Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 10:42 PM

126 posts, read 156,841 times

Advertisements

So guys, I have a problem. You see, I'll me moving to NYC this month and I can't just visit to look for apartments/rooms.
I have 2 friends there but I can't stay at their apartments.

It would be crazy to arrive in New York with no place to live, so I don't know what to do in this case.
Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2014, 10:50 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
Stay in a hostel for a few nights while you find a room. It would be crazy to try to find a roommate situation from afar.

Hostel New York, NY

Old 09-01-2014, 12:00 AM

19 posts, read 31,367 times
Another idea is to find a cheap airbnb or a temporary sublet (one week to one month) from craigslist. When looking for these places using craigslist, before you write a post dated check, please ask your friend to find out if these places are real, not a scam. Any reasonable temporary landlords would have no problems of your friend to visit the apartment. If it is a not scam, please be considerate of your friend's time and write the check even though there are some minor issues.

If you move to the rental later on and find out other problems, please do not blame your friend for not checking out things carefully. The blaming is the best way to loose a good friend. Appreciate your friend's help and use the temporay stay to find the apartment you like.

Old 09-01-2014, 02:42 AM

1,174 posts, read 1,748,737 times
due to the many scammers you will most likely not find someone to rent you a place without you looking at it or them meeting you. So you will either have to have a friend do it. Or as someone said come and stay in a hostel until you find a cheap sublet or an apartment.

Old 09-01-2014, 03:13 PM

993 posts, read 1,385,938 times
It's not hard to find a good airbnb private bedroom in a shared apartment for some days. Be sure to pick one with good reviews by others who stayed there. Study the photos carefully, then look for reviews that say "looks like the photos." Another important thing to see in a review: "good communication" with the host. A great word to find in an airbnb review: "Clean."

Another tip: check on how "recently updated" is the listing's booking Calendar. You'll waste less time that if you look into listings that keep their calendars up-to-date.

I think Airbnb is much more dependable than Craigslist when an out-of-towner is trying to just get a roof over his head in NYC for a few days or a week. I never stayed in a hostel in NYC, though, so can't compare with that.

Old 09-01-2014, 04:04 PM

Airbnb sounds good.
How many days do you think it'll take to find a room? Just to get an estimate of how many nights I'll be staying.

Old 09-01-2014, 04:04 PM

624 posts, read 983,005 times
airbnb for sure. You can also find airbnb like short term options on craigslist.

When I started my job in NYC, I moved up here first and stayed in airbnb places for month looking at apartments and neighborhoods. When I found the place I liked, I brought my wife up and after her approval we took the apartment.

Old 09-01-2014, 05:21 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,087,687 times
I agree. I use AirBnb when i go on vacation. I used it in Hawaii, Miami, Rio, etc.

I would just rent a room instead of the whole apt though. This way you can get feedback from the apt owner on where to live, etc.

Do you have a job lined up in NYC? Also, how much are you willing to spend? roommates/ no roommates, etc.

Old 09-01-2014, 05:37 PM

993 posts, read 1,385,938 times
I generally spent half a week of evenings on airbnb before I actually landed a room. By the time someone wrote back to me, confirmed it was available, and we mashed out a few details before I'd agree, took 3 or so days each time. Sometimes they'd fail but i had backup choices I was researching meanwhile.

I never just clicked "book it" before I'd communicated with a host, although it's possible to do it that way. I want to hear from them, rather than just book and see it cancel if they don't reply within 24 hours.

I tell people I'm "courting a few hosts" until I book one. It feels vaguely like dating.

If you meant how many days the rentals can last, that varies by each listing. Some for one night, some have 2-night minimums, some discount by the week. Some are weekends only. See their Booking Calendars for availaility. It's all over the map on that.

Last edited by BrightRabbit; 09-01-2014 at 05:45 PM..

Old 09-01-2014, 06:23 PM

I'm not going to work, just to study. My budget is $1300 per month. I know, it's tight.

@BrightRabbit I meant the time you'd probably take since the day you arrive and renting a room (officially).
By the way, most of the rentals that cost $80 or less per night are located in Bedford–Stuyvesant. Is this a safe neighborhood?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City