Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 09:53 AM

30 posts, read 43,382 times

Advertisements

After 10 years of the same rent in my tiny Brooklyn studio apartment my landlord has raised it almost double. Unfortunately my salary has not raised much in 10 years to match the skyrocketed rents NYC now has.

I have been thinking moving to Jersey and I have been reading the posts on this site but I still don't know if it's worth it.

I can pay maximum $1,000.00 a month but that would have to include heat/hot water.
I don't have a car.
No kids, no pets, don't smoke.
I want a maximum of 45 minutes commute.
I would prefer bus since job is very close to Port Authority.

Is moving to Jersey really worth it? The commuting is more expensive and the taxes are extra, right?
I see the costs of rent in places like JC and such and they seem to be the same as Brooklyn. I see ads for cheap apartments in JC but I read horrible online reviews about the realtors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2014, 10:07 AM

993 posts, read 1,385,125 times
Before you change states, try looking further east in Brooklyn, for example: Bed-Stuy, Crown Heights, Prospect Lefferts-Gardens.

Be sure you locate a close walk to an subway station, espec an express stop, that lands at Port Authority. Look along the 4 or A express lines for stations, just for starters. Perhaps Nostrand Ave.

Even a local subway station could serve you well, taking a few stops locally then cross platforms to an express to Manhattan/P.A.

To me, it sounds like you liked your neighborhood and if you made friends there, the visiting can still happen easily after you move.

Old 08-03-2014, 10:28 AM

But isn't it just a matter of time before those other neighborhoods get overpriced as well?
Where are all the people who make less than $50,000.00 a year and have lived for over a decade in NYC moving to?

Old 08-03-2014, 10:35 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,967,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TfromGowanus View Post
But isn't it just a matter of time before those other neighborhoods get overpriced as well?
Where are all the people who make less than $50,000.00 a year and have lived for over a decade in NYC moving to?
Why are you worrying about the future when you need a place now?

A matter of time could be 3 years or 30 years. It's completely irrelevant to what you need NOW!

As for where all the people making less than 50k in NYC, many have roommates or live in subsidized housing and this is something you have to do as well. It's a huge percentage of the city.

Old 08-03-2014, 10:39 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,927,516 times
Quote:
That's why you should make sure that you obtain a regulated lease. The brokers and owners won't usually tell you a place is regulated (although sometimes they do) but there are signs. Once you move in, find out the legal rent through DHCR. So many people do this and it's smart.

There are sometimes places in Inwood, never around here but once in a while there will be a studio above 145th for around $1,300.

There are a couple of buildings on St. N Ave across from the park, I know the junior one-beds. go for around $1,000 - $1,100. They are regulated but the owner hides this. The legal rents are probably lower.

I sometimes see "room with a kitchen" things in this area.

Moving to New Jersey is not worth it. Anywhere easily commutable to New York has a similar price tag, and/or if they do not now, they definitely will in the very near future.

Old 08-03-2014, 10:44 AM

Subsidized housing? I don't know anything about that. I don't want to live in section 8 buildings with vagrants, I don't want assistance from the government. I have lived in NYC for 20 years and I never needed help from the government. When I wasn't living with a girlfriend I was living alone.

Old 08-03-2014, 10:47 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,967,563 times
Quote:
Subsidized housing? I don't know anything about that. I don't want to live in section 8 buildings with vagrants, I don't want assistance from the government. I have lived in NYC for 20 years and I never needed help from the government. When I wasn't living with a girlfriend I was living alone.
Then you will be living with roommates. And actually, rent stabilized apartments are a part of subsidized housing.

There is no way to live the good life in NYC under 50k. You'll need either roommates or subsidized housing (and you'd make too much for Section 8) but you could get rent regulated apartments, 80/20s, or Mitchell Lamas. Or maybe some LAMPS. Or if you insist on market rate, you could move into the ghetto (watch the gunfire).

You really have no choice unless you want to be out on the streets.

Old 08-03-2014, 10:48 AM

What is a 'regulated lease'? Does that mean I can pay less after I move in if I find this out? Won't the landlord then scorn me?

Old 08-03-2014, 10:49 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,126,249 times
You could move to the Bronx. There are some nice/decent neighborhoods there. If this listing is for real, it could be a possibility. Huge Studio close to everything, Must see!!! (but there are a lot of scams and bait-and-switch listings on craigslist so beware)

Here is a link to a craigslist search for Bronx apartments from $900 to $1050. If you don't know much about the Bronx, there are several good threads that discuss which are the good areas and which areas to avoid.
Bronx apartments classifieds - craigslist $900 - $1050

Old 08-03-2014, 10:52 AM

Regulated apartments, 80/20s, Mitchell Lamas, LAMPS. It sounds overwhelming. I have to move in 30 days and I have a job.
I DO know that getting anything through city services takes a lot of time and time off work at that. I am just starting this new job. I can't take time off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City