem to find is the lottery application requirements for it. Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 07:30 AM

Drove by the building and it looks ok other than a project building across the street. Having doubts now about applying to this.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:07 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
http://www.nyc.gov/html/nycha/downloads/pdf/j09octe.pdf

Other than that article from 2009 I cannot find anything.
Where exactly IS Hobbs-Sienna? (or Hobbs-Ciena?)
I often shop in the area of 101st and Second (Associated) and 100th and First (DEALS) so I do know the area a bit.

From the NY Times May, 2010:
Quote:
Your company, in partnership with the Phipps Housing Group, was the first in the nation to begin construction with money from the federal Tax Credit Assistance Program.
A We were the first project, yes. We received around $25 million for the Ciena and Hobbs Court.
Q Tell me about that project.
A There are two separate complexes. Hobbs will have two new eight-story buildings; Ciena has five rehabbed buildings.
We’re starting foundations on the new buildings. The rehabbed buildings were in very, very bad shape — there are a lot of structural issues. So now we’re doing pile-driving in the back to build up the new walls.
It’s all rental, and they’re all affordable. The completion date is about 18 months from now.

Aha, got some addresses:
Quote:
Hobbs Ciena Associates, L.P. is currently accepting applications for affordable housing rental apartments located at 315 East 102nd Street and 314 East 100th Street in East Harlem. These buildings were constructed through the Low-Income Affordable marketplace Program (LAMP) of the NYC Housing Development Corportation and the Multifamiliy New Construction Program of the NYC Department of Housing Preservation and Development.

Applicants will be required to meet income and family size guidelines and additional selection criteria to qualify (please see flyer for details). Applicants will be selected for an interview on a first come first served basis.
Preference will be given to Section 8 voucher holders.Applications will be accepted until fully rented.

To request an application, mail a SELF ADDRESSED STAMPED ENVELOPE to: Hobbs Ciena 350 West 124th Street, New York, NY 10027. Applications are also available in person by visiting the interview office at 350 West 124th Street, New York, NY 10027.

No Broker's Fee. No Application Fee.

I think I've walked by a couple times (and wondered what they were)...they are nice looking and a block away from the Washington Houses (projects.) It's a pretty safe neighborhood and you have the M15 going South on Second and North on First.
If I had to guess my first thought would have been they were senior citizens' buildings.
(I'll check them out...I'm in the mood for DEALS today. )

Noteworthy, it seems these two complexes were the very FIRST to be funded under the Obama Stimulus package.

Last edited by Kefir King; 08-28-2012 at 07:34 AM..

Old 08-28-2012, 09:21 AM

I walked by...HOBBS is very nice, brand new and very near 2nd Ave. amidst several new complexes that look like "market." Only downside is that across the strreet are the Metro-North Plaza Houses...NYCHA, but it seems more elderly than dangerous.
I asked a woman going into Hobbs if the apartments are big, alas: "No Comprende."

(I'd move there for a deal if I wasn't settled.) It's quite a nice looking place.

CIENA is a bunch of connected 5 story row homes that have been rehabbed, maybe 4 or 5 buildings buildings? I noticed that their fire escapes were removed so they are probably sprinklered and elevatored.
Perhaps you could count on the older building having larger rooms but if they were gutted, then old standards might not apply.
They back up to Metropolitan Hospital so probably quite safe...a quarter block from the M15 Select.

What are the "affordable" rents?

Old 08-28-2012, 09:38 AM

Hi Kefir, Thanks a lot for checking it out for me! These are the income limits:

1 bedroom rent is $844.00-min-max income:

1-2 people-30,926-34860.00

2 bedroom rent is 1022.00-min-max income:

2 people-37132.00-39840.00
3 people-37132.00-44820.00
4 people-37132.00-49800.00

The only building I saw was the one located on E. 102nd. From what I understand there's a courtyard that separates two other buildings designated for commercial space on the 103rd side. I did find floorplans online but they are miniscule! Not even zooming in was I able to clearly identify the square footage. If I'm not mistaken the 2 bedroom ranged from 730-930 sq ft. (I'm assuming)

Old 08-29-2012, 03:18 AM

Quote:
The only building I saw was the one located on E. 102nd. From what I understand there's a courtyard that separates two other buildings designated for commercial space on the 103rd side. I did find floorplans online but they are miniscule! Not even zooming in was I able to clearly identify the square footage. If I'm not mistaken the 2 bedroom ranged from 730-930 sq ft.
Can you give me the link for those floor plans...I cannot find them no matter how hard I try.

Old 08-29-2012, 02:43 PM

Sure Kefir. You actually have to scroll to page 5 for square footage and page 21 I believe on this PDF document:

http://www.cb11m.org/files/Hobbs%20Court.pdf

Super small, I know.

I will have to meet a friend who lives 2 blocks away from Hobbs today and will check out the building again. I will ask someone if they know anything about it when I walk by. I'm also curious to know what the monthly parking cost will be at the location. Who knows, we really don't have our hopes high about it but hopefully we'll get status on the place eventually. Stay tuned...

Last edited by CeeCeeMe; 08-29-2012 at 02:53 PM..

Old 08-30-2012, 04:57 AM

I see what you mean, the floorplans can be made immense but that doesn't make the dimensions more readable.
But overall I am impressed.

When did they start moving people in ceecee.

Old 08-30-2012, 07:24 AM

Have no idea when tenants began moving in. Checked the price of parking and it $275 a month. Eek.

Old 08-30-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeCeeMe View Post
Have no idea when tenants began moving in. Checked the price of parking and it $275 a month. Eek.

Another reason to go carless. But in truth, for Manhattan, $275 is dirt cheap.

The reason I asked about when they began moving in (not long ago) was to get some idea if they wee full up and you'd have to get on a waiting list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: